The NCAA has opened an investigation into No. 2 Michigan over possible rule-breaking around in-person scouting of opponents

a prominent Michigan booster denies that he is the "Uncle T" referenced in the illegal scouting case. from Yahoo Sports:

Michigan athletics donor Tim Smith denies his involvement in the NCAA’s investigation into the university’s advance scouting scheme and believes that those in power are searching for a “scapegoat” to blame, he told Yahoo Sports.

Smith, a Michigan alum and CEO of a Detroit-based engineering solutions company, said fans and university associates are identifying him as the Michigan booster who allegedly helped fund former UM staff member Connor Stalions’ in-person scouting and sign-stealing scheme.

“I can give you good news,” Smith said during a 30-minute phone call with Yahoo Sports. “I don’t recognize being known as ‘Uncle T’ and I will refute that myself. I never funded Connor. To say I knew him is perhaps overstating it. I said hi to him. I’ve spoken to him more since he left Michigan to make sure the young man is OK.”

Smith has not spoken to anyone at Michigan or the NCAA about the investigation but would be happy to do so, he said. He said he has nothing to hide and he remains convinced that Stalions’ scheme broke no rules.

“If you read the rules, it’s not at all clear that any rules were broken,” Smith said.

Interesting turn of events the last week or so. Turns out breaking the rules/laws/statutes in any field or industry or game is difficult to do if the eye of scrutiny decides to turn their way. Michigan guys being Michigan guys, they believe they can find a plausible path out since they are, naturally, uber-smarter than everyone else. Will the rule enforcers do anything, is probably the question.

@Ope3 which game would they lose in 2022? Even if they lose ILL, which as I recall was a ref screw job more than anything, they still beat OSU and win the head-to-head so still go to the champ game, win that, and still to the CFP. 2021 you have more of an argument.

The reasonable doubt proves that the Mich coaching staff didn't know. Can't suspend them -- I'm talking about the NCAA future punishments.

The Big Ten was a literal nothing punishment, so it would cost them more in distraction to the team, not worth it to keep the litigation going when they got what they wanted, for the BT to drop its silly investigation. There was no evidence, though you'll be content to pretend there was.
It's impossible to quantity and I am not interested in doing a deep dive on the Wolverines 2022 regular season. I based my comment on TCU being aware of the scam and having the benefit of 3 weeks of practice to torch Michigan with 51 points.

A couple of weeks ago I posted Michigan's record under Coach Khaki before a certain staffer was hired in 2021, and after. There's quite a disperity.

Based on those 2 facts alone, Illinois and perhaps other foes that were beaten even by multiple scores, I say they "probably" would have lost a game or two in the regular season or even in Indy. We will never know.

As others have pointed out "reasonable doubt" isn't the threshold for guilt. Like a civil case, only has to be more likely than not.

Little bit more difficult for the scUM defense when they don’t know what plays Maryland is running. Keep it rolling Terps, beat them and let the whining escalate after the loss

Last edited:

This is great. George Helow was cast aside by Harbaugh to bring on Partridge (now canned for impeding the investigation) at Michigan before this season. Helow has been hired by Alabama as their new LB coach.

Nothing but a coincidence that the Crimson Tide's next opponent is the Wolverines on NYD.

Top Bottom