Quarterback

Some of it is OL play.

I felt this way in 2020 as well, but it felt like a down year for our OL. Teams were able to break through the LOS pretty consistently, and there were many plays that didn't get a chance to develop because AK immediately had to leave the pocket to try to avoid a sack.

I don't know if this is an indication of needing to think about a change at OL coach, or S&C coach, or just more focused recruiting. Could also be a symptom of our own anemic pass rush game not giving the OL a sufficient challenge in practices.

I don't know how much of an impact it had, but it certainly was >0.

Some of this is opponents not respecting the play action pass. It seems like defenses can send numbers on every play as if in a run blitz and expect that the pass won't burn them nor get hit by an explosive run.

the mere fact that they are making offers to transfer QB's this soon certainly suggests that Fleck & Co. are not satisfied with the status quo.

whether it's the New Hampshire QB or some other transfer, I think the ideal situation would be to find a QB with at least 2 years eligibility remaining, so Lindsey isn't forced to jump in there before he's ready.

Is this a prevailing trend to snag an experienced QB in the B1G?

How is Drew Viotto?

What if.....

And this is completely random thinking here 😉, but what if PJ as a "tough conversation" with AK in December and he transfers ??? We get a transfer portal QB to fill the season(s) before the Arkansas star QB takes over ?

A guy can dream can't he ;).

Last edited:

NH guy looks solid, would be hopeful that would help keep Taylor or some of underclassmen around if we have 1 guaranteed stable year

Hopefully PJ offering a grad transfer QB means AK has expressed interest in transferring.

Can be Brosmer than Drake Lindsey after that
I think it's pretty humorous many are grasping for AK's replacement. My suspicion is Fleck is looking for one he can plug into this horrible offense. If not and he does get experienced successful coaches, he has a QB in AK with huge potential to be developed.

So does this offer imply that there is not going to be any OC change since it would be unusual to seek a commitment from a guy and then bait and switching the OC.
Or our current OC isn't the one recruiting him and he has been told a different OC/QB coach is going to be coming in. That would be a riskier pitch for sure, but still a possibility

I think it's pretty humorous many are grasping for AK's replacement. My suspicion is Fleck is looking for one he can plug into this horrible offense. If not and he does get experienced successful coaches, he has a QB in AK with huge potential to be developed.
Until we have a QB who goes through his route progression beyond wr #1 and throws with a little touch I'm unwilling to state that the state of the offense is more than 49% the coordinators' faults. We're handicapped by a bad QB, not a bad scheme. Have a QB who hits his receivers at greater than 60% (hell, I'll take 57%) and the defense has to alter their philosophy away from blitz heavy/stacked box, making it a very different game. I'll stand by my observations that we had open receivers every game, they just typically weren't running the primary route.

As an addendum, in this current conference Fleck doesn't have the luxury of time to turn AK from a lowly caterpillar into a beautiful butterfly. We need a solid qb six weeks ago.

When do portal players decide on their new school? Is there a date/deadline?

And... will Kaliakmanis be the Gopher QB in the bowl game, now that the team has offered a grad transfer portal QB a roster spot?

That TOP Tight End had a terrible 26.5% drop rate according to PFF, and they are usually generous on drops. The QB couldn't rely on him a good chunk of the year.
so 75% of the time he catches the ball and averages 9 yards + per catch. this is a bit of a silly stat when we have only been targeting our TEs like 4 times a game. If I was BSF I would be furious at how this program treated him this season.

When do portal players decide on their new school? Is there a date/deadline?

And... will Kaliakmanis be the Gopher QB in the bowl game, now that the team has offered a grad transfer portal QB a roster spot?
They can wait to transfer right up until the fall as far as enrollment goes.

As far as AK, I just assume he knows that you bring guys in and if he wants to be here + improve, he plays.

Despite our feelings, no reason he couldn't win the spot next year.

so 75% of the time he catches the ball and averages 9 yards + per catch. this is a bit of a silly stat when we have only been targeting our TEs like 4 times a game. If I was BSF I would be furious at how this program treated him this season.

Jeezus, look up stats before bitching. BSF was the 5th targeted TE in the conference and not far from the top. He was given plenty of opportunities.

