The NCAA has opened an investigation into No. 2 Michigan over possible rule-breaking around in-person scouting of opponents

The NCAA doesn’t have jurisdiction to address the breaking of an NCAA rule, which is the literal only basis for something being alleged to have been done “wrong”?

Sheer nonsense, by people who have a profit motive and personal motivation to amplify misinformation and tabloid hysteria, if it drives more views and clicks to their platforms.
That's my understanding of it, yes.

Similar to if there is a fight in a Big 10 game, the Conference decides on a suspension, not the NCAA. Using Michigan as an example, it was the Big 10 that suspended Juwan Howard for the fracas vs Wisconsin, not the NCAA.

Suspensions for in-game gross unsportsmanlike conduct is an absolute red herring to breaking rules on scouting opponents.

That’s entire an NCAA deal. Same with a recruiting violation.

I will not give clicks to any media platform trying to leach off the tabloid hysteria. Won’t give them. That’s what they want, that’s how they win. Don’t be sheep

Suspensions for in-game gross unsportsmanlike conduct is an absolute red herring to breaking rules on scouting opponents.

That’s entire an NCAA deal. Same with a recruiting violation.

I will not give clicks to any media platform trying to leach off the tabloid hysteria. Won’t give them. That’s what they want, that’s how they win. Don’t be sheep
The Dan Patrick Show is not a tabloid or into clickbait, it's a nationally syndicated radio show that's also on Peacock (Big 10 platform by the way) and available for podcast.

I trust his sources. He has a solid journalistic reputation built up over multiple decades, he would not just throw it out there to stir something up.

Everything I have been hearing in national media (Dan Patrick Show for example) it has been suggested point blank that it is the Big 10 that will have to act. The NCAA really does not have any jurisdiction for this type of case.
I guess the consensus is who the heck knows:

The B1G by-laws clearly give the Commissioner the authority to hand out punishment for violations - including in the area of unsportsmanlike conduct and competitive integrity - which certainly encompasses the Michigan allegations. as noted, the Commissioner by himself can assess penalties of a $10,000 fine or a two-game suspension. More severe penalties have to be considered by the B1G Executive Committee.

from all accounts, the B1G Coaches and AD's have been putting the heat on Petitti to take some action. the NCAA has its own enforcement procedures, but those take time. the B1G Coaches especially want something done this season or otherwise it gives the impression that Michigan is 'getting away with it.'

and Petitti is new. if he does nothing, he looks weak in dealing with one of his first major challenges. If the B1G Presidents back him up, I believe there will be some type of penalties handed down during the season.

Dan Patrick tried to get way ahead of everyone and report that San Diego State was joining the PAC, earlier this year. Never was true, so yes he does just throw crap out there. Sorry to burst your bubble on him. He’s not above anything. They all have to put food on the table. That means get people to pay attention.

Coaches and AD’s don’t have a seat at the big table. Sorry, they don’t. The commissioner is hired by and reports to the school presidents. What are they (coaches and AD’s) gonna do?? Quit?? Go ahead, walk off.

Petitti won’t look “weak”. That’s yours and media fake spin on it. Real strength is standing up to the bleating sheep. Go get back in the pen

Dan Patrick tried to get way ahead of everyone and report that San Diego State was joining the PAC, earlier this year. Never was true, so yes he does just throw crap out there. Sorry to burst your bubble on him. He’s not above anything. They all have to put food on the table. That means get people to pay attention.

Coaches and AD’s don’t have a seat at the big table. Sorry, they don’t. The commissioner is hired by and reports to the school presidents. What are they (coaches and AD’s) gonna do?? Quit?? Go ahead, walk off.

Petitti won’t look “weak”. That’s yours and media fake spin on it. Real strength is standing up to the bleating sheep. Go get back in the pen
Lumping Dan Patrick into that type of journalism is beyond ridiculous.

He was not the only source reporting San Diego St (SMU) joining the PAC12. Obviously something changed. They had already informed the Mtn West they were bailing for goodness sake.

The PAC12 went belly up because they could not secure a TV/Broadcast rights deal that was good enough for Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Arizona St and Utah to stay.

No bucks. No PAC12. San Diego St had to beg the Mtn West to take them back.

If Dan Patrick makes outlandish claims it diminishes his credibility as well as "ability to put food on his table", not just through his show but also his Dan Patrick Sportscasting program.

Indeed, it was an Ohio State funded, rigged “scandal”.

