Quarterback

Again, this offense doesn't allow for the QB to go through progressions. As others have pointed out, it is a very basic scheme that keeps extra players in to pass block, with slow developing routes.
There is still more than one route being run and if you're feeling pressure you hit your safety valve. There's always a hot route/safety valve/whatever one may call it. If you aren't looking at number two because your number one is blanketed or looking at your rb or just tucking it and running, that's on you. It's a basic thing we see at even the worst of programs.

I don't know the gophers' playbook and I don't know that others know anything about either the playbook or the truth as to the plays taking too long to develop. Even if you keep in two tight ends for extra pass pro you have two wideouts and a running back. And they're not running those formations every play. Sometimes, sure, I'll buy that. But this has been all year against some poor defenses who get pressure with poor dline play. And if the coaches are unwilling to shoulder the qb with more than two route options per play, that's pretty condemning of the most important guy on the field because they don't trust he can recall three or four routes or be trusted to look their way. The quarterback is not ready for this level and likely never will be.

This is a development program, period. I had hope Fleck would elevate as Coyle professed in his intro, but it has not happened. Don't think it would have mattered with this offense, and that's my point.
I guess I was more commenting on how we need a transfer ready to roll right now, we can't anchor ourselves to Kaliakmanis for another year and hope to get back to being a competitive team.

It is basically a S show. These coaches think they have all have the answer with the guys they have chosen, most of the time it does not work out and then they scramble to fill in the blanks out of desperation. Same song and dance every year.

Some of this is opponents not respecting the play action pass. It seems like defenses can send numbers on every play as if in a run blitz and expect that the pass won't burn them nor get hit by an explosive run.
This is a HUGE part of it, IMO. If I'm a DC, I sell out to stop run with nosey safeties, run blitzes, man or zero coverage, aggressively crashing edge players opposite the RB, etc., because...
  1. 65% of the time you're making the right decision
  2. The WRs aren't fast enough to consistently pop the top anyway
  3. When they do get free, the QB is hesitant to take shots downfield or into tight windows and is fairly inaccurate either way.
You didn't have a drastically different scheme in 2019, by the way. You just had two WRs who consistently cooked man coverage, a QB who wasn't afraid to chuck it downfield because those WRs were way more open and he trusted them to come down with it either way, and he was way more accurate than the current QB. DCs were in a real pickle trying to stop both run and pass with that team. You couldn't play man or 0 coverage, but you couldn't leave 6 in the box.

There is still more than one route being run and if you're feeling pressure you hit your safety valve. There's always a hot route/safety valve/whatever one may call it. If you aren't looking at number two because your number one is blanketed or looking at your rb or just tucking it and running, that's on you. It's a basic thing we see at even the worst of programs.

I don't know the gophers' playbook and I don't know that others know anything about either the playbook or the truth as to the plays taking too long to develop. Even if you keep in two tight ends for extra pass pro you have two wideouts and a running back. And they're not running those formations every play. Sometimes, sure, I'll buy that. But this has been all year against some poor defenses who get pressure with poor dline play. And if the coaches are unwilling to shoulder the qb with more than two route options per play, that's pretty condemning of the most important guy on the field because they don't trust he can recall three or four routes or be trusted to look their way. The quarterback is not ready for this level and likely never will be.
It's like you didn't read my post. Oh well.

Having spent a semester at UA in Fayetteville, one thing stands out: the whole state is pretty much Hog Wild. So, what's Drake Lindsey's back story? UA is 3-9, he's the hottest HS QB in Fayetteville. Why aren't the Razorbacks in on him?

Can a grad transfer/portal QB join a new team right now, before they play their bowl game?
Even if they commit before the bowl game they wouldn't be eligible to play for the team until the 2024 season.

Having spent a semester at UA in Fayetteville, one thing stands out: the whole state is pretty much Hog Wild. So, what's Drake Lindsey's back story? UA is 3-9, he's the hottest HS QB in Fayetteville. Why aren't the Razorbacks in on him?

Arkansas has a higher rated 4-star coming in 2024 and had another higher 4-star in 2023. Just speculating that it might have had an impact.

Don't know the whole story but my guess would be Arkansas lack of interest probably has something to do with the 4* QB they have committed to them from Alabama. Sure they like Drake but like the other guy more.

Don't know the whole story but my guess would be Arkansas lack of interest probably has something to do with the 4* QB they have committed to them from Alabama. Sure they like Drake but like the other guy more.
Maybe - but he doesn’t have any other P5 offers besides MN.

Best case for the team would be a transfer QB coming in AND AK staying.

Athan had a very inconsistent year but there is talent there and even if there is a new starter next year he would still make for a very capable backup option.
The writing is on the wall. AK will hit the portal sooner than later.

The writing is on the wall. AK will hit the portal sooner than later.
Maybe....depends on what he wants. If he wants to stay at the power 5 level his options will be pretty limited. If he wants to drop down some and/or get closer to home he can probably find a taker at the G5 level.

Athan would perhaps find more success in the MVFC where the QBs typically complement the offense and don't carry them on their back. Perhaps Illinois State as it's near his hometown and Zach Annexstad just finished his final season. I wish him the best but think it's time to bring in a transfer and hope Lindsey sticks with us

He has shown no speed, explosviness. There have been more than several times this year he had 25 yards ahead of him but because he is so slow that ends up being. I stand by my statement he is slower than Morgan based on what i watched this year.
To me, he seems a lot slower than last year when running.

AK is a 1 read quarterback!! and to make it worse, he is not a threat to run. Plus AK doesn't throw a catchable ball. He is a fast ball thrower with no second pitch!! That doesn't translate.

PJ in 7 years has not developed and or recruited a quarterback. That is what happens when you play a mediocre Tanner Morgan for 6 years. QB position is PJ's biggest fault!

Gotta go get one in the Portal.
You would think some QB coaching along the way would have corrected the sideways sling delivery.

Athan would perhaps find more success in the MVFC where the QBs typically complement the offense and don't carry them on their back. Perhaps Illinois State as it's near his hometown and Zach Annexstad just finished his final season. I wish him the best but think it's time to bring in a transfer and hope Lindsey sticks with us

Zack was having an above average senior season before injuring his knee in early November.

Just saw that Spencer Petras, Iowa, is in the 2024 transfer portal. Not kidding, Grad transfer, I assume
Everyone calm down! Don’t we have Vic Viramontes (sp) coming to save the day - can’t miss transfer that PJ got - boom - all is well

Everyone calm down! Don’t we have Vic Viramontes (sp) coming to save the day - can’t miss transfer that PJ got - boom - all is well
Ha, just checked out Vic, he switched to linebacker some years back, I shat you not.

Even if they commit before the bowl game they wouldn't be eligible to play for the team until the 2024 season.
They still have to be students, in whatever form that takes in this era. So there’s no way they could be considered actively enrolled until at least the winter/spring semester in January.

Top Bottom