Mutaf to transfer

Justin Cobbs was really good for Cal. Had a solid freshman year here. That’s the first guy I think of.

If I recall, Justin had some personal issues that were involved in his transfer and it wasn't completely basketball related. He was a good player for us and an outstanding one for Cal.

The UMN will admit any athlete that meets the NCAA's minimum requirements for DI eligibility, if the coaches tells them to do so.

You'll never convince me otherwise. Because our student body is so large, it doesn't matter frankly if we admit 100 per year that need remedial courses. It just doesn't dent the overall class's stats.

Rather, I will wild guess that admissions can be used as a tool by coaching staffs to have an excuse for why a particular player can't come here, when they deem they need to pull that lever.

Really cynical and an indictment not just against athletics but the whole university. Admitting someone who doesn't qualify and doesn't have the desire, ability, or preparation to succeed at the U is not only bad for the teams (messed up rosters, etc. if academic minimums aren't met), but also the student who isn't getting the education he or she deserves.

I've been on the edge of admissions processes at a university and sometimes you need to advocate for a potential student because there is untapped potential, a backstory that is not reflected in objective admissions standards, and they are entering a system that will provide them more structure to succeed in college than they had in high school. We were 100% in seven years when we got borderline students admitted. All of them over performed their admission profile. Some of them substantially.

The U will never make public that kind of data, but I think you are just wrong believing that admissions people will just do whatever a coach asks, no matter what. Not at this university. Advocating for a borderline student is not systemic corruption in admissions, which is more likely what athletics does when necessary.

Mutaf is averaging more PPG than Isaiah Ihnen and Tre Williams.

Mutaf might have had the highest points per minute average in the conference since he had 10 points and only played about 9 minutes.

The UMN will admit any athlete that meets the NCAA's minimum requirements for DI eligibility, if the coaches tells them to do so.

This is mostly true at many institutions. Not all coaches/programs choose to utilize it though. Do you know if Pitino does?

You'll never convince me otherwise. Because our student body is so large, it doesn't matter frankly if we admit 100 per year that need remedial courses. It just doesn't dent the overall class's stats.

Rather, I will wild guess that admissions can be used as a tool by coaching staffs to have an excuse for why a particular player can't come here, when they deem they need to pull that lever.

Or for motivation for a kid to graduate and retake ACT's to get higher scores. We've recently seen kids greyshirt with Fleck and decommit in the football program because of not gaining admittance IIRC.

Really cynical and an indictment not just against athletics but the whole university. Admitting someone who doesn't qualify and doesn't have the desire, ability, or preparation to succeed at the U is not only bad for the teams (messed up rosters, etc. if academic minimums aren't met), but also the student who isn't getting the education he or she deserves.

I've been on the edge of admissions processes at a university and sometimes you need to advocate for a potential student because there is untapped potential, a backstory that is not reflected in objective admissions standards, and they are entering a system that will provide them more structure to succeed in college than they had in high school. We were 100% in seven years when we got borderline students admitted. All of them over performed their admission profile. Some of them substantially.

The U will never make public that kind of data, but I think you are just wrong believing that admissions people will just do whatever a coach asks, no matter what. Not at this university. Advocating for a borderline student is not systemic corruption in admissions, which is more likely what athletics does when necessary.
I appreciate your post and obvious passion for students. I simply don't believe that Fleck or Pitino can't get anyone admitted that they want.

You're telling me that if Chet decided to come here, met the NCAA's DI minimum, but was 30% below the average incoming class, that admissions would say "nope, sorry"?

Zero chance.

There is just very little loss for a school as large as our, as opposed to the potential upside in athletic team performance, to not admit them.

This is mostly true at many institutions. Not all coaches/programs choose to utilize it though. Do you know if Pitino does?
Do you know that he would've needed to on any particular recruit? Maybe he hasn't needed to. That doesn't prove he wouldn't.

Or for motivation for a kid to graduate and retake ACT's to get higher scores. We've recently seen kids greyshirt with Fleck and decommit in the football program because of not gaining admittance IIRC.
Off the top of my head, I can only think of the receiver in the 2000 class. Zero chance he was the worst student by gpa/test scores in that class. Zero chance. I think Fleck used admissions as an "excuse" for why he "had to" gray shirt, and the reason had more to do with scholarship numbers and the 25 limit per class than anything. Wild, wild guess with no proof.

Do you know that he would've needed to on any particular recruit? Maybe he hasn't needed to. That doesn't prove he wouldn't.
It was well enough known that it was an obstacle. A poster literally just used a conversation with his family as an ex of some proof. I think Pitino and PJ both don't ask for waivers in the admission process for the most part. Thought either Ryan James and Burns mentioned that in a podcast awhile back.

It was well enough known that it was an obstacle. A poster literally just used a conversation with his family as an ex of some proof. I think Pitino and PJ both don't ask for waivers in the admission process for the most part. Thought either Ryan James and Burns mentioned that in a podcast awhile back.
Maybe they don't. If so, fine.

