***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PURDUE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

. … in all of college basketball, not just high major. Currently #357. Only 5 worse at this moment, and at one time it was indeed the worst (#362). That's embarrassing, no matter what your expectations are for your team heading into the season.
I had no idea it was that bad. Hard to even fathom. I’ll agree that scheduling is hard. But to be that bad, they almost had to be trying. Yuk.

IMO, He will be a disappointment for whoever drafts him in the first round.
What’s the definition of disappointment? If the expectation is a franchise player, there is no chance in today’s game. If the expectation is 10-15 minutes of defense and rim protection, I think he’ll make a nice living and might get multiple contracts.

He certainly won’t be a Pooh Richardson. 😂

What’s the definition of disappointment? If the expectation is a franchise player, there is no chance in today’s game. If the expectation is 10-15 minutes of defense and rim protection, I think he’ll make a nice living and might get multiple contracts.

I just don't like him or his game, so I'm biased admittedly. 15 minutes would be more than I'd expect, but who knows...

giphy.gif
(y)(y)(y)

IMO, He will be a disappointment for whoever drafts him in the first round.
In a different era, Zach Edey is the equivalent of Randy Breuer. He has a similar game and similar athleticism. Randy was a first round draft pick, but today you have bigs who are quick, agile, and able to shoot from 3. That is not Zach Edey.

I expect a second round pick and, perhaps, a 2 way contract. Edey could be a nice inside presence to spell a starter for 5 minutes here and there. He is not a major contributor. He's playing in the wrong era.

Will be interesting to see how Edey does in the NBA. He won't have the extreme size advantage and dealing with much more athletic big men will be tough. His overall size will still give teams some trouble but won't be the factor it is in college.
Edey will have some growing pains, but I think he will be productive In the NBA. He is similar to Randy Breuer in the 80’s, who had a decent NBA career. But I think Edey has more upside.

Your picture makes my point.
Gobert's footwork is 10x better than Edey's. He is an elite defender.
KAT can shoot from anywhere.
Edey is not even in the same room with those two.
My point was they are not almost extinct, the game has evolved and they have as well.

Ehhhh I don't know. Wilson's seemed like a pretty clear hook and hold to me. I only watched the Payne replay once so Idk.

Even though I was annoyed with Hummel, the Wilson play was flagrant by the rule.

The out of bounds miss was ridiculous when they handed it to Purdue in an important spot with a clear tip. Were we going to win the game? Probably not but that didn't help.
On the Wilson Hook and hold, Edey did it as well but the reply doesn’t show that part of the play.

Edey will have some growing pains, but I think he will be productive In the NBA. He is similar to Randy Breuer in the 80’s, who had a decent NBA career. But I think Edey has more upside.
I’m the opposite. Stellar college career, but don’t see him making an impact in the NBA
Just cannot see him playing.

Highside

I’m the opposite. Stellar college career, but don’t see him making an impact in the NBA
Just cannot see him playing.
If he can play defense he will get a second contract. Improving free throws will help too. He’s made for an era gone by but I can see him helping a team. Pretty sure he’s a good citizen too which will help getting one of the last three roster spots on a team.

Agreed, but teams will come after both. And both are needed if you want a tourney team next year. Christie IMO, at some point leaves for greener pastures(especially if the Gophers don't win fairly big). I hope we can keep him for another year possibly 2 though!
Christie is more likely to go to the NBA than leave for another school. I think a team like OKC (who owns like 18 1st round picks) or another team with late 1st round picks could draft / stash him as they see him as a smart player who has a great shot, good family pedigree, and he is incredibly young. They may take a flier and put him within their program to develop for a few years(late first round picks don’t have a ton of value for playoff laden teams).

If he can play defense he will get a second contract. Improving free throws will help too. He’s made for an era gone by but I can see him helping a team. Pretty sure he’s a good citizen too which will help getting one of the last three roster spots on a team.
Perhaps you’re correct. Guess I just envision him being beat down the floor constantly and never able to achieve position defensively.

Donovan Clingan > Zach Edey (as an NBA player).

Anyone who thought that Tim Tebow would be an above average NFL QB was a fool. But he was an amazing college QB. Different game when you go pro.

I wish Zach Edey would have taken his first college offer rather going to purdont.

Defense will be his biggest struggle. He will be isolated on pick and roll over and over again. He struggles with teams doing this in the college game.

I’ll actually root for him because he seems like a good dude and I followed his college career but I think his ceiling is the 14th player (3rd center) on a team for a handful of years,

Most likely outcome? He makes a ton of money playing in China.

Will be interesting to see how Edey does in the NBA. He won't have the extreme size advantage and dealing with much more athletic big men will be tough. His overall size will still give teams some trouble but won't be the factor it is in college.
He Weill be in the g-league at best since he won’t be able to defend at the nba level. Can you image him coming up on constant pick and rolls to guard Steph curry, or any fast guard in the NBA… he would get killed

Top Bottom