***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PURDUE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Stan

Reaction score
That Iowa game still chaps my hide. I’m pissed. It sucked. I don’t want to embrace any more suck. Well, lucky for us, we get to play at #2 Purdue in an attempt to not sustain a losing streak. Oh and we may not have our best player due to getting kicked in the balls. I guess Garcia now knows how we as collective Gopher fans feel.

Shock the world, find a way, get a program defining W.

GET ‘ER DONE JOHNSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stan the Man!!!

16pt dogs in this one...... Great opportunity for a Quad 1 win on the road. Play hard and make shots!

Go Gophers!!

(Edited from prev.)
PUR currently -16.5 (-19.5 Torvik) and expected score 83-64.
Garcia needs to play at 100% if MN wants a chance to win at PUR. Duh. Purdue does a lot of things very well, and I've spent the week looking for chinks in the armor. The bad news for MN is that PUR is #1 in BTN conf. in the following metrics:
--Offensive rebounding (Edey effect)
--Free Throw Rate, getting to the line 44.1% (Edey effect)
--Shot blocks (5.8/game) (Edey effect)
--Adjusted Offensive Efficiency (128.4!) (PUR makes 3's)
--Effective FG % (55.4%)
--TGame Rating, based on multiple analytics (93.4 average, w/o NEB loss ave. 96.4) MN BEST game of the year vs MSU had a TGameRating of 90.
--After watching Edey post low all season, I can anecdotally assure everyone out there that he has AT LEAST five 3-sec lane violations not called every game.

In efforts to build some hope for MN, the following relates to the Boilers closest games, losses, and recent form.
--Purdue is the worst team in BTN at forcing turnovers, so MN shouldn't turn it over, and each possession is precious.
--MN offense seems to be at its best playing faster than the TempoRating indicates (#223 in college bb). Perhaps MN will move the ball in efforts to take Edey out of the game. Accept a few turnovers if that's the case.
--In PUR 5 close games and losses (NW, ALA, ILL, NEB, NW) those opponents shot 48% from behind the arc (65-135).
--NEB was 14-23 (61%) from 3, EFG% 63.2%, and NW EFG%=68.2%.
--In Purdue's last 7 games, they have jacked 138 3's while shooting 37% which is good, but Wisconsin and Rutgers held them to 3-11, 5-19 respectively. In that span of last 7 games, MN has only allowed 117 threes with teams making 35%.
--MN has a conf. TGame Rating average of 70, but in the last 4 games have an 87.5 rating, which approaches PUR season ave of 93.4.
--PUR defense has shown they can take nights off, and they allow a VERY high opponent FG% near the basket-63% for the season. (MN 52.5% allowed in that category).
--MN is solid shooting and defending 2PFGs, and the Gopher EFG% (54.4%), EFG%D (47.6%) are superior for their #82 TRank as a team.
--Will Jack "Thor" Wilson be able to get meaningful minutes bodying up w/Edey, and will the BTN refs allow such a thing? I won't hold my breath on that.
--Despite seemingly overwhelming odds against MN in this game, Gopher game plan can't be "business as usual". MN has to do something to throw off the scouting report. Fairleigh Dickinson was able to do it with a smaller lineup holding PUR to 58 pts. last March. Intangible also is PUR seems to always choke.
--I'm doubt that PUR is as physically tough as MN, and if it comes down to a rock fight it favors the Gophers. Smith/Jones/Loyer (aka "Thomas the Tank Engine") aren't that physical, more spot shooters.

MN needs to play the game of the year on both sides of the ball for 40 minutes, unless PUR plays worse than their previous 8 games. Study films of NW/NEB games, make shots, and push Edey out.
Think Christmas Day, 2020 beating #4 Iowa, or Feb. 26, 2013 taking down #1 Indiana.

Go Gophers!

Only chance we have is if we shoot the ball like we did in the first half against Iowa for the entire game.

But assuming Garcia doesn't play.....yeah.....this one could definitely get ugly.
I would say how fast will it get ugly? That's the gist of what we're dealing with. I hope this team can hang tough.

(Edited from prev.)
PUR currently -16.5 (-19.5 Torvik) and expected score 83-64.
Garcia needs to play at 100% if MN wants a chance to win at PUR. Duh. Purdue does a lot of things very well, and I've spent the week looking for chinks in the armor. The bad news for MN is that PUR is #1 in BTN conf. in the following metrics:
--Offensive rebounding (Edey effect)
--Free Throw Rate, getting to the line 44.1% (Edey effect)
--Shot blocks (5.8/game) (Edey effect)
--Adjusted Offensive Efficiency (128.4!) (PUR makes 3's)
--Effective FG % (55.4%)
--TGame Rating, based on multiple analytics (93.4 average, w/o NEB loss ave. 96.4) MN BEST game of the year vs MSU had a TGameRating of 90.
--After watching Edey post low all season, I can anecdotally assure everyone out there that he has AT LEAST five 3-sec lane violations not called every game.

