***OFFICIAL NEBRASKA AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Say what you want about Ben, but he is very articulate in a press conference. He answers questions and speaks well and provides well thought out answers.

Person from tonight I least want to be? Fred Hoiberg...I disagree they are a bad team. They melted down versus instate rival Creighton. They rebounded from that performance to go up by
15 in the first half. Then you watch your team just disintegrate right in front of you and lose by 11 to the Minnesota Gophers.
It has to be an embarrassing two game stretch. His team was so ugly the last two games. Just 5 days ago his team was 7 and 0.

Whoever said these Gophers are bi-polar is correct. Such a bad 1st half, followed by an outstanding 2nd half. If only the kids could bottle this 2nd half and keep it up.

We learned, yet again, that turnover kill, but this time it was Nebraska tossing the ball away.

This was the most energized I have seen Ben Johnson get. It was great to see him blow up when Payne's leg was grabbed and the refs called traveling. He needs to show that passion for these kids.

Ola-Joseph had his best game. His effort was contagious as the rest of the team picked it up on both ends.

Good night to watch basketball with the women gophers, twolves, and men gophers all winning.

This was Ben's best coached game of his career.

He forced himself to have proper rotations - there were very few minutes without 3 of the following 4 guys in the game (Mitchell, Hawkins, Christie, Carrington). Last year and early this year, he wanted to find ways to get guys like Ihnen, Fox, JOJ more minutes and did it by shoe-horning natural 4s at the 3. Having a healthy lineup and spacing will require him to sacrifice playing Ihnen, Fox, and/or JOJ. It's only going to get more crowded when Garcia gets healthy, but I hope CBJ keeps being disciplined and avoids the temptation of getting JOJ and Ihnen minutes out of position. He also did this in the second half of the Ohio State game.

The defensive game plan was really smart as well. You could tell Carrignton, correctly, was told to never help off of his guy. We turned them into an iso team.

The difference tonight was we played great defense in the second half. By far the best hustle I have seen from a CBJ team. Furthermore, players like JOJ, Mitchell, Hawkins and Carrington- played like they belonged in the Big Ten. Very fun to see.

Carrington took a lot of crap on this forum last season.....but he has really improved especially on the defense and rebounding ends. His offense is still hit and miss but he is showing he belongs out there and he was phenomenal on defense tonight against a guy who can score a lot of points.
The same happened to Kalsheur. Defending takes 100% energy, and it affects ur offensive shooting performance, legs tired on Fts.

This was Ben's best coached HALF of his career.

He forced himself to have proper rotations - there were very few minutes without 3 of the following 4 guys in the game (Mitchell, Hawkins, Christie, Carrington). Last year and early this year, he wanted to find ways to get guys like Ihnen, Fox, JOJ more minutes and did it by shoe-horning natural 4s at the 3. Having a healthy lineup and spacing will require him to sacrifice playing Ihnen, Fox, and/or JOJ. It's only going to get more crowded when Garcia gets healthy, but I hope CBJ keeps being disciplined and avoids the temptation of getting JOJ and Ihnen minutes out of position. He also did this in the second half of the Ohio State game.

The defensive game plan was really smart as well. You could tell Carrignton, correctly, was told to never help off of his guy. We turned them into an iso team.
FIFY

Fox and Ihnen both are going to be needed to contribute as the season goes on. To me, they need to play major minutes over the next 4 games to get back their skill after not playing for 2 years. Ihnen is better than what he’s shown these past few games and once he gets more comfortable his confidence and shot will come around. Fox can bring the energy and showed some good signs tonight.
JOJ needs to bottle that second half performance,
Actually they all do.

I remember another great athlete and finisher struggling at the 3, then they moved Rodney to the four, and we had a tourney team. JOJ hopefully has found a role.

Fox and Ihnen both are going to be needed to contribute as the season goes on. To me, they need to play major minutes over the next 4 games to get back their skill after not playing for 2 years. Ihnen is better than what he’s shown these past few games and once he gets more comfortable his confidence and shot will come around. Fox can bring the energy and showed some good signs tonight.
Actually they a

Actually they all do.
IMO, you play Garcia and Payne the majority of minutes at the 4/5 and then play Fox, Ihnen, JOJ the remaining minutes depending upon matchup, hot hand, etc.

Barring injury or a blowout, I would try to avoid playing another minute of the season without 3 of Mitchell, Hawkins, Christie or Carrington on the floor. So minutes could be a bit tougher to come by for some of our role players.

So did Ben limit Mitchell's playing time after he got called for that technical foul?

Never doubted them for a second.
We're not the worst team in the conference
We were both the worst and one of the best in the same game!

From the opening seconds of the second half, the energy was completely changed around. Someone found the switch that reversed the polarity of the device. I can't imagine what Ben said at halftime. Seriously, I can't even guess. Did he challenge their manhood? Question it? That was some of the softest defense I've ever seen in the first half, and Nebraska didn't have a chance against their buzzsaw of a defense in the second half. I'm just gobsmacked.

Top Bottom