Who should be our next Coach?

Who should be the next Gophers Coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You saw it last night: good talent on that team. He's one of the best recruiters in the country. Had a major hand in the Fab Five and obviously got Kawhi Leonard to SDSU.
Would hope to make that move sooner rather than later.

Though I don't think age should stop it, he's not getting any younger.

Aside from you fantisizing this could be true do you believe she thinks her teams could beat men's teams? Before you answer, consider that she actually knows something about basketball.
Yeah, i was totally serious.

Adjust your sarcasmeter.

But she does know something about basketball, and I AM serious about hiring her to coach the UM men's basketball team. Instant notoriety and credibility. She'd recruit, attract top assistants, and we know she can coach.

Last edited:

A realistic one that has built two mid tier programs in their conference to winners is Brian Wardle (Bradley and UWGB). It wouldn’t be a quick fix with him either, but he’d probably take the job.

I've seen that before, but I just got the chills re-reading it. It's like it's meant to be. That's a guy I'd be willing to throw some money at. Pay him so that when he's successful, you won't have to remedially jack up his salary. Pay him like the commodity he is.

I've said it before, it will always be true. It's almost impossible to overpay for talent. Impossible. When you get down to the nuts and bolts of how important some of these positions are, it's just about impossible to overpay.

You could make an argument that coaches like Nick Saban, Belichick, should have salaries in the $30M and beyond range. For what they have brought their respective situations? You can argue there's no number too big honestly.

Yeah, i was totally serious.

Adjust your sarcasmeter.

But she does know something about basketball, and I AM serious about hiring her to coach the UM men's basketball team. Instant notoriety and credibility. She'd recruit, attract top assistants, and we know she can coach.
That is insane.

I've said it before, it will always be true. It's almost impossible to overpay for talent. Impossible. When you get down to the nuts and bolts of how important some of these positions are, it's just about impossible to overpay.

You could make an argument that coaches like Nick Saban, Belichick, should have salaries in the $30M and beyond range. For what they have brought their respective situations? You can argue there's no number too big honestly.
This is 100% true.

The most underpaid people in the leagues are usually the best.

Chuckling at all the “Craig Smith is ungettable” talk. He’s making $2.1MM/year in a conference that will soon be an afterthought (if it isn’t already). With the right offer (and not even that outlandish), he’d be here in one phone call if that’s the way they wanted to go.

This administration paid the equivalent of a bum off the street $2MM. Don’t you think they’d pay an actually qualified coach a fair amount more?

Chuckling at all the “Craig Smith is ungettable” talk. He’s making $2.1MM/year in a conference that will soon be an afterthought (if it isn’t already). With the right offer (and not even that outlandish), he’d be here in one phone call if that’s the way they wanted to go.

This administration paid the equivalent of a bum off the street $2MM. Don’t you think they’d pay an actually qualified coach a fair amount more?
😍😍😍

I like this line of thinking.

100%. A 6 year $18 million contract with some good incentives gets it done pretty easily imo.

We unfortunately aren't firing him this year, but a few off the main radar guys I like.

Matt Langel Colgate: 54-12 last few years in conference. Tough school to win at, tough to get all kids into the school. (Sound familiar??)

Mark madsen UVU: probably doesn't leave the west coast but done nice things. NBA background, was in MN for a spell

Bryce Drew: not great this year but been around with some good teams. As a reminder, Vanderbilt has maybe the worst P5 bball program history and at one time Drew had 4 nba players there on one team(Garland, Saben Lee, Matt Ryan and Aaron Nesmith)

Bob Richey Furman: career .707 win %, has a Furman as a perennial 25 win team with ncaa opportunities

Again I would blow the doors off and go Beard. But since we won't I like this list of guys not brought up yep. Guys like Smith or Tim Miles will come up, and I think they would certainly be better than CBJ by a mile, they to me are more plateau guys where you float from 11th to 5th in the conference but never really threaten to win it.

I've thought about this a lot and we're in a much more difficult situation than we were when the egregious decision to hire Ben Johnson was made. We need someone that can attract both fans and players/recruits to Gopher basketball again because that person is now the face of the program. Literally the only name that is even semi-realistic that I can come up with is Eric Musselman. Muss has proven he can recruit both high school players and the portal and, almost as important, has shown he can win year after year with a lot of roster turnover which is the new normal in college basketball. I know the names were mostly said in jest, but if the University of Minnesota would ever hire someone with even a 1/3 of the baggage of a Beard or Marshall, we'd never have been in the position we were with Monson, Pitino, or Johnson.

