***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT ILLINOIS IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Coaching is not all about Offense. He coached a great Defensive game....cant deny it. Your pointing out 1 play. They missed open shots.. simple.
I think the staff did a great job on scouting, prep and plan. Players have to hit shots. I really enjoyed how hard fought this was and the crowd was electric. The intensity was there, no one was bothered by the low scoring.

Pitino needs to go is also accurate.

11-10 and yet another losing conference record.......can't shoot, no bench

Geezez!

I'm not sure I could disagree with this more. Pitino had this team in position to win the game after being down 13 in the second half. They shot under 20 percent from the perimeter for the 2nd straight game. He can't make the shots for them. They shot 28 percent against Michigan State, and 31 percent tonight.

His job is to put the players in positions to be successful. He is, and they're not making shots. It's that simple. Gabe Kalscheur, other than 3 games heading into tonight, has largely been awful in Big Ten play. He's getting open looks too, so that's really frustrating.

You still have 5 home games left, and winnable games at Indiana and Northwestern. Win those 7 and you get to 12 conference wins, a lock for the NCAA Tournament.

Find one single post of mine ever complaining about officiating after a Badger loss or a UVA loss. UVA ones should be easy because they went 66-5 the last two seasons. This year they lost 6 and not ounce would i ever whine about officiating,suspensions, transfers etc..

But with your little buddy Tony being such a man of faith, how do you reconcile looking the other way while your boy Bo carried on an affair for years?

They do play good defense for the most part. They need some help on the boards. I just can’t figure Gabe out. His form doesn’t look bad, it’s just got to be in his head. When someone is having a bad game, no one seems to step up.

I was happy with the minutes Ihnen gave us tonight. Seems like he was a + when he was in the game. He has a lot of upside and I am waiting for his breakout moment.
Greenlee had three bad decisions in a row during the 2nd half when Cockburn was out and Carr was on the bench. That was our opportunity to take advantage and we blew that opportunity.

But with your little buddy Tony being such a man of faith, how do you reconcile looking the other way while your boy Bo carried on an affair for years?
Bo was never my guy but that does not stop me from knowing what a great coach he was. How do you reconcile Pitino being a good guy with the nefarious trash permeated by his father ?

We would not be top 10 if all the other teams could bring back players that left early, did not have injuries.

Not all other teams have a fanbase actively trying to scalp their head coach. He was a 50/50 away from having an excellent team. Coffey didn't seem likely. He didn't even get drafted. Curry would be a huge factor if not for another SEASON ending injury. I get that injuries happen. Curry is cursed.

Pull your head out of Tony Bennett's a$$.

They do play good defense for the most part. They need some help on the boards. I just can’t figure Gabe out. His form doesn’t look bad, it’s just got to be in his head. When someone is having a bad game, no one seems to step up.
I don't think I can ever recall a shooter this good go this bad, for so long. 21.6% in Big Ten play. If he is shooting 40% like he is capable, we have at least two more wins. I feel bad for him but he IS going to get hot. He needs to play less minutes though, some other players need to step up and help him.

Not a bad loss on paper, but an ugly game to watch. My biggest concern is that "bad" Marcus Carr has been back in a big way: 3-14 against MSU and 3-12 tonight against Illinois. I believe Marcus took shots on the Gophers first 3 possessions of the game with 2 of them (might have only been 1) being a no pass possession. The loss isn't on Marcus, but it would be nice to see a little more ball movement at times and a more concerted effort to play through Daniel when the team isn't scoring.

I have Gabe at 16-74 (21.6%) from 3 through 11 conference games. He's only shot above 40% once (3-7 at tOSU) in conference play. Was it one or two of those makes that were banked in at Purdue?

Winning the home games and winning at Northwestern is still all that is (likely) needed.

