Who should be our next Coach?

Who should be the next Gophers Coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wet_Blanket_Guy

Reaction score
Since today is a breaking news type of day, let's play the always fun game of...who do we want as our next coach.

Here is a poll of some names (big names, local names, P5 assistants at Big time programs...), let's see who the fan's want as our potential next coach.

Since today is a breaking news type of day, let's play the always fun game of...who do we want as our next coach.

Here is a poll of some names (big names, local names, P5 assistants at Big time programs...), let's see who the fan's want as our potential next coach.
I think most will vote for Beard simply because we would have a winning team in 2 years. The down side he would be gone by year 4.
Let's look at an assistant who has mentored under 1-2 big time coaches, someone like Jerome Lang. Go get the #2-3 guy behind a big time blue blood HC who has zero chance of replacing the said bluebloods HC when he retires.

I think most will vote for Beard simply because we would have a winning team in 2 years. The down side he would be gone by year 4.
Let's look at an assistant who has mentored under 1-2 big time coaches, someone like Jerome Lang. Go get the #2-3 guy behind a big time blue blood HC who has zero chance of replacing the said bluebloods HC when he retires.
Arizona is doing pretty well with Tommy Lloyd

At this point if beard came here and has built alot of momentum by year 4 and leaves I'll worry about year 5 another day. Where do I sign up for that?

I don’t really care for this thread but I’d hire Dave Smart.

Mussellman, whatever amount of money it takes. Coyle needs to inject some hope into a shrinking fan base. We are at rock bottom
My first choice. Gotta ask what it would take.
After that Kelsey. Hes the shot in the arm this team needs

Grand Slam Tier: Eric Musselman

Home Run Tier: Chris Holtmann, Craig Smith, Wes Miller

Solid Double Tier: Brian Dutcher Niko Medved, Pat Kelsey, Darian DeVries

Hi Floor/Low ceiling retread: Tim Miles, Anthony Grant, Travis Ford, Mike Brey

The rest: Mike Rhoades, Dusty May, Leon Rice, Ryan Odom

No interest in the retread line. I voted for Paul Mills. I like the Scott Drew tree

“The Reverend” Roger Powell has never been a head coach. He was an assistant at Vandy.

We need to go out find the shadiest guy there is. Someone who can get big money in here to pay these guys. Let’s be honest there is no chance of winning here if we don’t pay. There is no history to think of anymore, fans don’t support the team anymore and we are mired in a 10 year rebuild. Get someone with a big ego that brings in sports cars, cash and women. This is the only way.
Every time we try to hire someone that we think can really grow into a great coach we get burned. Bring in someone that gets kids money and let’s finally do what the rest of the NCAA programs that win have done for years.
This is all said tongue in cheek but might realistically be the only way to compete here. That or like I’ve said a million time find someone that can win with less. Someone who is willing to make their teams play excellent defense and win games in the 50s and 60s.

Maybe Kentucky is fed up with Calipari and he can come here to retire like Tubby did. Have no idea if he can coach, but you better check your wrist for your watch when you shake his hand.

Hire a recruiting coordinator from one of the schools that has been cheating for years. Kentucky, Ohio state, duke, etc. they know all the tricks. Lol

I would still put Kelsey in the home run tier…
If niko is a double then I would put dutcher and devries as triples

Hire a recruiting coordinator from one of the schools that has been cheating for years. Kentucky, Ohio state, duke, etc. they know all the tricks. Lol
We don’t have the donors otherwise we could just do it legally without hiring their guys.

This option isn’t on the list, but would be the ultimate all-time U of M administration wet dream: Becky Hammon.

NOTE: Interestingly, she can coach, learned at the right hand of one of the great coaches of all time, and would almost certainly be more successful than the guy we currently have, who was their original wet dream.

They should have hired Brian Dutcher about 3 coaching searches ago but they keep making stupid hires and you end up with someone who should probably be an assistant coach at a mid-major right now.

Now Dutcher might be a little on the older side and they might want someone a little younger, but I still like him more than the guys they are bringing in. This is a Big Ten school with a rich history and I don't think it would be that hard to find someone who can elevate this team.

Do better.

They should have hired Brian Dutcher about 3 coaching searches ago but they keep making stupid hires and you end up with someone who should probably be an assistant coach at a mid-major right now.

Now Dutcher might be a little on the older side and they might want someone a little younger, but I still like him more than the guys they are bringing in. This is a Big Ten school with a rich history and I don't think it would be that hard to find someone who can elevate this team.

Do better.

Dutcher is the perfect person to come in for 5-7 years to get the program fixed.

Top Bottom