Quarterback

I could be wrong - but I think that Fleck just does not want the QB to run. It could be fear of injury, or just some philosophical viewpoint - but through 7 years, the Gopher QB's as a group may have run less - either on designed runs or scrambles - than almost any other B1G team.

at a time when everyone - even the NFL - wants mobile QB's - Fleck seems to be tied to a 'pocket passer' philosophy.

I think the evidence says you have to be right. When the keep is wide open/green grass for miles is it even conceivable the QB doesn’t see that. Then again, who knows what they’re coached to look at. Opposing coaches and players surely notice the tendency.

I sound like a broken record, but I think some of this is on the OC/QB coach who has NEVER been in either position before. You CAN'T rely on an inexperienced OC/QB coach in the B1G, you just can't.

Could Harbaugh be a good OC/QB coach later in his career? Sure, but he's basically gotta do all his learning on the job in what will arguably be the strongest and toughest conference in college football. Talk about baptism by fire.

We need an OC who has some years under his belt, and has done the hard learning already. Not someone who's learning is going to easily tank a season.
I think it is true that both player and his coaches are garbage.

We might be stuck with the QB or an equivalent. Can PJ bring in a competent coordinator and QB coach? Poor pay and PJs style and personality might be barriers.

If finding a competent passer is near impossible. At least find a guy that is inaccurate but can run the ball.

Last edited:

The scary part is, I don't think any QB transfer that would consider coming to Minnesota would be any better than AK. Why would any quarterback with more talent want to come here and deal with this staff and this philosophy?

My ears perked up on the opening drive, but then the rest of the game happened. We seem to have some secret rule that transcends head coaches that says we stick with the anointed QB unless he is injured. Once you earn that starting job you can be mediocre for four years because “you put us in the best position to win.”
What better options has Fleck had to put in? None

Can you name a time this season he extended a play with his feet? He is less athletic than Morgan from a running standpoint. That is not what we were told when we recruited him. I would argue reason why he is running for his life is he holds the ball way to long. He is the worst quarterback in the last 20 years that started at least 10 games. Now the question is does the most sutbborn coach I have came across change his philosphy and bring someone in to compete, whether portal or Lindsay.

Also we could not find one series all season to play Vito or even see what we have? It is mind boggling there is a way to get him a series.

If we can find a qb just an average qb i feel a lot better for next year. We return everybody including the best runner through the first 5 games in the country. (I know the portal changes everything). IT can be any worse at the QB position.
I agree with a lot of what you said. I am not in love with Athan - I am just not ready to kick him to the curb. I really hope that we don't see Lindsay next year. I would feel much better about him redshirting and maybe getting some mop up time.

There was one play yesterday where he extended the play with his feet... he hit BSF on a short gain around midfield towards the Gophers sideline.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I am not in love with Athan - I am just not ready to kick him to the curb. I really hope that we don't see Lindsay next year. I would feel much better about him redshirting and maybe getting some mop up time.

There was one play yesterday where he extended the play with his feet... he hit BSF on a short gain around midfield towards the Gophers sideline.

Yep. I’d argue give him a new perspective, ie a new OC/position coach. Sometimes change is good. Then again, sometimes players aren’t good. I can’t decide here.

He is nowhere near as athletic as the Wisconsin QB. Not close. There was plenty of creativity and the play calling was fine. AK is not the answer. Some people say there is no "flow" to our offense. That is true but its largely because we don't convert on 3rd down. A terrible throw, a dropped pass, you name it.... "Flow" requires players to do their jobs. And we haven't seen that.
Again, he basically missed the last two seasons in HS. Played an abbreviated Sr season. I saw no indication that Fleck, OC, and QB coach did much of anything to develop him. Nothing. This offense was straight out of 2017. Vanilla conservative and predictable. That last play where AK got his bell ring says it all. Pass play to the short side from the end zone where he only has one option. Horrible. The guy has talent and skills.

Last edited:

Mordecai played well yesterday. He is light years better than AK, passing, running, seeing the field, everything. But, the important thing to know is Mordecai is in the average range for P5 quarterbacks. There will be a few dozen of these in the portal.

Will one as good as Mordecai want to play for Fleck? Very doubtful.
Mordecai was 14-22 yesterday with 2 tds and a pick, he had several balls thrown poorly but our defenders weren't in the same zip code

AK was 16-28 with a td and a pick. Jackson gets open somewhat consistently, but all the others are just blanketed. We need receiver help in the worst possible way.

Mordecai could drop back yesterday, eat his sandwich, go to the bathroom, and then scan the field before throwing. He also had a back running all over us.

I saw a completely different game. AK was under pressure the second he planted.

We were completely dominated in the trenches on both sides.

Last edited:

He had that long run as well.

I think the evidence says you have to be right. When the keep is wide open/green grass for miles is it even conceivable the QB doesn’t see that. Then again, who knows what they’re coached to look at. Opposing coaches and players surely notice the tendency.
It’s one of my big beefs with Fleck. It’s just personal preference. I love a quarterback like Max Duggan. He’s an average thrower maybe but good enough for college and runs his ass off. A lot of those type guys are winners. If we’re gonna run this nonsense offense, I don’t see how you can’t have a running quarterback. To prepare for PJs deal opponents have to watch film for a couple of hours and then go drink beer. It’s gotta be so easy to plan against?