I didnt watch much of the game but a few comments. Part of coaching in college is recruiting, we simply dont have the horses to compete in every Big Ten game, MN kids or not, we simply need more talent on the floor.
The other thing, I generally hate saying "if only X would have stayed or Y wouldnt have gotten hurt we would have been amazing!" People realize that's at like 80% of places right? Iowas ranked, they lost a huge piece to injury, one to the draft and one transfer to Kansas, they didnt crumble. Seton Hall lost their best big man early to injury, they're still a top 10 team
Again that's part of coaching in college, it's on Pitino if he only has 3 guys he trusts or can play at this level. To reiterate. I'm not commenting on this game in particular
as i didnt see enough to know just making general statements.

He is not his father. Nice try though. Bo is Bo and Bo was Wisconsin.
How do i reconcile what then since Bo is not my guy, just a great coach. I know very well that Pitino is not his dad and respect his dad only for basketball teaching ability. His son. i respect as a being a decent person which is ultimately more important than coaching but he is a long way from being considered a great coach. This came up because , once again someone spoke for me calling Bo my guy. Numerous posts over the years by me stating that i never liked Bo Ryan as a person, know a lot about him. But i can see what a great coach he was, highest winning % in conference history is a incredible achievement and he recruited clean. Master teacher.

I don't think I can ever recall a shooter this good go this bad, for so long. 21.6% in Big Ten play. If he is shooting 40% like he is capable, we have at least two more wins. I feel bad for him but he IS going to get hot. He needs to play less minutes though, some other players need to step up and help him.
maybe a shooter really isnt "this good" if he is "this bad, for so long."

I think he will come out of it. It means he will have to keep shooting and that can be painful for fans but he is too good of a shooter to not come out of a slump. I have seen it before with other good shooters.

Agree 100%. 7 years in and same old crap. We are 6 points down starting most B10 games on coaching matchup- that includes working refs, something Lil' Ricky doesn't know how to do.
Stop whining, less.

Not a bad loss on paper, but an ugly game to watch. My biggest concern is that "bad" Marcus Carr has been back in a big way: 3-14 against MSU and 3-12 tonight against Illinois. I believe Marcus took shots on the Gophers first 3 possessions of the game with 2 of them (might have only been 1) being a no pass possession. The loss isn't on Marcus, but it would be nice to see a little more ball movement at times and a more concerted effort to play through Daniel when the team isn't scoring.

I have Gabe at 16-74 (21.6%) from 3 through 11 conference games. He's only shot above 40% once (3-7 at tOSU) in conference play. Was it one or two of those makes that were banked in at Purdue?

Winning the home games and winning at Northwestern is still all that is (likely) needed.
Bad Marcus and "bad Gabe" are linked. When there's no flow--when you don't know when, where, how or if you are going to see the ball--it's hard to be in rhythm as an outside shooter. Last year's team wasn't a passing machine either, but it was better than this year's team. Carr remains ball dominant and Oturu hasn't learned how to pass yet. Carr picks up a ton of assists because the ball is always in his hands and Oturu is an accurate shooter.

It's an easy team to defend. Carr doesn't pass until he has to; Oturu gets doubled and doesn't pass out; no backdoor cuts; rotate on perimeter shooters.

I didnt watch much of the game but a few comments. Part of coaching in college is recruiting, we simply dont have the horses to compete in every Big Ten game, MN kids or not, we simply need more talent on the floor.
The other thing, I generally hate saying "if only X would have stayed or Y wouldnt have gotten hurt we would have been amazing!" People realize that's at like 80% of places right? Iowas ranked, they lost a huge piece to injury, one to the draft and one transfer to Kansas, they didnt crumble. Seton Hall lost their best big man early to injury, they're still a top 10 team
Again that's part of coaching in college, it's on Pitino if he only has 3 guys he trusts or can play at this level. To reiterate. I'm not commenting on this game in particular

Well said! Iowa has only 8 healthy scholarship players but they didn't crumble. The whole "if only this happened, we'd be great" is incredibly tiring. Making excuses like this might not be so bad if it didn't happen season after season. For the last five years, lack of quality depth has killed this team (even the best team of the bunch at the end of its season); it's a perennial problem. Having a couple of very good players on a team isn't enough. You have to recruit and/or develop some level of quality depth. Pitino hasn't shown that he can do either.

