Sid: P.J. Fleck engineered historic Gophers turnaround; end of Claeys era "lowest points for any major college football program"

What does Sid know. He's only seen around 100 years of gopher football. Probably some real low spots in the late 1800's before he was born.

Funny you ask for links but you just want me to take your word for it that PJ self described as not knowing Xs and Os
I'm really not following the argument between you and Spoofin, but it's on record that PJ admits he leaves Xs and Os to his coordinators (https://www.mlive.com/broncos/2016/12/western_michigan_offensivedefe.html). I don't know if anyone said he's incapable of understanding Xs and Os though. I'm sure PJ would make a decent coordinator if he wanted to be one.

Regarding grades falling during Claey's tenure, here are the multi-year APR scores:
2014-15: 992
2015-16: 1,000
2016-17: 983
2017-18: 978

So the multi-year APR scores are great all along the way with a slight drop during the transition to both Claeys and Fleck. Perhaps that's due to kids transferring out. Either way, no alarming drop from Kill's lofty APR numbers to Claeys/Fleck.

If PJ said that, Spoofin should add that to his signature line as one of those exaggerations.
Did Spoofin say that or did he say PJ leaves Xs and Os to coordinators? I honestly don't know. See the link in my previous post.

Did Spoofin say that or did he say PJ leaves Xs and Os to coordinators? I honestly don't know. See the link in my previous post.

My understanding is what you posted. PJ SAID he leaves it for the coordinators.

On this board there have been some who have (either in error or on purpose) confused that to say he doesn't know X's and O's.

My point is at this point it seems PJ might be a strong X's and O's coach since his teams seem to execute very well on X's and O's despite having less high level talent. (4 star vs 3 star argument).

So, if PJ said that as Spoofin said, it's obviously PJ exaggerating on how little he knows because the proof of the pudding is that PJ is under-selling here.

Who knows what his crazy motive might be for that. He's always such a self-promoter... he must have some reverse-psychology thing going on here to make him better than he is.

What does Sid know. He's only seen around 100 years of gopher football. Probably some real low spots in the late 1800's before he was born.
Sid has survived by being a chameleon. He is a grade A apple shiner.

T
So these things mean that Kill/Claeys didn’t do well here? Okey Dokey.
There were people on here who said many times they thought it was wrong to fire Claeys and that Claeys should of had a chance. I think you are included in that group. I think what he is saying is that it was 100% the right decision to fire Claeys and 100% the right decision to hire Fleck. Of course you will say how do you know Claeys wouldn’t have succeeded here? To which of course you are entitled to your opinion, however laughable it is to people like myself.

hot_take_house.jpg

Sid was prone to exaggeration / weird comments before he got ultra old.

Kill & Co. did great things for the program and found it in a horrific state.

PJ certainly got a boost from Kill & Co's work as far as where he started from.

Despite their progress Kill & Co were possibly never going to reach the heights PJ managed to take the team to this past year.

So these things mean that Kill/Claeys didn’t do well here? Okey Dokey.

What did they do? Where was the signature win? Did they beat Wisconsin? A ranked team? Clayes never should of been the head coach at Minnesota.

Please tell us what they did well here according to the great mind of spoofin

What did they do? Where was the signature win? Did they beat Wisconsin? A ranked team? Clayes never should of been the head coach at Minnesota.

Please tell us what they did well here according to the great mind of spoofin
Won 9 games and played on NYD. For starters.

Funny you ask for links but you just want me to take your word for it that PJ self described as not knowing Xs and Os
What I said was that PJ has said he isn’t an Xs and Os guy. I have never said he doesn’t know Xs and Os. Of course he does. Quite well I would suspect. I said that to you as well.

This goes back many months and if IIRC other posters have also said they have heard PJ say that. I sent you links of folks talking about PJ saying that exact thing dating back to his days at WMU - but those were message boards and not presser transcripts and so you dismissed them. Fair enough. I hadn’t thought about that argument in months, but you apparently still are.

If PJ said that, Spoofin should add that to his signature line as one of those exaggerations.
PJ never said he doesn’t know Xs and Os. I recall him once saying he “wasn’t an Xs and Os Guy”, nothing more.

T

There were people on here who said many times they thought it was wrong to fire Claeys and that Claeys should of had a chance. I think you are included in that group. I think what he is saying is that it was 100% the right decision to fire Claeys and 100% the right decision to hire Fleck. Of course you will say how do you know Claeys wouldn’t have succeeded here? To which of course you are entitled to your opinion, however laughable it is to people like myself.
Yes, I was one that said we should not have fired TC and that he should have had a chance. I do think TC would have succeeded here, but also have little doubt we are a stronger team now than we would have been had he stayed on. However, that isn’t all JG was trying to say. He struggles to understand that some can feel both ways - especially if you don’t like PJ’s style as I don’t. He also forgets I never predicted a PJ failure and in fact early on said he was likely a better coach than TC (which he certainly appears to be).

