Quarterback

I just think AK is bad at making quick decisions. It appears they do run true read options at times and he reads it incorrectly quite often.

There was a play yesterday where he held the ball in the belly of Nubin pretty long. The unblocked defender he’s supposed to be reading crashed down hard and made the tackle on Nubin. AK was visibly upset with himself. Rightfully so as he runs for a good amount if he keeps it.
There were a few times yesterday where he just goes to the wrong guy. He either goes first read or is late. First drive was aberration in WI still feeling things out.

You're clearly not watching the same game plans I am. They are a joke. Offense plan is either the 2017 play book or from a mediocre small HS program, at best. They are not doing AK any favors, none.
I said the coaches aren’t doing him any favors in the next post.

Both can be true. AK has a hard time making split second decisions and the gameplans suck.

I said the coaches aren’t doing him any favors in the next post.

Both can be true. AK has a hard time making split second decisions and the gameplans suck.
I don't think the game plans actually allow for these split decisions you speak of, other than tucking the ball and running.

Vanderbilt has a better qb than the University of Minnesota. Hard to digest.
Notice who is at #20 (Mertz). Former dud at WI. Scheme and a commitment to the passing game have a lot to do with passing success. Poor schemes and a reluctance to go in on the passing game have a lot to do with passing mediocrity. I bet AK8 would be a success on most SEC teams because they elevate the passing game, allowing his talent to flourish.

Last edited:

Notice who is at #20 (Mertz). Former dud at WI. Scheme and a commitment to the passing game has a lot to do with passing success. Poor schemes and a reluctance to go in on the passing game has a lot to do with passing mediocrity. I bet AK8 would be a success on most SEC teams because they elevate the passing game, allowing his talent to flourish.
Uh wut?

Is there something to indicate AK would be good there? Just because he is bad here?

AK makes a pass like in the Illinois game just because he's in the SEC?

I don't think the game plans actually allow for these split decisions you speak of, other than tucking the ball and running.
You don’t think he has more than one option on each passing play? I think he really struggles finding the 2nd and 3rd options.

That’s the aforementioned New Hampshire QB in case others are wondering. PJ wasting ZERO time and I’m here for it.
I don’t doubt this will be very difficult to do. It seems like everyone needs a quarterback this year…. But I am glad to see the wheels turning already.

AK is a 1 read quarterback!! and to make it worse, he is not a threat to run. Plus AK doesn't throw a catchable ball. He is a fast ball thrower with no second pitch!! That doesn't translate.

PJ in 7 years has not developed and or recruited a quarterback. That is what happens when you play a mediocre Tanner Morgan for 6 years. QB position is PJ's biggest fault!

Gotta go get one in the Portal.

It will have to be the FCS. That’s all we can afford.

Any other P5 get wind of this guy, and now they will, will be able to outbid us.

It’s the exact same risk we take in recruiting, when we go after a guy with no other P5 offers. We hope he’ll be loyal to us as his first, but also put him on the radar of other schools.

Doesn’t seem weird that we had so many drops this year? When we never had that problem before? And we have a head coach who was a reciever?

It’s AK.

He throws a very difficult ball to catch.

It’s that simple. Nothing else explains it.

I’m talking even when it’s perfectly placed. It’s coming too fast and the spiral is spinning too fast. That puts extra torque on your hands to try to stop it spinning.

You don’t think he has more than one option on each passing play? I think he really struggles finding the 2nd and 3rd options.
And opposing defense seem to know it. They can both blitz without much worry about the consequences AND focus on wherever AK's eyes go from the start of the play. Makes playing defense of hell of a lot easier for the other team.

I posted this earlier. Athan has disappointed but I really think it is hard for any QB to be successful in this offense. It was a 3rd down around midfield and he threw a pass into double coverage (I believe to CrAB but may have been Daniel Jackson). It was 3rd and Medium and the Gophers literally had two receivers out in a route. He struggled to find the third option because there wasn't one. His options were 1) throw it short of the sticks 2) take a chance to get a first down.

It will have to be the FCS. That’s all we can afford.

