The People’s DC options

Per the above posts, it looks like the BC defense was one of the best in the ACC in 2021 even though the team was mediocre, and in the top half in the conference in 2020. The defense in 2022 was bad and the offense was worse. Hard to know without being there.

Per the above posts, it looks like the BC defense was one of the best in the ACC in 2021 even though the team was mediocre, and in the top half in the conference in 2020. The defense in 2022 was bad and the offense was worse. Hard to know without being there.
And it was a few years ago. Who knows how he would do things now.... not a long career so things change, people learn, he is relatively young and so on.

Still yeah that guy, i'm a little wary about that resume, but never know.

And it was a few years ago. Who knows how he would do things now.... not a long career so things change, people learn, he is relatively young and so on.

Still yeah that guy, i'm a little wary about that resume, but never know.

Well, Rossi was an absolute nobody when he was made the DC.

My main issue with Lukabu would be that he tends to move around a lot, there’s no telling how long he’d stick around. That being said, I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets the job.

My main issue with Lukabu would be that he tends to move around a lot, there’s no telling how long he’d stick around.
I too have worried about that, but many of his moves seem to be done for upward mobility. In that light, I guess I can understand.

If it is him, I’d just feel better about it if the BC message board had been distraught when he left…and they weren’t. Just the opposite. His teams couldn’t stop the run. And the Eagles didn’t exactly keep teams out of the end zone during his tenure. And his final year in 2022 was perhaps his worst, so the trajectory wasn’t good. Gave up 31 or more points in half their games. If he is the hire, it’s a very risky one for PJ given the Eagles’ defensive performance under Lukabu.

Last edited:

I have no doubt he is an outstanding LB coach. Which we need, to replace Rossi.

Played the position well himself at the DI-AA level, at a school that’s like an “Ivy Light”.

If I read correctly from the posts, he ran the 4-2-5 base at BC. Which I believe is also our base now and what Fleck likes. (Allowing us to alternate between a true 3rd LB, a “big” Nickle who is basically just a lighter 3rd LB, and a “coverage” Nickle which is more of the traditional role to cover a 3rd WR).

Seems too obvious that it’s a match.

What will matter most, where he’ll earn his money, and where fans will either love or hate him, is how he calls the defense on gamedays. Fleck meddles far less with the defense, so it really will be his show.

We’ll see how it goes.

My main issue with Lukabu would be that he tends to move around a lot, there’s no telling how long he’d stick around. That being said, I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets the job.
I think that’s just how it’s going to be here going forward. We’re either a stepping stone to bigger and better things or we’re able to catch someone who has just fallen from the top end and needs a reboot.

I too have worried about that, but many of his moves seem to be done for upward mobility. In that light, I guess I can understand.

If it is him, I’d just feel better about it if the BC message board had been distraught when he left…and they weren’t. Just the opposite. His teams couldn’t stop the run. And the Eagles didn’t exactly keep teams out of the end zone during his tenure. And his final year in 2022 was perhaps his worst, so the trajectory wasn’t good. Gave up 31 or more points in half their games. If he is the hire, it’s a very risky one for PJ given the Eagles’ defensive performance under Lukabu.
I don’t think Rutgers fans were sad to see Rossi go.

Sometimes the situation is just bad and nothing you could’ve done would’ve made a difference.

Probably a few of our own fans are happy to see Rossi go now.

I’m still interested in SDSU DC
He is very young but I like a guy doing the DC thing already.

I guess I'm in that sorta conservative "want a coordinator for a coordinator" spot ... but willing to take a chance on a young guy too.

Literally his first year being a DC, literally his second year being a full-on college football coach as opposed to a grad assistant.

Be realistic.

SDSU is not playing against any team that has a chance to actually beat them. It's easy to call a good defense when your players are just better than every opposing offense.