In efforts to build some hope for MN, the following relates to the Boilers closest games, losses, and recent form.
--Purdue is the worst team in BTN at forcing turnovers, so MN shouldn't turn it over, and each possession is precious.
--MN offense seems to be at its best playing faster than the TempoRating indicates (#223 in college bb). Perhaps MN will move the ball in efforts to take Edey out of the game. Accept a few turnovers if that's the case.
--In PUR 5 close games and losses (NW, ALA, ILL, NEB, NW) those opponents shot 48% from behind the arc (65-135).
--NEB was 14-23 (61%) from 3, EFG% 63.2%, and NW EFG%=68.2%.
--In Purdue's last 7 games, they have jacked 138 3's while shooting 37% which is good, but Wisconsin and Rutgers held them to 3-11, 5-19 respectively. In that span of last 7 games, MN has only allowed 117 threes with teams making 35%.
--MN has a conf. TGame Rating average of 70, but in the last 4 games have an 87.5 rating, which approaches PUR season ave of 93.4.
--PUR defense has shown they can take nights off, and they allow a VERY high opponent FG% near the basket-63% for the season. (MN 52.5% allowed in that category).
--MN is solid shooting and defending 2PFGs, and the Gopher EFG% (54.4%), EFG%D (47.6%) are superior for their #82 TRank as a team.
--Will Jack "Thor" Wilson be able to get meaningful minutes bodying up w/Edey, and will the BTN refs allow such a thing? I won't hold my breath on that.
--Despite seemingly overwhelming odds against MN in this game, Gopher game plan can't be "business as usual". MN has to do something to throw off the scouting report. Fairleigh Dickinson was able to do it with a smaller lineup holding PUR to 58 pts. last March. Intangible also is PUR seems to always choke.
--I'm doubt that PUR is as physically tough as MN, and if it comes down to a rock fight it favors the Gophers. Smith/Jones/Loyer (aka "Thomas the Tank Engine") aren't that physical, more spot shooters.

MN needs to play the game of the year on both sides of the ball for 40 minutes, unless PUR plays worse than their previous 8 games. Study films of NW/NEB games, make shots, and push Edey out.
Think Christmas Day, 2020 beating #4 Iowa, or Feb. 26, 2013 taking down #1 Indiana.

Go Gophers!
Excellent post/info and your moniker should be Unanimous Decision 🥊.

I especially appreciate your 3 sec/lane commentary; I was yelling at the refs when we played MD (regarding Welch) & Iowa (regarding Freeman). I get not calling it in the pros, but it creates such an unfair advantage for the O and they have enough already.

Last edited:

Only chance we have is if we shoot the ball like we did in the first half against Iowa for the entire game.

But assuming Garcia doesn't play.....yeah.....this one could definitely get ugly.
It would need to be combined with our big men staying out of foul trouble which seems to be an even greater ask these days.

Excellent post/info and your moniker should be Unanimous Decision 🥊.

I especially appreciate your 3 sec/lane commentary; I was yelling at the refs when we played MD (regarding Welch) & Iowa (regarding Freeman). I get not calling it in the pros, but it creates such an unfair advantage for the O and they have enough already.
Sometimes I’m right, sometimes I’m wrong, but I’m always in doubt.

I was a huge fan of Glenn “Big Dog” Robinson and Robert “Tractor” Traylor as a kid. They got me into hoops. Have a family connection to both schools as well.

That nonsense aside, and I dunno why, but I think the Gophers win tonight. Thought that at 5:30am when my son woke me up to play Spiderman. Thought that after having caffeine. Still think that. Prove me right, Gophers

I was a huge fan of Glenn “Big Dog” Robinson and Robert “Tractor” Traylor as a kid. They got me into hoops. Have a family connection to both schools as well.

That nonsense aside, and I dunno why, but I think the Gophers win tonight. Thought that at 5:30am when my son woke me up to play Spiderman. Thought that after having caffeine. Still think that. Prove me right, Gophers
Any alcohol involved? 🤔

Spider senses tingling!!!!

Well, since I still have a subscription to Peacock, I'm going to watch Caitlin Clark set the all-time NCAA scoring record.

Top Bottom