The NCAA has opened an investigation into No. 2 Michigan over possible rule-breaking around in-person scouting of opponents

Pretty interesting read here in The Athletic about how the rest of the Big Ten coaches think.

Big Ten Football Coaches Want Something Done NOW

One clip:

>>“Everybody’s upset,” that coach told The Athletic. “Why is nothing being done? We want to know, what else do you need to know to take action? We (the Big Ten head coaches) want something done now. I don’t think people understand the advantage that what they’re (allegedly) doing gives you. People think, ‘OK, now that everybody knows, we all can just move on.’ Like, ‘now, it’s fair.’ Well, no, it isn’t. Not at all. This changes the way you operate. A lot of teams have been doing things a certain way for years. Now, it’s forcing you to teach your players a whole new way to communicate just for them. People think that this is just advanced scouting. This was damn near espionage.”

My buddy from Ann Arbor says it is a nothing burger. Low level staffer who was over zealous. Claims guy was a super fan who charted teams for free before they hired him. My buddy is in total denial about the cmu/msu thing even though there is a picture of Stallion Inin CMU gear wearing sunglasses at night. He gave no credibility to the blue dot in the upper right corner of the sunglasses which corresponds to the 12mp camera in Ray Ban meta sunglasses. The fact that CMU has not explained who was standing with their coaches in CMU gear during the game did not seem to phase him

would be interesting to see if he has been expensing these ticket purchases thru Michigan. if he has, then you know that Harbaugh and the rest of the staff knows this has been going on

It's hard to get too invested in this whole thing as this process will take forever and we'll be lucky if we hear anything official until next summer. Pete Thamel was saying the other day that once the NCAA has completed the investigation and officially presented the list of rules violations to Mich they (lawyers of course) will have 90 days to reply to those violations. So, like Thamel said when was the last time the NCAA did anything quickly and expedited an investigation?
Michigan State was punished last season for what happened in Ann Arbor before qn investigation was finished.

The new commissioner is trying to hide behind the excuse that the investigation needs to be completed.

What a joke.

If schools can suspend players for bad conduct before investigations are finished, Dickhead can be suspended before investigations are finished. Higher entities make these decisions and can do it to him if they choose to. But I doubt anything happens soon like many other people here have said.
The problem is, even that isn't much of an instant punishment even if they do. They still control their own destiny to the CFP without him.
I know what I would like to see happen but SMU probably isn't happening to Michigan. Especially this year.

PJ in the "Strib" doesn't mention Michigan but talks about protecting his signals. I think he's talking about a normal game; not the type of crap Michigan seemed to be doing.

"You do everything you can as a coach to protect what you have, assuming that people are trying to get ahold of your signals,'' Fleck said. "And as a coach, you're always protecting against that. … We're pretty paranoid people as it is.''

and the B1G AD's have weighed in on the fracas.

From Pete Thamel on ESPN:

Big Ten athletic directors met with commissioner Tony Petitti on a video call Thursday without Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel present, and sources told ESPN the call about Michigan's alleged sign-stealing operation took on a distinctly different tenor than when they met a week ago.

Sources said the athletic directors left the call with the notion that Petitti is taking the Big Ten's ability to punish Michigan over the allegations more seriously than before.

While no potential punishments were discussed, Petitti acknowledged speaking with the NCAA about its investigation, although he refused to divulge any details of that conversation, sources said. One of the issues Petitti brought up with the athletic directors was that he couldn't make a decision on Michigan this season based on a whim, that he would need a set of facts to go off.

"The athletic directors had a clear message -- we believe the conference needs to step up," a source familiar with the call said.

At the heart of the call, much like the coaches' call the night before, was the lack of faith in NCAA enforcement to quickly investigate and rule on Michigan's case, sources said. That has brought to the forefront what the Big Ten has the authority to do in the situation. The conference could initiate its own investigation into potential violations of the Big Ten's sportsmanship policy. While Petitti has the authority to dictate discipline, if it's beyond a standard level, it must be looked at by an executive committee that could approve, deny or lessen that discipline.

The most powerful message, according to sources familiar with the call, came from Michigan State athletic director Alan Haller. He mentioned the alterations Michigan State needed to undergo in order to prepare for its Oct. 21 game against Michigan after receiving a call Wednesday of that game week about Michigan having Michigan State's signals.

The athletic director call came on the heels on the coaches hosting a fiery 90-minute call Wednesday, which a source described as having the tenor of a vast majority of the coaches feeling like "every game they played is tainted."