Last edited:

I wonder if their head coach would be a better fit. It would be a 2-3x raise for him to be a Big Ten DC, and he was the SDSU DC before moving to head coach this year.
I'm good with this. Jimmy Rogers was the Jackrabbits DC and LBs coach for a few years before taking over as HC. He's a LB whisperer. Only "flaw"? Not in the Schiano coaching tree. (That could actually be an advantage!)

Not sure he wants to leave SDSU anytime soon. If he does I think it’d be for a head coaching gig. If he leaves to be a DC I don’t think it'll be for Minnesota. I’m guessing he’s about a 1% chance. Bet the guy from Carolina is announced tomorrow. Not sure I’d want to be a DC at Minnesota after watching its offense this season and knowing who the OC is.

I'm good with this. Jimmy Rogers was the Jackrabbits DC and LBs coach for a few years before taking over as HC. He's a LB whisperer. Only "flaw"? Not in the Schiano coaching tree. (That could actually be an advantage!)
I think there's zero chance of this. Can't see the schticks meshing.

I think there's zero chance of this. Can't see the schticks meshing.
So assuming this means that JR is a no-nonsense, straight shooter who abhors doubletalk, used car salesman talk, acronyms, and slogans, in favor of just seeing who is willing to put in hard work and let the results on the field speak for themselves?

My kinda guy ...

Not sure he wants to leave SDSU anytime soon. If he does I think it’d be for a head coaching gig. If he leaves to be a DC I don’t think it'll be for Minnesota. I’m guessing he’s about a 1% chance. Bet the guy from Carolina is announced tomorrow. Not sure I’d want to be a DC at Minnesota after watching its offense this season and knowing who the OC is.
Kliemann went from NDSU to K-State. (Granted, NDSU's AD got hired as the AD at K-State ...)

So yeah, would seem reasonable to wait a bit longer if he wants to try to move up to P5 level.

Jim Leonard has become to The Green Bay Packers what Marc Trestman was to Gopher football.
Except there was actually some reason to believe it could happen. He interviewed with the Packers in 2021 for the exact job and his reasoning (at the time) made sense, he was waiting for the Badger job. He's now available and at the time of this speculation, the Packer defense was playing terrible.

The real question now is, will the Packers make a change now that they're a playoff team and Joe Barry's defense went from awful to just average?

I wonder if their head coach would be a better fit. It would be a 2-3x raise for him to be a Big Ten DC, and he was the SDSU DC before moving to head coach this year.
And if he wants to be a HC at a higher level ... he has proven the HC aspect on his resume. Now the question of performing / recruiting at the p5 level could be dealt with at a coordinator role.

Jim Leonard has become to The Green Bay Packers what Marc Trestman was to Gopher football.
Agreed, although at least Marc was out there working and doing more.

Jim has a ton of scuttlebutt and positive rumors surrounding him and stories and ... dude has had a couple coaching jobs and is an analyst at Illinois.

Maybe he is some defensive genius just biding his time for a great job, but there's a lot of "smoke" around this guy the way folks talk about him and not that much fire.

If Leonhard got hired here I'd be shocked. Based on his history with the Badger program I don't see how he would ever be open to a coaching role for the Gophers even if the pay was astronomical, which I'm fairly certain it won't be. I'd still be thrilled. I just don't think he could do it from a values/rivalry perspective. That runs deep, especially among the pre-transfer wherever you want whenever you want generation.

If Leonhard got hired here I'd be shocked. Based on his history with the Badger program I don't see how he would ever be open to a coaching role for the Gophers even if the pay was astronomical, which I'm fairly certain it won't be. I'd still be thrilled. I just don't think he could do it from a values/rivalry perspective. That runs deep, especially among the pre-transfer wherever you want whenever you want generation.
Leonhard seems like a guy who has enough $$ to stick around football as an analysis and involved with his kids.

"I don't need football. I love football, and my wife and family support me. I've been fortunate to be successful in this game. I'm not in it for that. It is going to come back to: ‘Is it worth the sacrifices that your family has to make?’" – Jim Leonhard.

This is from 2021

Top Bottom