The People’s DC options

Salary Increase, Big Ten Opportunity
Duke has money. Other places have money.

Opportunity to .. do what? We can’t pay NIL to get competitive players with the top of the conf. No scheme will ever be a magic genie allowing JV guys to compete with varsity.

If guys can’t compete, it makes you look really bad. Even though you busted your ass and are a very talented coordinator who was able to put them in the best possible position to succeed most plays.

I believe

Rutgers Joe Harasymiak
Collins Internal
Ohio Guy with Minnesota ties
Iowa Seth Wallace Assistant DC/LBs
Wouldn't Monroe be more likely than Collins?

Duke has money. Other places have money.

Opportunity to .. do what? We can’t pay NIL to get competitive players with the top of the conf. No scheme will ever be a magic genie allowing JV guys to compete with varsity.

If guys can’t compete, it makes you look really bad. Even though you busted your ass and are a very talented coordinator who was able to put them in the best possible position to succeed most plays.

But how many schools are there, with vacancies at DC, that can pay huge NIL money?

If a potential DC is waiting to go somewhere with unlimited NIL, he may be waiting a long time for a landing spot.

I believe

Rutgers Joe Harasymiak
Collins Internal
Ohio Guy with Minnesota ties
Iowa Seth Wallace Assistant DC/LBs
I didn't even know Seth Wallace existed or that Iowa had a co-DC... but that is who I want.

If we could poach Harasymiak that would be a nice option.

Interesting option might be Ohio DC Spence Nowinsky. Former player at Minnesota State. Quite a bit of success in the MAC. He’s only making $180,000.
Agreed! Love to see PJ actually get outside upcoming coaching talent rather than promote someone within. But not to optimistic.

What if Kirk Ferentz retires after Iowa's bowl game?

I mean, some have said that the Iowa admin wants him gone, and by pushing Brian Ferentz out they were also hoping to get the old man to say, "Enough!" and to make his exit as well.

If KF quit, the entire Iowa coaching staff might be looking for jobs.

Plausible?

What if Kirk Ferentz retires after Iowa's bowl game?

I mean, some have said that the Iowa admin wants him gone, and by pushing Brian Ferentz out they were also hoping to get the old man to say, "Enough!" and to make his exit as well.

If KF quit, the entire Iowa coaching staff might be looking for jobs.

Plausible?
I don't see him leaving but it's possible. Sounds like Paul Chryst is coming to be OC.

Next Season their leaders would be the following ages.
Chryst 58
Parker 61
Kirk 69

I don't see him leaving but it's possible. Sounds like Paul Chryst is coming to be OC.

Chryst 58
Parker 61
Kirk 69
Chryst is probably their next HC is that’s their staff next year

Chryst 58
Parker 61
Kirk 69

I hadn't heard about Chryst. If that's true, then, yeah... Ferentz probably staying.

Probably depends on if Goetz get the AD job permanently how long Kirk sticks around.

At age 69, I doubt it will be very long — no matter who the AD turns out to be.

Does he want to coach much longer, at 69?

Does Iowa want a head coach who will soon be 70?

Vince Kehres- bring him in at LB coach with Co-DC title along with Monroe Co-DC.

I like him since he has HC experience. Something I believe PJ would benefit from having on staff.

Vince Kehres- bring him in at LB coach with Co-DC title along with Monroe Co-DC.

I like him since he has HC experience. Something I believe PJ would benefit from having on staff.
No more "Co-" coordinators, please.

One person in charge.

Chryst 58
Parker 61
Kirk 69
Nice spot for Chryst. He definitely could do something with that offense.

Given Fleck's track record of internal hires, I think Winston is our guy. Moving from D line coach to D-coordinator is the same path Rossi took at Rutgers prior to coming to MN. Winston is a shining product of Fleck's culture, and I think that would resonate on the recruiting trail. I imagine Fleck isn't the easiest guy to work for, so having someone in the DC role that seems to be a Fleck loyalist is big for staying power.

I'd be more than happy to see us land an outside hire with a more proven track record, but I just don't see that happening given the current state of affairs.

We are a program built on culture and development. If we are going to hire internally, let's pick a guy who embodies the program. We have become a coordinator farm system for other B10 programs, and I fear hiring an external up and comer would only continue that trend.

Given Fleck's track record of internal hires, I think Winston is our guy. Moving from D line coach to D-coordinator is the same path Rossi took at Rutgers prior to coming to MN.
While I wouldn’t be upset with this, I worry it’s a little soon for him. He still young. Really young. Now that doesn’t mean he can’t be great immediately, but the lack of experience is still there compared to other options. I thought at the time swag daddy was brought over from Syracuse that it was done with the idea that he would be the DC in waiting. Fleck never said that, but that was how it felt to me. He’s a Minnesota guy and was supposedly upset that he was passed over for the DC job with the Orange. I’ll guarantee you his wanting to be a DC someday has been discussed with Fleck since his hiring. If he promotes from within I think he has the inside track. Perhaps they are co-DC’s??

Leonhard would be a big name catch but that would require a total scheme overhaul, wouldn't it?
A good coordinator adapts his scheme to the talent. if he's not capable of that, he's the wrong guy.

How about style of play on defense?

To my eye, Rossi almost always seemed (in broad, general terms) to favor coverage over pressure.

How would a guy like Leonhard compare in that area?

I'm intrigued with the way Flores instantly transformed the Vikings defense with his creative pressure schemes.

Last edited:

Top Bottom