Who should be our next Coach?

Who should be the next Gophers Coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The only one playing politics is you, wingnut.

She's a tremendous recruiter, and even better coach.

At the D1 level.

She'd win.

TF difference does gender make?
Tremendous recruiter of who, wing nut?

I'm famously a big fan of Coach Smith, but I'd be very surprised if he were gettable at this point. He's two years into building something at a P6 school, and Salt Lake City is a great place to live. As much as I like the guy, we should just leave him alone now.
It never hurts to ask. And it would be a feeler to his agent. Not like they'd take out a front-page ad in the SLC newspaper.

If the answer is indeed no, then that's that. I don't see the harm.

We're very likely talking the 2024-25 season to start, anyway. Maybe by then CS will have had a pretty nice season at Utah in 23-24.

Which in turn means we'll have to pay more to get him. So, I guess there's that as well.

We're very likely talking the 2024-25 season to start, anyway. Maybe by then CS will have had a pretty nice season at Utah in 23-24.

Which in turn means we'll have to pay more to get him. So, I guess there's that as well.
Right. How bad does Smith really want this job and how much are we willing to pay to get him?

Probably easier to get Dutcher. Has explicit out in his contract. And it's still a step up from a non-P5 to a P5, for whatever that's worth (though rumors are SDSU is expected to be added to the PAC).

He makes low $1M range, guessing he would take $2M range here.

Ben Johnson took the job? Does that make him a home run?

“the best we can do” doesn’t make someone a home run. It’s okay to call an okay hire an okay hire.
Holy semantics dude. I think hiring the best we are able to is a home run. I don’t count unattainable. Agree we can feel different on the definition

Maybe we are a really attractive job because of the significant stability the head coaching position has. You can be as bad as Pitino was here and still get 8 years. And we don't know what Coyle will do yet, but Johnson has been about as ineffective as I can imagine, and it still doesn't sound like a sure thing he won't get a third year.

I've seen that before, but I just got the chills re-reading it. It's like it's meant to be. That's a guy I'd be willing to throw some money at. Pay him so that when he's successful, you won't have to remedially jack up his salary. Pay him like the commodity he is.
Exactly. A place where he finishes his career for 5-10 years.

Full circle for him.

The obvious answer is Maynard James Keenan…because it’s Tool and that’s enough for me. The Halftime show would be intense and eliminate the stress of already being down 25.

1677435404073.jpeg

Our chance to hire Craig Smith was 2 years ago.

If the Gophers fire Ben after the season, which they should, they won't be hiring Smith. You can cross that name off the list.

Grand Slam Tier: Eric Musselman

Home Run Tier: Chris Holtmann, Craig Smith, Wes Miller

Solid Double Tier: Brian Dutcher Niko Medved, Pat Kelsey, Darian DeVries

Hi Floor/Low ceiling retread: Tim Miles, Anthony Grant, Travis Ford, Mike Brey

The rest: Mike Rhoades, Dusty May, Leon Rice, Ryan Odom
NOT Leon Rice, no to Boise State crap.

go the Ole Miss route and win (one game vs LSU) without having a head coach?

Her current ones are probably good enough to beat one current B1G team that comes to mind.
Aside from you fantisizing this could be true do you believe she thinks her teams could beat men's teams? Before you answer, consider that she actually knows something about basketball.

Top Bottom