1701123172520.png

As an addendum, in this current conference Fleck doesn't have the luxury of time to turn AK from a lowly caterpillar into a beautiful butterfly. We need a solid qb six weeks ago.
This is a development program, period. I had hope Fleck would elevate as Coyle professed in his intro, but it has not happened. Don't think it would have mattered with this offense, and that's my point.

Until we have a QB who goes through his route progression beyond wr #1 and throws with a little touch I'm unwilling to state that the state of the offense is more than 49% the coordinators' faults. We're handicapped by a bad QB, not a bad scheme. Have a QB who hits his receivers at greater than 60% (hell, I'll take 57%) and the defense has to alter their philosophy away from blitz heavy/stacked box, making it a very different game. I'll stand by my observations that we had open receivers every game, they just typically weren't running the primary route.
Again, this offense doesn't allow for the QB to go through progressions. As others have pointed out, it is a very basic scheme that keeps extra players in to pass block, with slow developing routes.

They can wait to transfer right up until the fall as far as enrollment goes.

As far as AK, I just assume he knows that you bring guys in and if he wants to be here + improve, he plays.

Despite our feelings, no reason he couldn't win the spot next year.
May is the next transfer window.

This is a development program, period. I had hope Fleck would elevate as Coyle professed in his intro, but it has not happened. Don't think it would have mattered with this offense, and that's my point.

You could be running the most creative, innovative, mind-blowing, brilliant offense the football world has ever seen, but if your QB cannot execute, cannot hit his receivers, if he's slow and hesitant making decisions, then it won't matter how astounding your play designs are. The best offensive scheme goes nowhere without QB play that is at least adequate.

Last edited:

Let me ask another (possibly dumb) question regarding portal transfers:

If you were a grad transfer QB, looking to compete to be the new starter at a new school, wouldn't you want to declare as soon as possible in order to give yourself as much time as you could to learn a new offense, etc.?

What is the soonest a portal/grad transfer could participate in activities with his new team?

Let me ask another (possibly dumb) question regarding portal transfers:

If you were a grad transfer QB, looking to compete to be the new starter at a new school, wouldn't you want to declare as soon as possible in order to give yourself as much time as you could to learn a new offense, etc.?

What is the soonest a portal/grad transfer could participate in activities with his new team?
Yeah you probably should make the move ASAP.

Where you thinking of transferring to?

Hopefully PJ offering a grad transfer QB means AK has expressed interest in transferring.

Can be Brosmer than Drake Lindsey after that
I certainly don't think AK8 has to transfer if Brosmer comes on board. Some real competition at QB would be very welcome--would make each QB better. And injuries occur; it is always desirable to have a 2nd experienced option at such a key position. And what if Brosmer isn't as good as he seems? I hope AK8 stays even if we get Brosmer.

I certainly don't think AK8 has to transfer if Brosmer comes on board. Some real competition at QB would be very welcome--would make each QB better. And injuries occur; it is always desirable to have a 2nd experienced option at such a key position. And what if Brosmer isn't as good as he seems? I hope AK8 stays even if we get Brosmer.
29 TD’s and 6 ints. Led team tonFCS playoffs last year and this year lost 5 games by average of 5 points per, including two OT losses. Looks like their defense was terrible. Competition will be high for this guy.

UNH scored less than 30 only 3 times and never less than 24.

I felt sorry for AK and the team when he was lying in the end zone with the Tweedy Birds flying around his head.

A couple things, Trey Lance and Carson Wentz, F.C.S.

Don’t QB’s want to compete anymore? Seems like they just want to be anointed or something. There was a Minnesota High School kid, high ranked QB recruit a long time ago, maybe even the 90’s who went to Michigan when they were already loaded at QB, but he wanted to give it a go. Seems like not much of that anymore.

I am not sure the coaches trust any quarterback, seems like their leashes are very short, hence the running on 3rd and medium. I seem to recall a Tanner game against Neb. in 2019 where he was almost perfect until right before or right after half, threw a pick and basically was almost shut down for the game, I think that ended up being a pattern. Shut down after a bad throw, won’t help the confidence in the QB room.

Top Bottom