The People’s DC options

Sounds like PJ wants a coach to go along with the 4 man front instead of 3 man, Kansas St does play a 3 man front. Tem Lukabu might be the guy.

Kansas State has lost there OC to Texas A&M who was an alum and they have 15 guys in the portal. I read last night that of 40 guys they brought in for the 2021 and 2022 classes only 19 are left. (That might be average as I haven't compared.)

They seem to be having some similar issues to us.

It could be that the KSU staff and players see the writing on the wall where the Big 12 is only a watered down version of a Power conference, well behind the SEC and BG10 as super majors. No one wants to get Beavered or Cougared and left out of the big show.

That said, it also could be that the KSU DC is just angling for some salary negotiation leverage.

It could be that the KSU staff and players see the writing on the wall where the Big 12 is only a watered down version of a Power conference, well behind the SEC and BG10 as super majors. No one wants to get Beavered or Cougared and left out of the big show.

That said, it also could be that the KSU DC is just angling for some salary negotiation leverage.
Speak for yourself. Getting Beavered and Cougared sounds like a hell of a weekend.

How about style of play on defense?

To my eye, Rossi almost always seemed (in broad, general terms) to favor coverage over pressure.

How would a guy like Leonhard compare in that area?

I'm intrigued with the way Flores instantly transformed the Vikings defense with his creative pressure schemes.
Yes. I would like to be able to stand and cheer for a Gopher quarterback sack at least a few times before I die.

I have not seen it proposed yet, but I think we need a DC that has coached in the SEC or PAC before. We need a DC that has proven himself in stopping the offenses that exist in today's world. The Big Ten West is dead and gone. We have Air raid / spread RPO / QB designed runs offenses in USC, UCLA, Washington, and Oregon coming to the conference.

We have to have a D that is designed to stop this. Currently under Rossi, we had ZERO ability to stop teams when they went hurry up / RPO / or wide splits against us.

Fleck has always favored conservatism
So I am going to guess if he is picking based on style he is a coverage guy more than a blitz guy
And I think that has to change. Difficult to argue with the results under Rossi, but I just want to see the LBs force more of the action. I doubt Leonhard is coming here, but his LBs at Wisconsin were always in the thick of it creating chaos. Kill/Claeys had that to some extent as well (Don't worry. I'm not advocating the return of either.).

Yes. I would like to be able to stand and cheer for a Gopher quarterback sack at least a few times before I die.
DL very nearly won us that Illinois game doing that.

Was nice for ... a bit...

Better schedule another session with my therapist now ... thinking too much...

And I think that has to change. Difficult to argue with the results under Rossi, but I just want to see the LBs force more of the action. I doubt Leonhard is coming here, but his LBs at Wisconsin were always in the thick of it creating chaos. Kill/Claeys had that to some extent as well (Don't worry. I'm not advocating the return of either.).
I say they offer B Flo 25 million a year.

I tapped out on the Rossi thread due to negativity. Did Rossi's deal have a buyout that we could turn around and use?
Someone in the other thread said $300k, but I haven’t looked into it. If so, I’d imagine that’s more than the KSU guy’s buyout, but a wash at the worst.

I have not seen it proposed yet, but I think we need a DC that has coached in the SEC or PAC before. We need a DC that has proven himself in stopping the offenses that exist in today's world. The Big Ten West is dead and gone. We have Air raid / spread RPO / QB designed runs offenses in USC, UCLA, Washington, and Oregon coming to the conference.

We have to have a D that is designed to stop this. Currently under Rossi, we had ZERO ability to stop teams when they went hurry up / RPO / or wide splits against us.
I think any DC that has had good success at a P5 school works well. I don't think the PAC teams have consistently had top defenses, so I take the offensive numbers with a grain of salt.
Sounds like PJ wants a coach to go along with the 4 man front instead of 3 man, Kansas St does play a 3 man front. Tem Lukabu might be the guy.
I would think you go with the best available to the program.

Last edited:

I prefer an odd front to an even front personally.
Would love JL

I believe

Rutgers Joe Harasymiak
Collins Internal
Ohio Guy with Minnesota ties
Iowa Seth Wallace Assistant DC/LBs
Take the opportunity to flush Harbaugh also. If OSU DC Nowinski is really making only $180,000, why would we not talk to him?

PJ and Coyle can’t find their way out of Denny Greene’s bunker.

based on the lack of news to this point I’m guessing the k state rumor I heard is fake news

based on the lack of news to this point I’m guessing the k state rumor I heard is fake news
Perhaps not. Didn’t you say 24 to 48 hours? With PJ traveling yesterday talking to recruit, it could happen today if he’s back in town.

I think it is a solid, bet that it will be him. Leaning towards him, the defensive coordinator at Ohio or the coach with the Panthers that PJ already has connections to. He was also a prior defensive coordinator at the college level with Boston College. I think PJ will hire, somebody with defense coordinator experience.

Perhaps not. Didn’t you say 24 to 48 hours? With PJ traveling yesterday talking to recruit, it could happen today if he’s back in town.

I think it is a solid, bet that it will be him. Leaning towards him, the defensive coordinator at Ohio or the coach with the Panthers that PJ already has connections to. He was also a prior defensive coordinator at the college level with Boston College. I think PJ will hire, somebody with defense coordinator experience.
I’ll give it a couple more hours. After that I will declare it fake news.

I just don’t see the KSU DC leaving a job working for a coach with zero pressure on him to take a job for a coach for a coach who may be out of a job in a year or two

Top Bottom