The opposing teams have seen that Carr is the difference. If he can be stopped the MN offense is dependent on the big guy. Double him and bounce him around a bit and he is prone to lose his temper and concentration.
I do not think WI has anyone that can guard Carr or intimidate Oturo.

They still needed to score. What makes you think they could do that? They get the ball on an inbounds with 35 seconds left and get surprised by full court pressure....leading to wasting 10 seconds getting the ball across mid court. Miss a three, but a free timeout while the refs reviewed an OB call after a missed, contested 3...and the best they could do was a contested off balance three from Ihnen.

They're poorly coached.

And offensively challenged.

That's the problem, not a call or two.
That's exactly why you pressure in that spot, to make minnesota take time off the clock. Most teams down the stretch usually waste 20 seconds on the clock before they get into their offense so what's the big deal, we still had 20 seconds to work with.

That's exactly why you pressure in that spot, to make minnesota take time off the clock. Most teams down the stretch usually waste 20 seconds on the clock before they get into their offense so what's the big deal, we still had 20 seconds to work with.
So it's almost like Pitino might have anticipated that, and had his team prepared, so as not to let the other team force the time off the clock.

Sheesh. You're making my point for me.

And the "big deal?" The "big deal" is that they were down multiple possessions and "time" was a pretty valuable resource at that point. Good lord.

sorry if its already been talked about. But didn't catch the game. How did Ihnen look with extended playing time? I see from the box score that he shot on par with the rest of team

sorry if its already been talked about. But didn't catch the game. How did Ihnen look with extended playing time? I see from the box score that he shot on par with the rest of team

he did some good things; didn't look too lost. Made a 3 and got some boards. Definitely not a dropoff, and probably and upgrade over Omersa/Hurt. No reason not to give him more minutes going forward.
He's not afraid to shoot- took a a couple ill-advised 3's early in shotclock.

You're right, he's only been a high level shooter for 4 years of high school ball and one year of college. So one year he is struggling means he's just awful...

he did some good things; didn't look too lost. Made a 3 and got some boards. Definitely not a dropoff, and probably and upgrade over Omersa/Hurt. No reason not to give him more minutes going forward.
He's not afraid to shoot- took a a couple ill-advised 3's early in shotclock.

I thought he gave good effort on the Defensive end and is getting better for sure. Definitely an upgrade over Hurt. Not ready to say he should take Omersa's minutes. I think they can both play at the same time as well. Would be interesting to see if you could go some time with Oturo, Demir, and Ihnen where he could play some more wing minutes? Not sure yet, but would allow guys like Gabe and Marcus to get some rest once Willis comes back.

Gabe is a great shooter who just happens to be in a very bad slump. His form is great and his stroke is pure he will come out of it hopefully sooner rather than later. And as mentioned earlier if his minutes were cut to 25 to 30 I think it would help him out but this team can’t afford to allow him to sit that long.

There's always exceptions but generally when teams lose key pieces, it hurts them. Look at Ohio St this year. A few years ago Duke lost Jefferson for the year and went from top 5 to unranked in 2 months.

So it's almost like Pitino might have anticipated that, and had his team prepared, so as not to let the other team force the time off the clock.

Sheesh. You're making my point for me.

And the "big deal?" The "big deal" is that they were down multiple possessions and "time" was a pretty valuable resource at that point. Good lord.
Yes you are right. I was thinking more time on clock with only being down 1 possession.

After everything is said and done, I'm just so tired of mediocrity. We never get over the hump. We peeked over it a couple years ago, and while it was nice to see, here we are back to where we usually are. I've stated before that I like Pitino, but just dont think he has the chops to deliver consistant, winning basketball. There's something missing. After this many years here, there should be a style or personality to your team you can hang your hat on to fans and recruits and I don't see it. Maybe I'm missing something but don't think so.

Top Bottom