Improved academics dramatically.
Got the Athlete’s village project moving.
So nothing on the field?? I believe the team gpa continues to improve under fleck so your gpa argument is irrelevant as well. Keep trying buddy

So nothing on the field?? I believe the team gpa continues to improve under fleck so your gpa argument is irrelevant as well. Keep trying buddy
You asked for what they accomplished. I gave you both on the field and off the field.
You are a joke with a real quality 8 posts thus far.

PJ never said he doesn’t know Xs and Os. I recall him once saying he “wasn’t an Xs and Os Guy”, nothing more.
I'm really not following the argument between you and Spoofin, but it's on record that PJ admits he leaves Xs and Os to his coordinators (https://www.mlive.com/broncos/2016/12/western_michigan_offensivedefe.html). I don't know if anyone said he's incapable of understanding Xs and Os though. I'm sure PJ would make a decent coordinator if he wanted to be one.

Regarding grades falling during Claey's tenure, here are the multi-year APR scores:
2014-15: 992
2015-16: 1,000
2016-17: 983
2017-18: 978

So the multi-year APR scores are great all along the way with a slight drop during the transition to both Claeys and Fleck. Perhaps that's due to kids transferring out. Either way, no alarming drop from Kill's lofty APR numbers to Claeys/Fleck.
That’s not what spoofin claims he said

spoofin says he said he isn’t an Xs and Os guy. Which he never said. And it would be really easy to prove it if he did. All he would have to do is provide one link of a video or one reputable link quoting him as saying it. But it doesn’t exist.
And then Spoofin asks others for links

Spoofin also didn't claim PJ said he "doesn't know Xs and Os".
You can keep making the claim that he’s a self-described “not an Xs and Os guy” if you want. You are just lying every time you claim it

Spoofin also didn't claim PJ said he "doesn't know Xs and Os".
You can keep making the claim that he’s a self-described “not an Xs and Os guy” if you want. You are just lying every time you claim it
I really don't want to get in the middle of this, but I'm nearly certain Fleck made a comment on the lines of "I leave the X's and O's to my assistants" on more than one of his pressers for the Outback Bowl.

Sure thing. Me and others discussing PJ on message boards from UMN to WMU dating back to 2016 are all making it up, and SI article from 2015 saying he doesn't fancy himself as an Xs and Os guy (not exact wording; https://www.si.com/college/2015/09/24/western-michigans-pj-fleck-ushering-new-coaching-style) is making that up too all because I don't have a transcript of every speech he has ever made. You got me. Sorry you had to hold on to this beauty for so many months.

It’s time to move on buddy. That line is getting old and is irrelevant
Gophers just won 11 games and the outback bowl
The line isnt irrelevant. Whether Fleck did well or did poorly, 9 wins is where Claeys left the program. 2019 compares very favorably to that. Fleck had the best gopher season in a very long time. But to say that coming off the 9 win season, we were in the worst situation in major football history is asinine. We weren't even in the worst place that this program had been in the last decade.

The line isnt irrelevant. Whether Fleck did well or did poorly, 9 wins is where Claeys left the program. 2019 compares very favorably to that. Fleck had the best gopher season in a very long time. But to say that coming off the 9 win season, we were in the worst situation in major football history is asinine. We weren't even in the worst place that this program had been in the last decade.
I’m not understanding your point here... must be spoofins burner account

Sure thing. Me and others discussing PJ on message boards from UMN to WMU dating back to 2016 are all making it up, and SI article from 2015 saying he doesn't fancy himself as an Xs and Os guy (not exact wording; https://www.si.com/college/2015/09/24/western-michigans-pj-fleck-ushering-new-coaching-style) is making that up too all because I don't have a transcript of every speech he has ever made. You got me. Sorry you had to hold on to this beauty for so many months.
Not even close to what the article says. I think I figured out the problem. You don’t know how to read. Here are the two times in the article talks about Xs and Os

“My job is way bigger than X's and O's. My job is the person. Not the player."
-Fleck

Fleck wears cleats to practice, fancies himself more of a motivator than an X's-and-O's savant and has endured criticism for everything from putting a DJ booth in Waldo Stadium to a using a cache of catchphrases so expansive it has created a language—Bronconese.
-the author of the article

no where in this article does Fleck say he isn’t an Xs and Os guy as you claim

I really don't want to get in the middle of this, but I'm nearly certain Fleck made a comment on the lines of "I leave the X's and O's to my assistants" on more than one of his pressers for the Outback Bowl.
And that’s fine. But that’s not what Spoofin claims he said

Not even close to what the article says. I think I figured out the problem. You don’t know how to read. Here are the two times in the article talks about Xs and Os

“My job is way bigger than X's and O's. My job is the person. Not the player."
-Fleck

Fleck wears cleats to practice, fancies himself more of a motivator than an X's-and-O's savant and has endured criticism for everything from putting a DJ booth in Waldo Stadium to a using a cache of catchphrases so expansive it has created a language—Bronconese.
-the author of the article

no where in this article does Fleck say he isn’t an Xs and Os guy as you claim
Spoofin is mentally challenged

I’m not understanding your point here... must be spoofins burner account
My point was simple, the fact that a 9 win season is less good than an 11 win season, doesnt change the fact that it was better than any other recent season where we won less than 9 games.

Top Bottom