Quarterback

I agree especially in college. A mobile quarterback can really stress a defense even if they aren't the most accurate. AK is mobile, but they almost never used him that way. I felt like it was because they were terrified of who was behind him so didn't want to take the chance of him getting hurt. I can't think of any other reason not to use his legs more.
Yeah, I saw at least two times where AK looked and saw the open running lane and didn't take it. These were 15-20 yard possibilities to the sideline. I agree as others have stated, that this has probably been drilled into his head not to run. The time he did take off, it was what, 20+ yards and stepping out of bounds?

Last edited:

He and his family seem all in on the gophers, which they should since two of their kids are on full scholarship with his brother here I just don’t see him leaving. His brother wouldn’t have much shot I don’t think of getting picked up in the portal.
I agree. I was more saying but didn't clairfy... if he were to transfer I could totally see him having success quickly. It is getting harder to defend but I truly thinks he has talent.

I agree especially in college. A mobile quarterback can really stress a defense even if they aren't the most accurate. AK is mobile, but they almost never used him that way. I felt like it was because they were terrified of who was behind him so didn't want to take the chance of him getting hurt. I can't think of any other reason not to use his legs more.
He has shown no speed, explosviness. There have been more than several times this year he had 25 yards ahead of him but because he is so slow that ends up being. I stand by my statement he is slower than Morgan based on what i watched this year.

A coach in his 7th year should not find himself terrified if the No. 2 QB had to come in.

Most of completions are bad as well. On the drive before the 4th down fail we left many yards on the table. Nubin having to make a one handed catch instead of catching in stride, BSF having to fall down to make a catch when he could've probably run for 10 more yards with a decent pass. Jackson having to make an amazing catch on a high fastball. He's just terribly inaccurate.
AMEN

That's honestly what had me post a thread earlier in the year asking if AK is our best choice. Even his successful passes are often borderline. That's such a worrisome sign.

We need better quarterback play.

We had at least two wins available with better QB play this year, and I’d argue more were possible with nothing more than better play at QB.

Two more wins, three more …. this year looks much different.

The frustrating thing is there are probably 25 backup QBs in the SEC who could come here and start from day 1. All we need is one of them.

Yeah um, no.
There are 12 teams in the SEC and if each team has 3 backups, that is 36 backup (non-starting) QBs for the conference. I would be comfortable ranking AK #26 of 36 in that group based solely in these numbers and watching SEC QBs on TV every week.

1701055111240.png

There are 12 teams in the SEC and if each team has 3 backups, that is 36 backup (non-starting) QBs for the conference. I would be comfortable ranking AK #26 of 36 in that group based solely in these numbers and watching SEC QBs on TV every week.

View attachment 28525
Vanderbilt has a better qb than the University of Minnesota. Hard to digest.

Again, he basically missed the last two seasons in HS. Played an abbreviated Sr season. I saw no indication that Fleck, OC, and QB coach did much of anything to develop him. Nothing. This offense was straight out of 2017. Vanilla conservative and predictable. That last play where AK got his bell ring says it all. Pass play to the short side from the end zone where he only has one option. Horrible. The guy has talent and skills.
I agree that AK is not being developed or coached up. But he has also failed to make the most of what he has. Personally, I think Harbough should go and a competent QB coach and/or OC needs to be hired. Then we need to recruit a QB that can challenge for the starting job.

AMEN

That's honestly what had me post a thread earlier in the year asking if AK is our best choice. Even his successful passes are often borderline. That's such a worrisome sign.
There have been so many times where AK had a completion that a reasonably close pass would have resulted in YAC. Instead, the pass was grossly off and the receiver (usually Jackson) made a great diving play to catch it, but resulted in him being down immediately. If AK (and the redundant scholarship given to his brother) want to hang around as QB2, great. If not, good luck and God bless.

Nubin had a great game considering everyone in the stadium knew he was getting it. If Galfianakis keeps it once a quarter it keeps em honest. Their QB ran all over us. Don’t get it.
Galifanakis, love that. Absolutely right you are about once a quarter keepers, appears to be open multiple times a game, drives me nuts. The sliding drives me nuts as well, very few college qbs invoke the slide and the guy that’s rated lower than a hundred other QBs should be going for yards.

Of course we must remember that he had that opportunity against Illinois to seal the game and basically ran into a tackler somehow missing the 4 yard hole to his right.

The frustrating thing is there are probably 25 backup QBs in the SEC who could come here and start from day 1. All we need is one of them.
Hell, the quarterbacks at Bemidji State and Moorehead State are a couple of studs that probably would have performed better than 8 did this year.

This. I have no idea why the Gophers went away from the RPO that was our bread and butter for a while. Give Athan the chance to make a choice and utilize short passes to let him get into a rhythm.
I just think AK is bad at making quick decisions. It appears they do run true read options at times and he reads it incorrectly quite often.

There was a play yesterday where he held the ball in the belly of Nubin pretty long. The unblocked defender he’s supposed to be reading crashed down hard and made the tackle on Nubin. AK was visibly upset with himself. Rightfully so as he runs for a good amount if he keeps it.

I’m not sure if these stats exist in college but it would be interesting to see where they ranked this year in average yards to go on 3rd down and run/pass ratio on 1st downs. AK has issues but I think they coaches don’t do him any favors either.

Hell, the quarterbacks at Bemidji State and Moorehead State are a couple of studs that probably would have performed better than 8 did this year.
You can't be serious. There's a reason they are playing there.

I just think AK is bad at making quick decisions. It appears they do run true read options at times and he reads it incorrectly quite often.

There was a play yesterday where he held the ball in the belly of Nubin pretty long. The unblocked defender he’s supposed to be reading crashed down hard and made the tackle on Nubin. AK was visibly upset with himself. Rightfully so as he runs for a good amount if he keeps it.
You're clearly not watching the same game plans I am. They are a joke. Offense plan is either the 2017 play book or from a mediocre small HS program, at best. They are not doing AK any favors, none.

Top Bottom