The People’s DC options

Fourth best in Fleck's tenure in conference play...and that's without the team's top running backs and wide receivers for most of the season. The 2021 offense was still better than KC 2017/2022 and GH 2023. Facts.
Take out the games that Sanford was soft-fired — Iowa onward.

My grandmother (RIP) could’ve gotten yards against Colorado 21.

This was the vaunted offense that couldn’t score against Bowling Green and Illinois.

Look I know you’re just going off total yards, as if that’s meaningful, even just for conf games, but give it my dude.

Attainable is quite the loaded word, here.

Why would anyone who is in the “best available” category want to work for PJ Fleck if they have no history together?

Coaching is a fraternity. Fleck is in the Schiano fraternity.
Comprehension is a challenge for you.

It was a huge mistake to hire a guy who bailed on the program after one season
OK. You could have simply answered “yes” to the previous post.

Don’t disagree. But seems too obvious that Fleck or any coach wouldn’t have done that, if was actually known.

Mike

Zimmer?

Duno if he even wants to coach, was rumored to join Dieon at CO. Not sure if he is into the college recruitment grind, he hasn't coached college in 20 years ... but he would be a pretty reasonable splash.

Very possible.

OK, what is your definition of "attainable"? I'm hoping for something more than "available".
A successful, seasoned DC interested in coming here. Doesn't have to be P5, but has to be someone seasoned and successful. I would think there are several G5 DCs that fit the bill. The jump in pay would be significant...like when Peej got hired here.

A successful, seasoned DC interested in coming here. Doesn't have to be P5, but has to be someone seasoned and successful. I would think there are several G5 DCs that fit the bill. The jump in pay would be significant...like when Peej got hired here.
I agree that being interested in coming here would qualify that person as attainable.

I'm also good with pulling someone up from G5.

I love how people are comparing offensive coordinators in a defensive coordinator thread. Typical gopherhole lol.

Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. While I agree he isn’t about to be fired, I think he’s smart enough to realize that this conference is about to change with the addition of some high powered offenses and he can’t afford to get this hire wrong. If he gives this to someone with no prior experience as a DC, he’s taking a huge risk. I’m betting he doesn’t do that, but what do I know?
I don't think it's a poor choice. I think the reality for coaches at places like here is that the seat gets warm, especially if they have shown a level of success. Comes with the pay...$6 million a year gets a seat warm quickly.

I feel like I’d like to see someone with a longish resume… we fans go back and forth on this stuff… I’m in that space, thus the Zimmer left field idea.

Tony Dungy.

Available.

'M' man.

Perfect!!!!!!!!!!

So simple.

Wait... what is Mike Grant doing? Anything?

I love how people are comparing offensive coordinators in a defensive coordinator thread. Typical gopherhole lol.
What’s even more typical is for a person to only read the last post in a chain of discussion, which provides a perfectly logical and valid reason for how it got that way, before commenting!

Is an internal promotion a hire?

I consider Robb Smith to be his last DC hire

NO. A promotion is NOT a hire!!! You're right!

So, let me amend my original question:

Can we all agree that Rossi was a very good choice as DC?

Also, I believe Fleck actually hired Rossi — though not (originally) as a DC.

Can we all agree that Rossi was a very good choice as DC?

Also, I believe Fleck actually hired Rossi — though not (originally) as a DC.
Agree 100%, he was.

Yes he was hired by Fleck in 2017 ... as a Defensive Quality Control which I believe is an analyst position (can't coach players), after serving as the DC for Rutgers in 2014-15 and taking 2016 off.

Promoted to DL coach in 2018 and then when Robb Smith imploded that season they turned to Rossi to be interim DC for the rest of the year. Knocked it out of the park, supposedly by just simplifying everything Smith had been trying to do.

Impressed with Nowinsky's defense for Ohio in the bowl game. Not sure why PJ is not doing deep dive on this guy. Dude knows how to call a game.

Supposedly they're too busy recruiting.
The linebackers for Ohio are really sound on where to be and attack tackling. I mean Nowinsky took a defense that was in the dumps at Miami Ohio and turned them into a top conference defense. I know the bowl game is a nothing burger but that is quality D coaching going on at Ohio. Come on PJ Fleck and Mark Coyle you have to at least make a phone call. MAXY Jr and Word called this guy out Nowinlsky in this thread, you guy's are onto something, this guy is a dude. Nowinsky is a good coach, if you can see it on TV you know the dude is good. The only reason he would probably consider a change is he is from Minnesota. If he came home, he probably wouldn't jump ship. Big 10 experience as he coached at Wisconsin. Has coached with some good defensive minded coaches.The up tempo offense they run in tge MAC, with what is coming to Big 10 having a guy that knows how to defend against that, seems like he would be a good fit. I like how they design linebackers drops and run fits. Nobody is over playing or taking bad angles. Sign Nowinsky up, get him in the boat coach.

Last edited:

Bring back David Lockwood! Lots of energy and jumping around on the sidelines!

Maybe we hire the SDSU HC as DC.
He'd have us all running through brick walls. He's an intense dude. Can't see a mesh with PJ's corporate motivational speaker schtick.

Last edited:

Top Bottom