Rossi leaving for DC at Michigan St

Sucks, but it's over. Let's see who PJ brings in and hope for a smooth transition and overall improvement on D. Nothing is certain in life except change.

We can do better. Hopefully we find someone who is a top notch recruiter. Who crap, forgot about NIL. Won’t make any difference. Should be ideal job for a new coach just.starting out. Especially Fickelll ball.
🤦 Tell us your not a longtime fan without telling us your not a longtime fan.

If Rossi wants to be a head coach, maybe he is looking at the lack of offense and the pressure it puts on his defense and is concerned it may impact his future opportunities
Lol. The defense or rather lack of it cost is at least two games this year. That wasn’t the lack of offense putting pressure on the defense. Gave up how many 4th quarter points to NW?

Honestly surprised he wasn’t poached sooner. That’s life if we won’t pay up.

No, just stating that he was getting paid well...one coach Fleck actually "paid up".
I’m just saying not well enough to keep him from getting poached. I’m sure Fleck would have Rossi paid more if he could.

Couple things...he's making $1.1 million here...he's not leaving for 1.3,4 or 5 is he? By all accounts his family is entrenched in the Twin Cities. AND, do we really think if friction in relationships is not the reason, you think Coyle wouldn't approve $200, 300, 400K to keep him?
I don't think it is money.
I could see the offense being so bad that it effects defensive performance being a reason but just PJ and Rossi at odds seems most likely to me.

I guess there is the possibility he could see the future schedules and be wondering if we'll be able to compete and just getting out while he can. New job is likely couple years of security...2 or 3 year contract to leave?

Last edited:

Kind of expected him to leave someday, but still quite a surprise. PJ has signed three defensive transfer commits in the last 24 hours—and I suppose Rossi didn’t spend every minute working on reeling those guys into the Gopher fold. Who did? Wonder who’ll act as DC in the bowl? Also wonder if Rossi is taking Pretzlaff with him. The only constant in life is change.

Kind of expected him to leave someday, but still quite a surprise. PJ has signed three defensive transfer commits in the last 24 hours—and I suppose Rossi didn’t spend every minute working on reeling those guys into the Gopher fold. Who did? Wonder who’ll act as DC in the bowl? Also wonder if Rossi is taking Pretzlaff with him. The only constant in life is change.
Monroe is supposedly a great recruiter and I bet Winston is good too.

Couple things...he's making $1.1 million here...he's not leaving for 1.3,4 or 5 is he? By all accounts his family is entrenched in the Twin Cities. AND, do we really think if friction in relationships is not the reason, you think Coyle wouldn't approve $200, 300, 400K to keep him?
I don't think it is money.
I could see the offense being so bad that it affects defensive performance being a reason but just PJ and Rossi at odds seems most likely to me.
Fleck runs about as friendly an offense as there is for a d coordinator.

Has to be a money thing. Definitely lateral within the Big Ten
Definitely money, I'd also add more resources, better recruits, willing to bet Smith said take over the D and I'll stay out of the way. I'll handle the offense and did I meantion Quicken Loans Money?

Last edited:

We can do better. Hopefully we find someone who is a top notch recruiter. Who crap, forgot about NIL. Won’t make any difference. Should be ideal job for a new coach just.starting out. Especially Fickelll ball.
Yeah I about to say...before you caught yourself LOL. As if the coaches have anything to do with talent acquisition.

Can and will PJ hire a proven DC? Or will PJ hire inexperience with his fingers crossed? Would proven DC want to work for PJ? Rossi should have been one of the top paid DCs in the B1G.
That's the scary part, who is PJ going to hire.

My money is on the db coach who's from MN name escapes me but I think he's the replacement...
Yeah, I think one of the reason he left Syracuse to come here was due to not getting the DC job with the Orange.

Top Bottom