***OFFICIAL NEBRASKA AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

JOJ grew up some tonight....hopefully this is a sign of big things to come from him. Carrington was awesome on D against a really good player.....Hawkins has to cut down on the turnovers but he was clutch down the stretch.....Mitchell made some big buckets.....A lot to build on from this game and should really boost the confidence of the squad knowing they can compete even without Garcia.
I like Mitchell a lot. Can shoot. Plays with some fire. Even had multiple steals.

Joshua Ola-Joseph was the story of the second half to me. Robbie Hummel correctly pointed out how ridiculous it was that he only had 4 offensive rebounds all year after he skied over everybody for one in the 2nd half. Carrington did a good job on Tominaga(sp) and Payne had a couple key baskets and an offensive rebound or two in the second half.

I remember thinking in the B1G tournament that Minnesota had significantly more talent than that banged up Nebraska team that had finished the year fairly strong. The talent gap was even wider tonight. Man that Nebraska team is awful. Poor guard play other than Tominaga who is a very small shooter and their bigs all seem unathletic or small. I don't know how often we will have an advantage in the backcourt in the B1G, but we definitely did tonight.

Ihnen did not play much at all in the 2nd half should be instructive for Ben. Hope Dawson can heal up. Love that he tried to get back out there, but watching him in that stint post injury was a bit scary.

Carrington ate his lunch.
Carrington took a lot of crap on this forum last season.....but he has really improved especially on the defense and rebounding ends. His offense is still hit and miss but he is showing he belongs out there and he was phenomenal on defense tonight against a guy who can score a lot of points.

That was a fun second half. Fox provided the spark and JOJ finally let his athleticism take over. Carrington put the clamps on the kid from Japan and Hawkins added to his assist totals along with a couple of huge threes.. Mitchell showed some grit and toughness along with some key baskets and Payne was dominant in the lane. Good ball movement as well. But the D really dominated Nebby which gave the guys a chance to come back.

Did this team grow up tonight?

That was a fun second half. Fox provided the spark and JOJ finally let his athleticism take over. Carrington put the clamps on the kid from Japan and Hawkins added to his assist totals along with a couple of huge threes.. Mitchell showed some grit and toughness along with some key baskets and Payne was dominant in the lane. Good ball movement as well. But the D really dominated Nebby which gave the guys a chance to come back.

I think you've said it all.

Let's hope so. I don't need them to win a championship right now. I just want good, competitive basketball again with a fighting chance to win each contest.

Carrington, Ola-Joseph, Hawkins really played great. And you have to mention that Mitchell had 5 steals and hit some timely shots.
IMO, a lot of this was due to good coaching. Ola-Joseph is free to do the things he does well when he's playing the 4.

Carrington was the only guy playing with any life for that awful stretch and kept the game within reason.

Let's hope so. I don't need them to win a championship right now. I just want good, competitive basketball again with a fighting chance to win each contest.
When this team takes care of the basketball they have played really really well this season. Going to be ups and downs but you can finally see some signs that things are moving in the right direction. Young guys are getting better....balance on the roster is better.....tough to say how the rest of the season will go but there is at least some light at the end of the tunnel finally.

When this team takes care of the basketball they have played really really well this season. Going to be ups and downs but you can finally see some signs that things are moving in the right direction. Young guys are getting better....balance on the roster is better.....tough to say how the rest of the season will go but there is at least some light at the end of the tunnel finally.
We can also physically compete (and tonightt dominate) other Big 10 teams.

Who'd have guessed that a win would bring out some optimism?

Top Bottom