The People’s DC options

I do like the Ohio DC as well. Wouldn't be a home run hire but definitely a solid one. Bottom line, there are at least a few solid candidates outside the program that have D-coordinator experience already and given last year's performance, I would prefer an external hire with experience over an internal hire.

Lukabu would be a great hire, no? I believe he did really well at Boston College before leaving for the NFL.

Anyone hearing or seeing any rumors on the new DC, or any news?
He said during his press conference yesterday...he has a responsibility to take his time and hire the right person. Sometime in the first week of January he hopes have this completed. It's on his mind but the signing class came first, then the bowl game and then the DC will get his full attention.
I got the feeling between the lines he was focusing on outside hires. He wanted to interview people in person.
He also mentioned the football coaches convention as an opportunity to talk to people which I think is Jan 7 to 10 or so.
Coaches Convention

Screen Shot 2023-12-21 at 2.23.47 PM.png

Last edited:

He said during his press conference yesterday...he has a responsibility to take his time and hire the right person. Sometime in the first week of January he hopes have this completed. It's on his mind but the signing class came first, then the bowl game and then the DC will get his full attention.
I got the feeling between the lines he was focusing on outside hires. He wanted to interview people in person.
He also mentioned the football coaches convention as an opportunity to talk to people which I think is Jan 7 to 10 or so.
Great update! Thank you 60's Guy! Appreciate it! I haven't delved too deep but that Ohio DC seems pretty impressive.

Coaches Convention

View attachment 29106
Didn't listen to the press conference but that definitely sounds like the plan is to hire someone from outside the program as opposed to promoting from within.

Meaning he’s doing an outside hire which of course makes sense as the rest of the D staff is new, and meaning he royally screwed up the other two outside coordinator hires (Robb Smith and Mike Sanford) and somehow wants to prove that he can make a good hire there.

Usually in these situations; Head Coach and Coordinators are involved in a bowl thus busy with bowl prep. After the bowl season is over, that's when you see movement.

One interesting note on the Coaches Conference - Jerry Kill is one of the speakers. I'd like to be a fly on the wall if those two awkwardly run into each other.

Usually in these situations; Head Coach and Coordinators are involved in a bowl thus busy with bowl prep. After the bowl season is over, that's when you see movement.

One interesting note on the Coaches Conference - Jerry Kill is one of the speakers. I'd like to be a fly on the wall if those two awkwardly run into each other.
Yeah, always a ton of coaching movement at that clinic just after bowl season. And I assume Kill and Fleck will conveniently find ways to make sure they aren't in the same place at the same time.

Yeah, always a ton of coaching movement at that clinic just after bowl season. And I assume Kill and Fleck will conveniently find ways to make sure they aren't in the same place at the same time.
They were fine during and after their game against each other.

I think whatever happened is water under the bridge between pj and Kill.

Looks like Harlon Barnett is available.

Bumping this back up since the bowl game is done and we’re waiting for a new dc to be named

I saw someone mention the South Dakota State DC in some thread. If he's actually being considered, their last game is on Jan 7th, so he would still be an option as well
True. A lot happening the next 3-4 days

I saw someone mention the South Dakota State DC in some thread. If he's actually being considered, their last game is on Jan 7th, so he would still be an option as well
In another thread @swede2 was claiming that the rumor was the SDSU head coach.

If you were going to go the MVFC head coaching route for the DC, hiring Entz would've made a million times more sense.

Last edited:

The SDSU DC is really green. I don't think there's any chance in hell that's on the table.

He just took over DC this season, after 2022 was his first season as a full-time assistant coach, at SDSU.

Prior to that he was a grad assistant at Wazzou for 2020 and 21, and SDSU for 2019. That was his start in coaching.

There is totally no information leaking out. Some message board guys have thrown out names of games they think would be a good fit which really means nothing. Pete Thamel is the guy who PJ informs when he hires someone than he tweets the name.

The SDSU DC is really green. I don't think there's any chance in hell that's on the table.

He just took over DC this season, after 2022 was his first season as a full-time assistant coach, at SDSU.

Prior to that he was a grad assistant at Wazzou for 2020 and 21, and SDSU for 2019. That was his start in coaching.
Serious doubts that there's anything to the SDSU rumors at all. Bobbit is green, as you mentioned. Hard to see Rogers leaving, particularly for this job.

In another thread @swede2 was claiming that the rumor was the SDSU head coach.

If you were going to go the MVFC head coaching route for the DC, hiring Entz would've made a million times more sense.
Yeah my bad, misunderstood

Pretty much guaranteed to be Lukabu who I’d be very underwhelmed by.
Looks that way. It’s going to be underwhelming for me as well, but honestly, the “candidates” that would get my chili hot are not realistically attainable. I think I’d prefer Nowinsky, but if he was the guy it would be done already.

Does anyone know why Lukabu only spent two years at Boston College as their DC? Did he just think a position coach in the NFL was an upward move or was he nudged out at BC? Has anyone checked in with BC fans to get their thoughts on his coaching and recruiting???

Looks that way. It’s going to be underwhelming for me as well, but honestly, the “candidates” that would get my chili hot are not realistically attainable. I think I’d prefer Nowinsky, but if he was the guy it would be done already.

Does anyone know why Lukabu only spent two years at Boston College as their DC? Did he just think a position coach in the NFL was an upward move or was he nudged out at BC? Has anyone checked in with BC fans to get their thoughts on his coaching and recruiting???
So, I went to the BC site and scrolled to the thread where it was announced he was leaving and headed to Carolina. Some posts in that…

IggyInLA
Posted on Feb 17th, 2023, 8:21 PM, , User Since 49 months ago, User Post Count: 716
  • Feb 17th, 2023, 8:21 PM
  • 49 months
I’ve never been convinced with the two LB defense Lukabu deployed. Without a massive D-line, the smaller and athletic backers get worked at the second level.

Rushing Defensive Ranks:
2020: 73
2021: 92
2022: 88

And another…

Also he was a recruiting liability, what recruit has ever said Tem was instrumental in his decision to attend BC

AAR gets promotion, Hafley supports and brings some younger recruiter to fill DB spot. Win, win

Further last year was as bad of season in 40 years, staff turnover is good. Fire entire staff or have them leave, who cares?

Recruiting needs to improve and Tem & McNulty were poor recruiters and average coaches so get them out. It’s better for program he left

And another…

bcgrad20
Posted on Feb 18th, 2023, 11:49 AM, , User Since 73 months ago, User Post Count: 1475
  • Feb 18th, 2023, 11:49 AM
  • 73 months
BarryG1 said... (original post) Hallgrad is running out of lipstick to put on this pig
show more
Ha Ultimately will find out this year
This is just noise and fake outrage that we are losing a medicore DC who is a douchebag.
People need to complain about something during talking season and coming off such a bad year so I get it, but losing both coordinators coming off the worse season in 40 years is a GOOD thing not a bad one

And another….

I mean, you're not entirely wrong. Tem's defenses were mediocre at best, brutal at worst. I'm not sad to see him go.

So, it certainly sounds like the BC fans were not unhappy he left. Doesn’t mean he can’t be a success here but….
It also sounds like he left on his own volition. One post in the thread talked about how the BC head coach loved him.

Top Bottom