***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PURDUE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

The encouraging thing is the effort, it’s always there.
Edey is tall, large, and slow. That’s not his fault, but it will be a hinderance at the next level, which is evident by the fact he is still playing college ball.
The technical Ben took did nothing to change the outcome of the game. Purdue had the ball anyway, and the guy hit only one free throw, then Purdue got the ball back, which they had in the first place.
What finished off the Gophers was the missed layup, followed by 2 Payne missed free throws, followed by I think that run out? That’s a bad swing.
Will be interesting to see how Edey does in the NBA. He won't have the extreme size advantage and dealing with much more athletic big men will be tough. His overall size will still give teams some trouble but won't be the factor it is in college.

I love the positivity I'm reading, but the sting of coming up short is strong.

Does anyone really think we can develop teams that actually win those games instead of come up short? I would consider things turned around if we have seasons, yes seasons, where we win the games that we almost let slip away.

It is like we finally figured out that we can drive to Disneyland, but keep missing the turnoff to get close. Someday we will actually be in Disneyland, but..... where is that turnoff?
We did this already in the comeback wins vs Nebby and NW.

They’re learning and growing as a team and winning on the road is a different summit to climb.

They will play a couple of complete games, as we win 2 of our remaining games on the road. It’s coming.

After transferring twice, and being in his home state, Garcia is the one I would think least likely to leave?

I’m thinking Christie. What NIL thieves aren’t salivating over a prospect like that?
He was the 84th player in his HS class and had significantly better offers than us out of HS; he could have pulled an sevens, but didn’t.

The Sky is not Falling

I loved it - Live action I thought Edey fouled him as well. Not much on the replay but either way, I like it.
I actually think the replay made it clear.

Payne would have landed on his feet. Edey tabletopped him with his offey Arm swing. That was substantially worse than what they called on Jack Wilson. Hummel made a stink over it being for Safety. Edey’s didn’t look like purposely did it, but he definitely did it.

I think Ben was right. They should have looked. And instead of us getting the ball and Edey a foul, they get two free throws and the ball.

A case could be made that it was Flagrant. It was definitely avoidable. It wasn’t a necessary for circumstances of the play. It caused a player in the air to land on his face, instead of feet.

He was the 84th player in his HS class and had significantly better offers than us out of HS; he could have pulled an sevens, but didn’t.

The Sky is not Falling
Also, MN doesn't have $0 NIL. I'm sure Christie is getting some $$.

Still can't get over that missed out of bounds call. If we get the ball and hit a shot, I think we would have had a good chance to win.

I actually think the replay made it clear.

Payne would have landed on his feet. Edey tabletopped him with his offey Arm swing. That was substantially worse than what they called on Jack Wilson. Hummel made a stink over it being for Safety. Edey’s didn’t look like purposely did it, but he definitely did it.

I think Ben was right. They should have looked. And instead of us getting the ball and Edey a foul, they get two free throws and the ball.

A case could be made that it was Flagrant. It was definitely avoidable. It wasn’t a necessary for circumstances of the play. It caused a player in the air to land on his face, instead of feet.
Ehhhh I don't know. Wilson's seemed like a pretty clear hook and hold to me. I only watched the Payne replay once so Idk.

Even though I was annoyed with Hummel, the Wilson play was flagrant by the rule.

The out of bounds miss was ridiculous when they handed it to Purdue in an important spot with a clear tip. Were we going to win the game? Probably not but that didn't help.

Ehhhh I don't know. Wilson's seemed like a pretty clear hook and hold to me. I only watched the Payne replay once so Idk.

Even though I was annoyed with Hummel, the Wilson play was flagrant by the rule.

The out of bounds miss was ridiculous when they handed it to Purdue in an important spot with a clear tip.
I think it was the right call on Wilson the only thing I would say to that is that it looked like both guys were hooked and neither was really trying to break free of it.

And yeah.....the out of bounds play was pretty ridiculous. Both players from the Gophers reacted instantly so that ball clearly hit the Purdue player.

Purdue made a concerted effort to really shut Cam down in the second half. He had guys draped all over him everywhere he went on the court.
Excellent coaching in the second half by Painter and the sign of a team who thinks they can always win no matter what the situation.

Last edited:

I think it was the right call on Wilson the only thing I would say to that is that it looked like both guys were hooked and neither was really trying to break free of it.
It looked to me that Edey threw his arm in there to hold Wilson off. I did not think it was an intentional hook by Wilson but he needs to make sure that he doesn't get locked up and he let that happen. You aren't going to get the benefit of the doubt against Edey.
And yeah.....the out of bounds play was pretty ridiculous. Both players from the Gophers reacted instantly so that ball clearly hit the Purdue player.
Bad call for sure.

Wasn’t able to watch the game. When was the out of bounds call? Late in the game?

The out of bounds miss was ridiculous when they handed it to Purdue in an important spot with a clear tip. Were we going to win the game? Probably not but that didn't help.
I guess I didn’t see anything live, but then the replay appeared that Edey turning around hit both his legs with his arm as he spun, and changed Payne’s trajectory so he was aimed face/chest pointing down.

I agree that Wilson’s was a foul, and flagrant by rule. It’s that Edey’s play if he indeed hit Payne as I thought was more dangerous. As Edey basically was subjected to a wresting move. Payne was going from, a jump and feet landing, to a belly flop.

I agree with it all except the scheduling comment. We could have, and should have, done better. Maybe it makes a difference in post-season, maybe not, but it could have been much better than the worst OOC SOS in high major basketball.

Yup, agree. But Christie was also shut down by Iowa in the 2nd half too.
Main reason why I hope he doesn't follow in his brothers footsteps and go pro after 1 year. He could use another year in college to improve his game. He has the ability to be a deadly shooter, if he can add a consistent drive to the basket when teams start to overplay him on the outside he will be a superstar at the college level and a very good pro prospect.

Will be interesting to see how Edey does in the NBA. He won't have the extreme size advantage and dealing with much more athletic big men will be tough. His overall size will still give teams some trouble but won't be the factor it is in college.
IMO, He will be a disappointment for whoever drafts him in the first round.

. … could have been much better than the worst OOC SOS in high major basketball.
. … in all of college basketball, not just high major. Currently #357. Only 5 worse at this moment, and at one time it was indeed the worst (#362). That's embarrassing, no matter what your expectations are for your team heading into the season.

Last edited:

Maybe end up on the Wolves and then all be cheering for him:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
giphy.gif

Top Bottom