Who should be our next Coach?

Who should be the next Gophers Coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This just seems like an easy position that you latched onto because it's easy to defend.

I don't see where you've actually proven that this matters.
It doesn’t matter?
Do you think anything on this board matters?

I’m just saying if Craig smith is a home run there are probably 50-70 similar resumes out there that we also would have to consider “home runs”

Ncaa tourney appearances: 30% of the time
Ncaa wins: 0% of the time
Make ncaa tournament at 33% of the schools he has coached at

We can find that. If that’s a home run we will be able to hit a home run. People here are giving me confidence

I don't care about "home run" hire.

I care about a head coach that's going to improve our regular season Big Ten record from 1 win and take it up to say 10-15 wins. As the first step in solid improvement.

NCAA tournament coaching record proves nothing about that.

Particularly when that record is at schools that are next to nothing like the U's situation.

I don't care about "home run" hire.

I care about a head coach that's going to improve our regular season Big Ten record from 1 win and take it up to say 10-15 wins. As the first step in solid improvement.

Particularly when that record is at schools that are next to nothing like the U's situation.
Ok. not Sure why you’re so offended by my post then

I'm famously a big fan of Coach Smith, but I'd be very surprised if he were gettable at this point. He's two years into building something at a P6 school, and Salt Lake City is a great place to live. As much as I like the guy, we should just leave him alone now.
Ship has sailed

He has won the same number of NCAA tourney games as a head coach has Ben Johnson.
And he only has coached in 3 more as a head coach than Ben Johnson.

If he didn’t have a Dakota connection this board wouldn’t even know who he was.
He was 3/3 making the NCAA's at Utah State and won a regular season title at USD. I'd say that's a decent ratio of success.

It doesn’t matter?

I’m just saying if Craig smith is a home run there are probably 50-70 similar resumes out there that we also would have to consider “home runs”

We can find that. If that’s a home run we will be able to hit a home run. People here are giving me confidence
Those 50-70 similar resumes ain’t taking this job. That’s why he is also considered a home run.

He has won the same number of NCAA tourney games as a head coach has Ben Johnson.

...which is the same number of NCAA wins that either Jim Dutcher or Clem Haskins had when they were hired here. You don't have to be an analytics geek to take a bit of a deeper statistical dive than that. 🙄

Great, we agree that

I'm famously a big fan of Coach Smith, but I'd be very surprised if he were gettable at this point. He's two years into building something at a P6 school, and Salt Lake City is a great place to live. As much as I like the guy, we should just leave him alone now.
I disagree. It will cost more, but he's gettable. The Pac 12 will be the Mountain West II by 2025.

...which is the same number of NCAA wins that either Jim Dutcher or Clem Haskins had when they were hired here. You don't have to be an analytics geek to take a bit of a deeper statistical dive than that. 🙄
What makes his resume a home run?
If he is a home run there are a ton of guys who are a home run

They probably also had bad records when wearing shoes with purple shoelaces.

Can't defeat that argument!

Those 50-70 similar resumes ain’t taking this job. That’s why he is also considered a home run.
Ben Johnson took the job? Does that make him a home run?

“the best we can do” doesn’t make someone a home run. It’s okay to call an okay hire an okay hire.

I disagree. It will cost more, but he's gettable. The Pac 12 will be the Mountain West II by 2025.
Nah. They aren't losing any schools to the Big 12, and the Big Ten isn't taking any more PAC schools any time soon.

It doesn’t matter?

Treating NCAA appearances when coaching in one bid leagues the same as the Mountain West/Pac 12 is disingenuous. He's 3/4 in multi-bid leagues as of right now. Probably 3/5.

He was 3/3 making the NCAA's at Utah State and won a regular season title at USD. I'd say that's a decent ratio of success.
Decent =\= home run

But yeah I agree with you.

I think it’s funny how turned on everyone is that I’m simply saying he isn’t a home run. He would be an solid get.

Nah. They aren't losing any schools to the Big 12, and the Big Ten isn't taking any more PAC schools any time soon.
The Pac 12 is already often a 3-4 bid league and they're losing two of their four best teams to the B1G and replacing them with BYU and someone else. Oregon/Washington will bolt the first chance they get.

All I'm saying is, he wanted this job before, and the B1G is a better conference, so if we pay the freight, I think he takes it.

Treating NCAA appearances when coaching in one bid leagues the same as the Mountain West/Pac 12 is disingenuous. He's 3/4 in multi-bid leagues as of right now. Probably 3/5.
You can feel free to think he is a home run hire if you want.

You can feel free to think he is a home run hire if you want.
I mainly call it a home run because poaching any coach from another power 6 school is very unlikely. I don't know anything about the new volleyball coach, but I'd call that a home run hire too.

The Pac 12 is already often a 3-4 bid league and they're losing two of their four best teams to the B1G and replacing them with BYU and someone else. Oregon/Washington will bolt the first chance they get.

All I'm saying is, he wanted this job before, and the B1G is a better conference, so if we pay the freight, I think he takes it.
Last sentence is probably true, regardless.

OR/WA have nowhere to go. Big 12 is, at best, a lateral move. Big Ten is their only chance up, so they're stuck waiting for that (if ever).

BYU is going to the Big 12. PAC will add SDSU and someone else, maybe SMU or Fresno. They'll get equal money to the Big 12 for the 10 legacy schools per year. The two newbies will (gladly) accept reduced initial payouts.

I mainly call it a home run because poaching any coach from another power 6 school is very unlikely. I don't know anything about the new volleyball coach, but I'd call that a home run hire too.
I disagree that any coach taken from another power 6 school is automatically a home run.
Logically, That would make Ben Johnson a home run if someone stole him right now and I just can’t get on board with that logic

I can unfortunately buy that.

I disagree that any coach taken from another power 6 school is automatically a home run.
Logically, That would make Ben Johnson a home run if someone stole him right now and I just can’t get on board with that logic
Except there's zero chance of anyone wanting Ben Johnson. For this program, in it's current state, to get another power 6 coach to take the job would be impressive.

He is from minnesota so people know who he is. Your take is crazy.

Whether he settles in at or Utah or not, I know there were multiple reports that Smith really wanted this job when it was open.

He doesn't seem like the type of guy to bail on a program after 2 years but he has consistently left programs after 3-4. All upward moves.

3 at Mayville St.
4 at South Dakota
3 at Utah State
2nd Year at Utah currently

Maybe MN is that final upward move after 3-4 years? (Depending on Johnson release)

Top Bottom