Sid: P.J. Fleck engineered historic Gophers turnaround; end of Claeys era "lowest points for any major college football program"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

The Gophers’ historic turnaround was cemented this past week when they finished the 2019 season ranked No. 10 in the Associated Press football poll, their highest ranking since 1962.

When the history of Gophers football is written, you will not be able pass up the fact that only three years ago, this program was in its worst straits ever when P.J. Fleck took over as coach.

The Gophers had fired coach Tracy Claeys on Jan. 3, 2017, even though he had just won a bowl game, beating Washington State 17-12 in the Holiday Bowl.

The headline in the Star Tribune Sports section that day read “Firing and Firestorm,” and it told the whole story.

Claeys had been let go following the suspension of 10 players — Ray Buford, Carlton Djam, Seth Green, KiAnte Hardin, Dior Johnson, Tamarion Johnson, Kobe McCrary, Antonio Shenault, Mark Williams and Antoine Winfield Jr. — but the remaining players on the roster had revolted over that decision.

They held a players-only news conference, and several key members of the team were getting ready to leave the club because they were so upset about how the school had handled the suspensions and firing.

Eventually, several players would be reinstated and have their suspensions lifted, but Winfield was so upset by the suspension, as was his father, that he was minutes away from leaving the program.

The Gophers were a national story for all the wrong reasons.

In several ways, it’s easy to say it was one of the lowest points for any major college football program.

Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle had just been hired, and he told the Star Tribune at the time that he felt like he had no choice when it came to the Claeys decision.

“When I was hired six months ago, I committed to everyone that we would have a program that competed at the highest level academically, athletically and socially,” Coyle said. “With that as my foundation, I thought it was in the best long-term interest of our football program to make this change now.”

But even though the program made that decision, all signs were that it was going to set the football team back in terms of being able to recruit players and keep the team together.

Go Gopehrs!!

I was just thinking there was a dearth of controversial threads this week

I agree with Sid, what Claeys left was an absolute mess. Running train, big suspensions, boycott threat of a bowl game, etc. We need a big culture change and Fleck delivered in short order. Elite hire, elite results, elite culture.

Minnesota Football changed its best.

Regardless of where the blame lies, keeping Claeys would have been a disaster for recruiting following what transpired at the end of 2016. Immediately bringing in a fresh face was the only way to stop the bleeding. That’s all I have to say on the matter. EDIT: One more thing...Winfield would have likely been gone.

Fleck has so completely obliterated the narrative of the last staff I don’t think it’s even a story any more. The #yeahbut9wins crowd was forever silenced after this year’s 11 win campaign. Jerry is at his his 6th destination in 4 years and will never again be a P5 head coach. Claeys is a LB coach and unlikely to get another DC position, yet alone a head coaching job. Limegrover was fired as Penn States OL coach. Minnesota will forever be the career pinnacle for basically every coach on Kill’s staff. So the argument that many insisted on making for years - we were better off with Kill and/or Claeys, has been beaten into submission forever.

I agree with Sid, what Claeys left was an absolute mess. Running train, big suspensions, boycott threat of a bowl game, etc. We need a big culture change and Fleck delivered in short order. Elite hire, elite results, elite culture.

Minnesota Football changed its best.

Grades were dropping too. Culture was falling fast

Fleck has so completely obliterated the narrative of the last staff I don’t think it’s even a story any more. The #yeahbut9wins crowd was forever silenced after this year’s 11 win campaign. Jerry is at his his 6th destination in 4 years and will never again be a P5 head coach. Claeys is a LB coach and unlikely to get another DC position, yet alone a head coaching job. Limegrover was fired as Penn States OL coach. Minnesota will forever be the career pinnacle for basically every coach on Kill’s staff. So the argument that many insisted on making for years - we were better off with Kill and/or Claeys, has been beaten into submission forever.
So these things mean that Kill/Claeys didn’t do well here? Okey Dokey.

I'll be honest and say I can't remember where I read it exactly and will not be able to produce a link (too lazy to search for it). I just remember listening to it on various Burns podcasts, seeing tweets, and reading it on other gopher reporters stories.

Kill and Claeys did some food things and outside of the potshots taken by Kill and Claeys’ sister, I do appreciate what they accomplished while they were here... That said it was time to move on and I couldn’t be more pleased with everything PJ has done here on and off the field!

I'll be honest and say I can't remember where I read it exactly and will not be able to produce a link (too lazy to search for it). I just remember listening to it on various Burns podcasts, seeing tweets, and reading it on other gopher reporters stories.

Pretty sure Kill and Claeys had grades moving right direction, but not as far as they have come under Fleck.

Kills rebuild allowed us to even hire a guy like Fleck. He should be respected for it. Brewster left is place a total mess.
Whatever. “Kill’s rebuild” is looking more and more like a happy accident. I’ve been a huge Kill and Claeys booster. Not anymore. Had enough revisionist history. Fleck would have been had with or without Kill. The deciding factor was Coyle. Best AD in Minnesota history.

Pretty sure Kill and Claeys had grades moving right direction, but not as far as they have come under Fleck.
Again, solely off memory of what I read, it dropped under Claeys. Kill I,proved it for sure. Now Claeys had it in a year of turmoil, so maybe there was justification for it? Either way Coyle made a good choice in my eyes

Whatever. “Kill’s rebuild” is looking more and more like a happy accident. I’ve been a huge Kill and Claeys booster. Not anymore. Had enough revisionist history. Fleck would have been had with or without Kill. The deciding factor was Coyle. Best AD in Minnesota history.
I agree that Fleck would've had or done it no matter what. I will argue that it would've taken longer if. It for Kills work. ? agree on your view of Coyle. Fleck probably doesn't take this job if Coyle wasn't here is a fair and correct statement.

I don't care what anyone else thinks, but Kill and Claeys set the table nicely for Coach Fleck. And I was and am a fan of all three.
I'm a fan of 2/3. Claeys was very meh to me. Also was a big Fleck guy prior to his cotton bowl experience. Either way Coyle desrves credit

I am curious how you think that Kill's rebuild was a happy accident? Please also define your use of the term revisionist history in regards to supporting Kill and Claeys.

My favorite part of forums is that people choose to get mad/defensive/offended. It is 100% fact that people could choose to not read comments, or even enter a thread that they know is going to contain comments that they disagree with. But people still do it. And I love it.

While I agree the end of the Claeys era was a low point of the program, it pales in comparison to the Ped State scandal, SMU death penalty, and some others. The Salem and Brewster eras were also lower points for the program.

Top Bottom