I've thought about this a lot and we're in a much more difficult situation than we were when the egregious decision to hire Ben Johnson was made. We need someone that can attract both fans and players/recruits to Gopher basketball again because that person is now the face of the program. Literally the only name that is even semi-realistic that I can come up with is Eric Musselman. Muss has proven he can recruit both high school players and the portal and, almost as important, has shown he can win year after year with a lot of roster turnover which is the new normal in college basketball. I know the names were mostly said in jest, but if the University of Minnesota would ever hire someone with even a 1/3 of the baggage of a Beard or Marshall, we'd never have been in the position we were with Monson, Pitino, or Johnson.
I would entertain Beard. Marshall, no. I wouldn't want to sit here in suspicion that he's mistreating the players I cheer for.

We unfortunately aren't firing him this year, but a few off the main radar guys I like.

Matt Langel Colgate: 54-12 last few years in conference. Tough school to win at, tough to get all kids into the school. (Sound familiar??)

Mark madsen UVU: probably doesn't leave the west coast but done nice things. NBA background, was in MN for a spell

Bryce Drew: not great this year but been around with some good teams. As a reminder, Vanderbilt has maybe the worst P5 bball program history and at one time Drew had 4 nba players there on one team(Garland, Saben Lee, Matt Ryan and Aaron Nesmith)

Bob Richey Furman: career .707 win %, has a Furman as a perennial 25 win team with ncaa opportunities

Again I would blow the doors off and go Beard. But since we won't I like this list of guys not brought up yep. Guys like Smith or Tim Miles will come up, and I think they would certainly be better than CBJ by a mile, they to me are more plateau guys where you float from 11th to 5th in the conference but never really threaten to win it.
Good list.

I think of Tim Miles as a pretty darn good coach. He had a couple real good years at Nebraska, which is more than Hoiberg can boast at this point, and Fred knocked them dead in Ames. Tim isn't the end all be all, but he's at least a couple levels above our current coach, and things would be much better here right now if he'd been hired a couple years ago.

Considering that Medved has pretty much outperformed Tim at CSU in his tenure tells me a lot about Niko. I'd take him in a minute.

Considering that Medved has pretty much outperformed Tim at CSU in his tenure tells me a lot about Niko. I'd take him in a minute.
Up until this season, I would agree.

They're really down this year, must be pretty disappointing for that fabnase. Not sure what all has gone wrong. Was losing Thorson that big of a blow? Obviously they don't have Roddy anymore. Did they lose some big recruits, were there injuries? No idea, but they're down.

Up until this season, I would agree.

They're really down this year, must be pretty disappointing for that fabnase. Not sure what all has gone wrong. Was losing Thorson that big of a blow? Obviously they don't have Roddy anymore. Did they lose some big recruits, were there injuries? No idea, but they're down.
Roddy was the heart and soul of that team. And they lost 4 of their top 6 players.
Thorson hurt as well.

Medved is a solid coach but winning there at a decent clip is a tough tough thing to do

he wouldnt be at the top of my list but he would be on the list as he would certainly be an upgrade.

Roddy was the heart and soul of that team. And they lost 4 of their top 6 players.
Thorson hurt as well.

Medved is a solid coach but winning there at a decent clip is a tough tough thing to do

he wouldnt be at the top of my list but he would be on the list as he would certainly be an upgrade.
This obviously isn't a 100% thing but I worry about an up and coming coach who has a generational talent for that program. Think like Lillard at Weber St, McCollum at Lehigh Morant etc. That's my worry with Niko. You happen to have a guy who's just so superior talent wise compared to your conference that coaching essentially doesn't matter.

Thorson hurt as well.

Yeah, anytime you lose an NBA player, there's going to be a dropoff. Thorson left two years ago, so that doesn't correlate as tightly. Obviously, Niko needs another shot of talent. That's what I love about Dutcher: as I posted elsewhere, he's one of the best recruiters anywhere. He has literally decades of impressive recruiting in his resume. You'll never have to worry about lack of talent with him.

This obviously isn't a 100% thing but I worry about an up and coming coach who has a generational talent for that program. Think like Lillard at Weber St, McCollum at Lehigh Morant etc. That's my worry with Niko. You happen to have a guy who's just so superior talent wise compared to your conference that coaching essentially doesn't matter.
His teams play good basketball, and that was the case at Drake, too. Whether he can regain and sustain the kind of success he's had there the past few years, we'll find out.

Last edited:

Yeah, anytime you lose an NBA player, there's going to be a dropoff. Thorson left two years ago, so that doesn't correlate as tightly. Obviously, Niko needs another shot of talent. That's what I love about Dutcher: as I posted elsewhere, he's one of the best recruiters anywhere. He has literally decades of impressive recruiting in his resume. You'll never have to worry about lack of talent with him.
Is too old what holds back the Dutcher hire?

This guy has been dominant and has clear strong ties here.

He doesn't miss the NCAA tournament and they were going to be a 1 seed the year COVID shut it down.

Who wouldn't take this in a heartbeat?

Top Bottom