The NCAA has opened an investigation into No. 2 Michigan over possible rule-breaking around in-person scouting of opponents

Per the Athletic:

Michigan State was approached by the league as a forewarning ahead of this weekend’s matchup between the rivals in East Lansing. According to a source briefed on those conversations, upon learning of the pending investigation, Michigan State initially warned the Big Ten it might consider not playing Saturday’s game out of concern for health and safety for its players. On Thursday morning, MSU confirmed it will indeed play the game.

Michigan was informed that it’s being investigated, but has yet to be presented with the evidence compiled by the conference. UM athletic director Warde Manuel spoke with Big Ten commissioner Tony Petitti on Wednesday.

The league claims that Michigan, as one source with knowledge of the allegation said, is using a “vast network” to steal opposing team’s signs. The league told Michigan State it has reviewed film that shows UM clearly knowing what play an opposing team is going to run before the play occurs.

Sign stealing is not prohibited in NCAA football, unless a team intercepts in-game electronic communication.

The Big Ten released a statementaddressing the situation Thursday:

“Late Wednesday afternoon, the Big Ten Conference and University of Michigan were notified by the NCAA that the NCAA was investigating allegations of sign stealing by the University of Michigan football program. The Big Ten Conference has notified Michigan State University and future opponents. The Big Ten Conference considers the integrity of competition to be of utmost importance and will continue to monitor the investigation. The Conference will have no further comment at this time.”

Go Gophers!!

I thought it was a bit strange seeing PJ do a blow by handshake at the end like he was mad at Harbaugh, even Harbaugh seemed caught off guard. I wonder if PJ suspected something. If it happened, it makes sense why our only TD was out of a timeout when no signs were being exchanged. Not that we would’ve won anyway, but it certainly doesn’t help when the other team knows your plays.

The Big Ten Conference approached Michigan State University on Wednesday with what it described as “credible evidence” that the University of Michigan football program has successfully stolen signs called by opposing teams’ coaches this season, according to multiple sources briefed on the league’s communications.

there’s literally a thread at the top of the board about this topic, do we need two?

I thought it was a bit strange seeing PJ do a blow by handshake at the end like he was mad at Harbaugh, even Harbaugh seemed caught off guard. I wonder if PJ suspected something. If it happened, it makes sense why our only TD was out of a timeout when no signs were being exchanged. Not that we would’ve won anyway, but it certainly doesn’t help when the other team knows your plays.
+o4

If something really against the rules happened, like dudes at our practices with binoculars, or hacking coaches computers, etc. then absolutely make them forfeit the games.

If they were just clever about recognizing the signs during the game …… well, that’s a risk of signing them in.

Why the F are we or any team signing plays in? Have someone run in the play call.

Better yet, there is absolutely no reason why schools as rich as the Big Ten shouldn’t be able to us “green dot” helmets, if they want to.

No, I’m thinking it’s the board software that recognizes particular links as particular media types and this transforms them into various embeds.

It’s probably just some JSON config file that could be edited in two seconds to add x .com links to the Tweet embedding type …

No, I’m thinking it’s the board software that recognizes particular links as particular media types and this transforms them into various embeds.

It’s probably just some JSON config file that could be edited in two seconds to add x .com links to the Tweet embedding type …

You’re definitely on to something, we put a ticket into IT. Hope to have it solved, thanks for flagging.

Is sign stealing even against the rules? I didn't think it was illegal and just assumed opposing defensive teams already did their research. If it's not illegal, this is an indictment on teams that use signals without a lot of work to encrypt them.

Easy fix. JUST F*CKING HUDDLE UP LIKE ALL TEAMS USED TO DO!

Is sign stealing even against the rules? I didn't think it was illegal and just assumed opposing defensive teams already did their research. If it's not illegal, this is an indictment on teams that use signals without a lot of work to encrypt them.

Easy fix. JUST F*CKING HUDDLE UP LIKE ALL TEAMS USED TO DO!
It's how you steal the signs that might be against the rules.

Theory is they sent in person scouts to other games, apparently you can't do that.

If you figure it out gameday nobody cares.

Not all that different than baseball as far as stealing signs goes.

Top Bottom