Purdue now on the record stating they know Michigan was at their games

Mentioned on PTI, Harbaugh's record in the Big 10 the past 3 seasons, 22-1. Before that 34-16.

A certain staffer joined in 2021.

Hmmmm....

Last edited:

At the Bank for the Michigan St game, I noticed behind the Gophers 3 signal callers they each had a staffer holding big signs (M logo on them). I presume this was to block anyone trying to film or break the codes from the Home side.

Anyone ever notice if they had these before last week?

Mentioned on PTI, Harbaugh's record in the Big 10 the past 3 seasons, 22-1. Before that 34-16.

A certain staffer joined in 2021.

Hmmmm....
It is part of why I think saying it’s nothing is naive. He would’ve had motive to do it. It is a massive advantage to have that much detail (especially for teams that want to audible plays at the line presnap) and it’s extremely difficult at the NCAA level to change signs with only 6 days to do it, especially for your hot calls. Would also make them looking lost vs TCU last year make more sense as you could change the calls with that much time.

My buddy from Ann Arbor says it is a nothing burger. Low level staffer who was over zealous. Claims guy was a super fan who charted teams for free before they hired him. My buddy is in total denial about the cmu/msu thing even though there is a picture of Stallion Inin CMU gear wearing sunglasses at night. He gave no credibility to the blue dot in the upper right corner of the sunglasses which corresponds to the 12mp camera in Ray Ban meta sunglasses. The fact that CMU has not explained who was standing with their coaches in CMU gear during the game did not seem to phase him
Low Level staffer, eh?

12078097.png

I have no idea what the conference will do- if anything. The Big Ten used to actually STAND for something, but these leagues (and the sport in general) has placed its focus completely on realigning (or reimagining) the sport to the degree that they aren't willing to pay any attention at all to the competitive aspects of the sport- only the money that can be derived. At some point, this balloon is going to pop, one would think

Michigan fired him. I assume our resident attorneys will talk about how much he is going to make in a lawsuit if he did nothing wrong 😂

Hey I have a novel idea, send the play calls in with a substitute player. Forget all this signal B.S.

Here's my thought:

anyone who plays Michigan the rest of the year should make up one of those big cards.

On the card you put a picture of redneck comedian Bill Engvall with the caption reading:
"Here's Your Sign!"

@Pompous Elitist as is exactly correct. The Big Ten has no place here and it would be inappropriate for them to "punish" Michigan for this (farce of a) violation.

Let the NCAA do what they're going to do, that's why they exist.

@Pompous Elitist as is exactly correct. The Big Ten has no place here and it would be inappropriate for them to "punish" Michigan state for this (farce of a) violation.

Let the NCAA do what they're going to do, that's why they exist.

Agree MSU should not be punished. The pompous ******s from Ann Arbor OTOH, nail em to the wall.

Sure, let the NCAA do what it does.

As I correctly said, the Big Ten has absolutely no place at this table and shall not interfere in this.

Coaches and AD's need to sit down.

Alex Grinch was just let go as DC at USC after surrendering 36+ ppg the past 7 games. USC fans wanted him gone long ago.

Brian Ferentz is done at iowa at the end of the season.

Come on B10, do the right thing and force Michigan to hire those 2 as OC and DC for at least 5 years.

Just talked with my good friend who's a huge Michigan booster (his family company has donated millions to the university over the years) with deep connections into their athletics department. He said he's hearing this morning that something big is supposed to be coming down from the Big Ten on Wednesday in the form of sanctions that could impact the Michigan program at least for this year and maybe longer in response to the cheating allegations. If that happens, he said Michigan is going to go nuclear on other programs within the conference they have dirt on because the school and boosters feel this is being majorly overblown and without merit. Here's looking at you, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan State! Get your popcorn ready, folks, this could be a very interesting week in the long history of our conference.

Indeed, it was an Ohio State funded, rigged “scandal”.

Big Ten would be in the absolute wrong to take action here before NCAA does. Shame on them, if they do

Last edited:

Indeed, it was an Ohio State funded, rigged “scandal”.

Big Ten would be in the absolute wrong to take action here before NCAA does. Shane on them, if they do
Everything I have been hearing in national media (Dan Patrick Show for example) it has been suggested point blank that it is the Big 10 that will have to act. The NCAA really does not have any jurisdiction for this type of case.

The NCAA doesn’t have jurisdiction to address the breaking of an NCAA rule, which is the literal only basis for something being alleged to have been done “wrong”?

Sheer nonsense, by people who have a profit motive and personal motivation to amplify misinformation and tabloid hysteria, if it drives more views and clicks to their platforms.

Top Bottom