Any other P5 get wind of this guy, and now they will, will be able to outbid us.

It’s the exact same risk we take in recruiting, when we go after a guy with no other P5 offers. We hope he’ll be loyal to us as his first, but also put him on the radar of other schools.
One area that PJ deserves credit is I feel that the vast majority of our FCS players end up being some of our better players.

I posted this earlier. Athan has disappointed but I really think it is hard for any QB to be successful in this offense. It was a 3rd down around midfield and he threw a pass into double coverage (I believe to CrAB but may have been Daniel Jackson). It was 3rd and Medium and the Gophers literally had two receivers out in a route. He struggled to find the third option because there wasn't one. His options were 1) throw it short of the sticks 2) take a chance to get a first down.
For sure. I absolutely hate the max protection pass plays. It’s not hard to cover just two or three routes.

I wish we were more creative with our RBs in the passing game.

Ak might be an issue but the game plan is also a big part of this. How many times did we throw the ball to our TOP Tight end this year?

Ak might be an issue but the game plan is also a big part of this. How many times did we throw the ball to our TOP Tight end this year?

That TOP Tight End had a terrible 26.5% drop rate according to PFF, and they are usually generous on drops. The QB couldn't rely on him a good chunk of the year.

For sure. I absolutely hate the max protection pass plays. It’s not hard to cover just two or three routes.

I wish we were more creative with our RBs in the passing game.
Agreed. He doesn't have split second decisions to make because the routes develop too slowly and to your point, are very easy to defend with the number of blockers held back. It's not a good or even average offensive scheme.

To me AK looks good in the first half of games, and then morphs into something else (inefficient, uncomfortable, unconfident, indecisive - pick one) in the second half. Why is that? Is it him, the team around him, the play call? I think there's a good player there, but this was a wasted season and I'm not ready to put it all on kaliakmanis.

Max Brosmer highlights...

Max Brosmer stats...

Concept is great! But I'm confused by PJF and the QB spot. We are a conservative run first, run second team. Ok that's fine, so why not get a running QB? Instead we look for pocket passers. The reason I don't see this happening, I'm guessing this kid has NFL aspirations, why would he come here to hand it off 40 tines a game? Look at a place like WKU or Wazzu, they aren't generally great but they toss it around the park and get kids drafted at that position (Zappe and Minshew). So I think this is a long shot at best. Again I like PJF but his handling of the QB position is a giant red flag.

Concept is great! But I'm confused by PJF and the QB spot. We are a conservative run first, run second team. Ok that's fine, so why not get a running QB? Instead we look for pocket passers. The reason I don't see this happening, I'm guessing this kid has NFL aspirations, why would he come here to hand it off 40 tines a game? Look at a place like WKU or Wazzu, they aren't generally great but they toss it around the park and get kids drafted at that position (Zappe and Minshew). So I think this is a long shot at best. Again I like PJF but his handling of the QB position is a giant red flag.

PJs gift is sales.

Sell.

Doesn’t seem weird that we had so many drops this year? When we never had that problem before? And we have a head coach who was a reciever?

It’s AK.

He throws a very difficult ball to catch.

It’s that simple. Nothing else explains it.

I’m talking even when it’s perfectly placed. It’s coming too fast and the spiral is spinning too fast. That puts extra torque on your hands to try to stop it spinning.

I agree with this except….tongue in cheek? The receivers outside of Bateman, Johnson, Daniel (mostly this year) didn’t seem to consistently help the QB out. Drops, 20/80 on 50/50s. Lack of a prototypical deep threat or go-to possession receiver.

I don't know about NFL aspirations; I believe I heard/read that he's planning on med school.

As far as the whole "we run too much to attract a decent QB" argument goes, when Fleck had competent QB play (Zach Terrell at WMU, Tanner Morgan in 2019) he was fine with an offense that wasn't as run-heavy.

Kaliakmanis' play this season didn't inspire anybody, nor did it fill the coaches with confidence in the pass game in general. Coaches generally run the plays they believe in, and the ones that give the team the best chance at a positive outcome. Too many negatives in the passing game in 2023.

Top Bottom