***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT ILLINOIS IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I don't understand why the home team getting more calls their way is accepted.

The rules don't say anything about different rules for the home team and away team. If the refs can't call it both ways they shouldn't be employed.

If the Big 10 wants to be a major conference they need to find refs who can call the game fairly. Bad calls are a part of the game but when the calls consistently go one way that shouldn't be accepted.

Clem would have been out of his jacket long ago and gotten a T tonight.
Honestly Pitino seemed to be more fiery in the past (remember the jokes about him throwing his coat and things). Seems more reserved now. Really think he's hurting himself and his guys. Guys like Izzo and formerly Ryan and Boeheim always got the calls because they knew how to work the refs. None of these guys are afraid of Pitino

I don't understand why the home team getting more calls their way is accepted.

The rules don't say anything about different rules for the home team and away team. If the refs can't call it both ways they shouldn't be employed.

If the Big 10 wants to be a major conference they need to find refs who can call the game fairly. Bad calls are a part of the game but when the calls consistently go one way that shouldn't be accepted.
I do think it effects B1G teams in the tournament.

Honestly Pitino seemed to be more fiery in the past (remember the jokes about him throwing his coat and things). Seems more reserved now. Really think he's hurting himself and his guys. Guys like Izzo and formerly Ryan and Boeheim always got the calls because they knew how to work the refs. None of these guys are afraid of Pitino
I agree. You have to work the refs in the B1G. I feel like Tubby never got that, thinking the "stare" was enough, and Pitino doesn't either. We're not Kentucky.

I loved how Williams played tonight, his defense is solid but he needs to learn to finish. Too often he misses layups, he seems in too much of a hurry.

We didn't lose because of the refs. We lost because of too little firepower from the backcourt and wings. Their guards/wings had 35 points. Ours had 18. The team played very hard but they just aren't as effective or efficient on the offensive end.

Do yo do live comedy routines? You are a natural
I honestly don't understand how anyone prefers to watch this instead of trying to get better. Recruiting is modest and shows no signs of getting better. The team is always short on talent. Coaching? Bad to worse. When's the last time a Gopher team put together back to back games where they looked like the better coached, better prepared team? Ran an offense that consistently got open looks?

Thank heaven the AD had the courage and wisdom to can Claeys, or we'd have the same crap in football. Now do the same for the basketball team, please. There is zero upside to waiting.

You’re right but bad refs are bad both ways. It isn’t one sided as these in game threads make it out to be against the Gophers.
Over the night it was about 55/45 in favor of Illinois. Not a lot but enough to make a difference.

In the last few minutes it was almost all in favor of Illinois.

The Gophers would have won if they had even a decent first half on offense but even with their poor first half, they would have had a good shot at winning if the calls in the last few minutes were better. If they called those two charges it's a completely different game.

I keep waiting for the 3's to start dropping...woof. What gives? Solid defense but can't buy a dadgum basket! Can Greenlee shoot? Somebody has to be able to make some threes on this team.

Over the night it was about 55/45 in favor of Illinois. Not a lot but enough to make a difference.

In the last few minutes it was almost all in favor of Illinois.

The Gophers would have won if they had even a decent first half on offense but even with their poor first half, they would have had a good shot at winning if the calls in the last few minutes were better. If they called those two charges it's a completely different game.
I disagree those were charges.
Though the Demir one should have been a no call or a travel. That one call did change the outcome of the game.

On a good note. Gophers D was real good for 38.5 minutes. Held IL to 59... they average 75.4 per game

I honestly don't understand how anyone prefers to watch this instead of trying to get better. Recruiting is modest and shows no signs of getting better. The team is always short on talent. Coaching? Bad to worse. When's the last time a Gopher team put together back to back games where they looked like the better coached, better prepared team? Ran an offense that consistently got open looks?

Thank heaven the AD had the courage and wisdom to can Claeys, or we'd have the same crap in football. Now do the same for the basketball team, please. There is zero upside to waiting.

Agree 100%. 7 years in and same old crap. We are 6 points down starting most B10 games on coaching matchup- that includes working refs, something Lil' Ricky doesn't know how to do.

We didn't lose because of the refs. We lost because of too little firepower from the backcourt and wings. Their guards/wings had 35 points. Ours had 18. The team played very hard but they just aren't as effective or efficient on the offensive end.
We almost won a tough road game despite poor shooting. The refs took the chance away in the last 3 minutes.

Are you still calling for the regime change during the 8 day break in February?
I'm indifferent to a mid-season coaching change at this point. They're playing hard if nothing else. But if they lose the next two before that break, the tournament hopes are close to dead. Wisconsin game is massive.

Hahahahahahaa

Great effort. This team just has to make more shots. Tough night for Carr, and missed layups by Hurt, Greenlee, Carr and Gabe along with the atrocious outside shooting- yet they were right there with 1:30 to go against a terrific team on their floor. We are going to have a run yet. I still like our chances.

Takeaways from tonight:
Ihnen needs to be a rotation player going forward- just go with it coach
Williams is a tough player
I think Willis needs to be a 6th man. Our two road games without him- we have played tough with him Williams in there. We need scoring off the bench and someone to spell the guards- it should be him.
Demir needs to stick to the paint. He is slick in there and his 3 point shooting is....not good.
Gabe needs to keep shooting but he is forcing some bad shots- he shot a couple of heavily guarded ones that were not needed
Oturu- hang in there buddy, your teammates will come along. But in the meantime- just play -don't whine. Let he coaches whine.

I thought he got Demir on the arm there? Did he?
Not even close. Fans watch the same thing but see something different. Sure they miss calls but overall i thought it was even.

Agree 100%. 7 years in and same old crap. We are 6 points down starting most B10 games on coaching matchup- that includes working refs, something Lil' Ricky doesn't know how to do.
Pitino outcoached Illinois coach tonight. He didn't get the calls and guys didn't make the plays. We played tough.

Top Bottom