The People’s DC options

So, the Gophers in hiring a DC need someone who will accept the salary that MN is willing to pay - and will be a good fit with Fleck. that narrows the field of candidates.
isn’t this true of every coordinator hire in all of college football?

Needs to fit with head coach + accept the salary offered?

Looks like the favs might be 2 guys PJ knows well. One is Carolina LB coach Ten Lebuka and Joe H from Rutgers. The Kansas ST DC is from Hammond WI and has Minnesota connections.
The rumor I have heard is K state guy

isn’t this true of every coordinator hire in all of college football?

Needs to fit with head coach + accept the salary offered?

in general, yes. but the details matter.

at MN, that coordinator is coming to a school that is on the lower end of its conference for assistant coaching salaries, and would need to fit with a coach who has a very conservative coaching philosophy.

I think that makes it somewhat more difficult than, say, going to a school that pays higher salaries or has a head coach with a different style.

there are reasons why MN has had a revolving door for assistant coaches during the Fleck era. I believe only Simon and Callahan are left from his original staff - and Simon is the only coach still in the same position. (Callahan was the TE coach in 2017).

at MN, that coordinator is coming to a school that is on the lower end of its conference for assistant coaching salaries, and would need to fit with a coach who has a very conservative coaching philosophy.

I think that makes it somewhat more difficult than, say, going to a school that pays higher salaries or has a head coach with a different style.
I think the offensive style is probably more favored by a lot of DCs, but that’s just my experience in coaching circles
there are reasons why MN has had a revolving door for assistant coaches during the Fleck era. I believe only Simon and Callahan are left from his original staff - and Simon is the only coach still in the same position. (Callahan was the TE coach in 2017).
Please dont mention Simon. It’s like a bat signal for MPLSGopher

Would you advocate overpaying our staff of inexperienced and untested P5 guys more just to make our salary pool look better?

The rumor I have heard is K state guy
Alright, if it is him, I agree with your statement of solid hire, but not a home run. He's got proven experience running a solid D, so hopefully we won't shit the bed next season on D. Maybe he can keep some of those defensive commits here as well...

Works for me. Hire him up.
I am not confident in my source. I would be pleased with the hire in that I’m not sure who is realistic that I would think is a home run

And I can think of many worse choices

If it is Klanderman from K-State, a couple interesting things: 1) they’ve been running a three-man front, though that isn’t the only system he’s run and 2) Safety Kobe Savage entered the portal yesterday. Klanderman is his position coach
That’s a great name for a hard hitting strong safety.

If it's Klanderman there is likely a buyout involved. He has a two-year deal that started for 2023. KSU pool is $4.77M

If it's Klanderman there is likely a buyout involved. He has a two-year deal that started for 2023. KSU pool is $4.77M

I tapped out on the Rossi thread due to negativity. Did Rossi's deal have a buyout that we could turn around and use?

If we could pull Joe H from Rutgers, I would be happy.

I also remember earlier in the season PJ mentioned something about clashing philosophies on the coaching staff. I wonder if maybe Rossi was disagreeing with some of the other defensive coaches? And then if PJ wasn't fully taking Rossi's side it could have built a bit of animosity. Complete speculation though
I heard some of the coaches wanted to play to win.

Would you advocate overpaying our staff of inexperienced and untested P5 guys more just to make our salary pool look better?
I actually might. It's hard to outrun the perception that you're cheap in hiring circles. I also wouldn't want to give the impression to our opponents, staff, and recruits that we couldn't afford a Big 10 staff.

If it is Klanderman from K-State, a couple interesting things: 1) they’ve been running a three-man front, though that isn’t the only system he’s run and 2) Safety Kobe Savage entered the portal yesterday. Klanderman is his position coach
NDSU runs 40 front, I’m sure he has run that at other places as well.

The KSU guy would satisfy those here that want an established guy. Think we had other options that weren’t terrible from within as well but coach Winston probably wasn’t ready yet and is more risky than an established guy. Anyone have stats on how the KSU defense has ranked?

The KSU guy would satisfy those here that want an established guy. Think we had other options that weren’t terrible from within as well but coach Winston probably wasn’t ready yet and is more risky than an established guy. Anyone have stats on how the KSU defense has ranked?
Keeping my powder dry and not digging anything up beyond his bio unless/until we get a sourced report that he's the guy. But the bio is encouraging on the surface: https://www.kstatesports.com/staff-directory/joe-klanderman/296

Top 3 in Big 12 for two years and top 2 in scoring defense. I think he would fit Fleck's complimentary football mold he desires.

We would be able to give him a raise, allow him to be back 50 minutes from where he grew up and he would help solidify local recruiting.

I wonder how Klanderman is in recruiting circles? On 247 his name isn’t tied to many of the defensive recruits as being the primary or secondary recruiter. Of course in the NIL world, the qualities we look for in regards to being a good recruiter might not matter any more. Could just be all about the money. He is listed as the primary recruiter for one safety they have committed.

I wonder how Klanderman is in recruiting circles? On 247 his name isn’t tied to many of the defensive recruits as being the primary or secondary recruiter. Of course in the NIL world, the qualities we look for in regards to being a good recruiter might not matter any more. Could just be all about the money. He is listed as the primary recruiter for one safety they have committed.
Kansas State has lost there OC to Texas A&M who was an alum and they have 15 guys in the portal. I read last night that of 40 guys they brought in for the 2021 and 2022 classes only 19 are left. (That might be average as I haven't compared.)

They seem to be having some similar issues to us.

Kansas State has lost there OC to Texas A&M who was an alum and they have 15 guys in the portal. I read last night that of 40 guys they brought in for the 2021 and 2022 classes only 19 are left. (That might be average as I haven't compared.)

They seem to be having some similar issues to us.
Seems to be common for the teams that don't have an infinite payroll.

Top Bottom