Big Ten would be in the absolute wrong to take action here before NCAA does. Shame on them, if they do
Just because you pretend it is fake doesnt actually make it so. You think you would have learned after the egg on your face on Washington and Oregon joining the Big Ten debacle but you just keep making yourself look foolish for our entertainment!

The Dan Patrick Show is not a tabloid or into clickbait, it's a nationally syndicated radio show that's also on Peacock (Big 10 platform by the way) and available for podcast.

I trust his sources. He has a solid journalistic reputation built up over multiple decades, he would not just throw it out there to stir something up.

He believes anyone who says something he disagrees with is clickbait. He literally has no idea what t is or how it functions.

I find it incredibly self-serving and disingenuous that the Michigan president wants the case to play out and allow “due process” to take place when not one B1G school would do so for a student under any circumstance.

I am totally convinced that absolutely nothing of any major consequence will happen to Michigan.
at most it will be the Stalions firing and maybe you lose a couple scholarships for a few years. they will not take down one of their golden geese

I find it incredibly self-serving and disingenuous that the Michigan president wants the case to play out and allow “due process” to take place when not one B1G school would do so for a student under any circumstance.
He’s dong what he’s paid to do: advocate for the university, especially for a program that alumni hold in the highest regard. I was at the Big House for Saturday night’s game and when Ono was introduced at halftime he got a rousing one-minute standing ovation after reportedly telling Petitti to shove it when pushed to suspend Harbaugh the day before. He hasn’t been there long, but he already has a good grasp on his constituency.

What needs to happen …. is they get rid of the silly rule.

If you have the money to pay some yokel to go in-person to watch games of future opponents ….. there is absolutely no valid reason that that should not be allowed.

Guessing the NFL does it, and nobody gives a S.

What needs to happen …. is they get rid of the silly rule.

If you have the money to pay some yokel to go in-person to watch games of future opponents ….. there is absolutely no valid reason that that should not be allowed.

Guessing the NFL does it, and nobody gives a S.
You’re guessing the nfl doesn’t have standardized scouting rules?

Confirm you dodged the question of if the NFL allows in-person scouting.

If they do — and why wouldn’t they?? — then what the hell are we doing here??

Confirm you dodged the question of if the NFL allows in-person scouting.

If they do — and why wouldn’t they?? — then what the hell are we doing here??

the NFL has nothing to do with the Michigan situation.

College FB has a rule against in-person scouting. If there is proof that Michigan violated that rule, then they should face some type of punishment.

if enough schools agree that the rule should be revoked, then go ahead and revoke it. if schools want electronic communication, then go ahead and approve it - if you can. but that is a different argument for a future date.

Right here, right now, today, the rule against in-person scouting exists. and if the rule is violated, the teams that violate the rule should face punishment.

just like a punt returner who gives an invalid fair-catch signal should receive a penalty. if you have a rule, and the rule is violated, then it should be enforced.

He’s dong what he’s paid to do: advocate for the university, especially for a program that alumni hold in the highest regard. I was at the Big House for Saturday night’s game and when Ono was introduced at halftime he got a rousing one-minute standing ovation after reportedly telling Petitti to shove it when pushed to suspend Harbaugh the day before. He hasn’t been there long, but he already has a good grasp on his constituency.
My point is that not one student at Michigan would get "due process" before they get kicked off the team or out of school. I guess that is not part of their job.

Yep, they’re trying it out in bowl games just to make sure everyone in FBS can reasonably do it.

Of course they can.

Of course that should be how it is.

Makes this entire thing completely moot. Move on. No penalties, no one cares. Next news cycle please.

the NFL has nothing to do with the Michigan situation.

College FB has a rule against in-person scouting. If there is proof that Michigan violated that rule, then they should face some type of punishment.

if enough schools agree that the rule should be revoked, then go ahead and revoke it. if schools want electronic communication, then go ahead and approve it - if you can. but that is a different argument for a future date.

Right here, right now, today, the rule against in-person scouting exists. and if the rule is violated, the teams that violate the rule should face punishment.

just like a punt returner who gives an invalid fair-catch signal should receive a penalty. if you have a rule, and the rule is violated, then it should be enforced.

This is true. Teams craft processes based on rules in place. You can bet coaching staffs across the country would communicate play calling differently if they knew there were professional code breakers recording each game in person.

Honestly, I didn't even know there were scouting regulations in NCAA football before this scandal. Before this, I was always a little confused why teams thought they could get away with calling plays using sideline signals (which seemed really stupid to me as everything can be video recorded now) and assumed opponents scouted that.

^^ everyone does it

Michigan got caught because Ohio State paid for a private investigator and then paid off a media outlet to publish the story.

Top Bottom