I sound like a broken record, but I think some of this is on the OC/QB coach who has NEVER been in either position before. You CAN'T rely on an inexperienced OC/QB coach in the B1G, you just can't.

Could Harbaugh be a good OC/QB coach later in his career? Sure, but he's basically gotta do all his learning on the job in what will arguably be the strongest and toughest conference in college football. Talk about baptism by fire.

We need an OC who has some years under his belt, and has done the hard learning already. Not someone who's learning is going to easily tank a season.
It's different than when Sanford struggled. There were a lot plays this year that had big play potential (nice design with receivers wide open), but usually the QB failed to execute and sometimes the receivers dropped the ball. However, part of coaching is knowing the strengths of your players and getting the ball to the playmakers in space. I know Tyler didn't help his cause at all, but I wish they would have figured out a way to get him the ball in space with screens or short passes more for example.

I am not writing off Harbaugh yet, but i do see your point. Is the OC at Boulder going to be available?

I could be wrong - but I think that Fleck just does not want the QB to run. It could be fear of injury, or just some philosophical viewpoint - but through 7 years, the Gopher QB's as a group may have run less - either on designed runs or scrambles - than almost any other B1G team.

at a time when everyone - even the NFL - wants mobile QB's - Fleck seems to be tied to a 'pocket passer' philosophy.
Was Tressell known for running QBs?

Definitely would be happy if we tried to bring Max Johnson here. Can throw the ball. Nate Johnson is a runner like some want

Maybe Archie Manning will jump into the portal since Ewers isn’t going anywhere and we be so lucky to convince him to come here? Wouldn’t that just be an OMG!

Mordecai was 14-22 yesterday with 2 tds and a pick, he had several balls thrown poorly but our defenders weren't in the same zip code

AK was 16-28 with a td and a pick. Jackson gets open somewhat consistently, but all the others are just blanketed. We need receiver help in the worst possible way.

Mordecai could drop back yesterday, eat his sandwich, go to the bathroom, and then scan the field before throwing. He also had a back running all over us.

I saw a completely different game. AK was under pressure the second he planted.

We were completely dominated in the trenches on both sides.
Mordecai did not eat 28 sandwiches. He’s not that big an eater. He may have lit a couple cigars waiting to see what was happening thx to our brilliant defensive plan to rush three all day.

He had the clear advantage but would you agree he was confident, in control, and quite good when he decided to run? AK looked indecisive, and at times a bit frightened back there. He doesn’t get the ball out and doesn’t get out in time when pressure compresses his work place.

I am shocked because many times last year he knew when to get out for good gains.

We all wonder why he has not been coached more this season. Maybe he has been over coached.

Little to no rollouts, no creativity, RPO, which I thought meant the quarterback could actually run the ball? Totally handcuffed him to be a playmaker, but then again, he’s not that good. Had a few nice throws this year, but I think he ended up with just as many picks as he did TDs. Forcing bad throws, which is on the wideouts and their coaching and playcalling. Harbaugh needs to go and they need to revamp the play calling.
This. I have no idea why the Gophers went away from the RPO that was our bread and butter for a while. Give Athan the chance to make a choice and utilize short passes to let him get into a rhythm.

It’s one of my big beefs with Fleck. It’s just personal preference. I love a quarterback like Max Duggan. He’s an average thrower maybe but good enough for college and runs his ass off. A lot of those type guys are winners. If we’re gonna run this nonsense offense, I don’t see how you can’t have a running quarterback. To prepare for PJs deal opponents have to watch film for a couple of hours and then go drink beer. It’s gotta be so easy to plan against?
I agree especially in college. A mobile quarterback can really stress a defense even if they aren't the most accurate. AK is mobile, but they almost never used him that way. I felt like it was because they were terrified of who was behind him so didn't want to take the chance of him getting hurt. I can't think of any other reason not to use his legs more.

Yep. I’d argue give him a new perspective, ie a new OC/position coach. Sometimes change is good. Then again, sometimes players aren’t good. I can’t decide here.
I could totally see AK8 going the way of a Graham Mertz. Sometimes change is good. I'd rather give AK a chance with a new coach working with him.

Mordecai did not eat 28 sandwiches. He’s not that big an eater. He may have lit a couple cigars waiting to see what was happening thx to our brilliant defensive plan to rush three all day.

He had the clear advantage but would you agree he was confident, in control, and quite good when he decided to run? AK looked indecisive, and at times a bit frightened back there. He doesn’t get the ball out and doesn’t get out in time when pressure compresses his work place.

I am shocked because many times last year he knew when to get out for good gains.

We all wonder why he has not been coached more this season. Maybe he has been over coached.
Because Fleck has the wrong coaches in place. Good Lord it's like they decided to use the 2017 playbook. Hard to be confident or successful with the garbage plays they ran. People bitched and moaned about Kill's offense (sometiemes rightfully) but if you take out 2019, in my eyes Fleck's offenses have been worse...just so basic and predictable. By no means was Wisconsin's offense creative yesterday, but they had multiple plays designed to get a receiver pretty much wide open when needed.

Last edited:

I could totally see AK8 going the way of a Graham Mertz. Sometimes change is good. I'd rather give AK a chance with a new coach working with him.
He and his family seem all in on the gophers, which they should since two of their kids are on full scholarship with his brother here I just don’t see him leaving. His brother wouldn’t have much shot I don’t think of getting picked up in the portal.

Top Bottom