That doesn't disprove my assertion that they could get anyone in. And maybe there just hasn't been as important enough of a recruit to do so, yet.

Also for your consideration: the NCAA allows such a thing as an "academic redshirt". See: http://www.ncaa.org/student-athlete...ification-different-competition-certification

It's known factually that Gophers football has had such players, since the rule too effect. That means those players did not even meet the NCAA's minimum requirements, yet the UMN admitted those students, and you claim without any intervention or advocacy on behalf of the player from anyone on the staff? Hmmmmm.....

So either the staff does advocate, or the UMN admissions office suddenly decides to become selective.

Pitino just saying now mutaf left because of playing time. Talked about how difficult it is now to keep kids happy who arent playing. Interesting he said that Martice Mitchell has the best chance of anyone on the team to play at the next level.

5 pages dedicated to an out of shape freshman from Turkey.

Imagine how long this would be if the team wasn't 10-2.

Out of shape freshman PHENOM from Turkey who had more scoring ability than any gopher player in team history, was elite in every aspect but the coach didn't give him a chance...or so I've read

Out of shape freshman PHENOM from Turkey who had more scoring ability than any gopher player in team history, was elite in every aspect but the coach didn't give him a chance...or so I've read

Could have been the next Mike Hurt.

He was the second coming of Steve Esselink.

I am guessing that Washington knew that as much as he had trouble getting PT beforehand, with Carr lined up the situation would not improve in his favor.

Washington is a skilled player, but is booby soft & was not cut out for the B1G. It doesn't surprise me one bit that he's having success at Long Beach St. That seems like a perfect fit.

Last edited:

All freshman come in with potential. It is up to the player to develop it into playing time and a spot on the roster. Not all of them will put in the appropriate amount of effort, develop the right skillsets or live up to that potential. The U is a B1G program, it can't wait for players to catch up. It has to reload and move on. Unfortunately, that means we will have players transfer out of the program. It is just part of the meat grinder that is D1 college sports.

Justin Cobbs was really good for Cal. Had a solid freshman year here. That’s the first guy I think of.
Cobbs, Devoe, Royce and Iverson all were really good after they left. We could have had an amazing team with those 4 along with Mbakwe, Rodney, Sampson and freshman Andre and freshman Coleman.

PG: Cobbs, Andre
SG: Devoe, Austin
SF: Royce, Coleman
PF: Mbakwe, Rodney
C: Iverson, Sampson III

Thats 4 all conference guys plus two double digit scorers in Sampson and Rodney and 3 solid backups in Coleman, Austin and Andre.

Um...yeah? Is that sarcasm?

Scenic mountains, hiking trails, gorgeous active women of all ages, great dining options...etc.

Haha honestly can't tell if that's sarcasm or somebody who has never been out of Minnesota. Way better weather than Minneapolis too. Boulder is fantastic.

All freshman come in with potential. It is up to the player to develop it into playing time and a spot on the roster. Not all of them will put in the appropriate amount of effort, develop the right skillsets or live up to that potential. The U is a B1G program, it can't wait for players to catch up. It has to reload and move on. Unfortunately, that means we will have players transfer out of the program. It is just part of the meat grinder that is D1 college sports.
And part of that is in the evaluation scouting of intangibles. It is very hard to do projections, nobody hits them all but some are of course better at in then others. Often hard to know for sure how hard each person will work, how good they actually are. One of my favorite things about seeing prospects and projecting how good they will become and then seeing how good they became.

And part of that is in the evaluation scouting of intangibles. It is very hard to do projections, nobody hits them all but some are of course better at in then others. Often hard to know for sure how hard each person will work, how good they actually are. One of my favorite things about seeing prospects and projecting how good they will become and then seeing how good they became.
I think more importantly how do they get along with along with a new Coaching Staff who expects a lot more from you.

I appreciate your post and obvious passion for students. I simply don't believe that Fleck or Pitino can't get anyone admitted that they want.

You're telling me that if Chet decided to come here, met the NCAA's DI minimum, but was 30% below the average incoming class, that admissions would say "nope, sorry"?

Zero chance.

There is just very little loss for a school as large as our, as opposed to the potential upside in athletic team performance, to not admit them.
Jeff Jones actually didn’t even meet the NCAA’s minimum GPA-ACT sliding scale eligibility requirements and Kill got him in anyways. Not trying to discredit Holy Man’s point though as I think he has a point.

On the flip side, Gaston Diedhou didn’t get in initially and he had to wait a semester before he was admitted due to his English proficiency.

Jeff Jones actually didn’t even meet the NCAA’s minimum GPA-ACT sliding scale eligibility requirements and Kill got him in anyways. Not trying to discredit Holy Man’s point though as I think he has a point.

On the flip side, Gaston Diedhou didn’t get in initially and he had to wait a semester before he was admitted due to his English proficiency.
I can name 4 basketball players in the last 8 years who i knew could not get in elsewhere that got in here. What good would it do to name them. Their are coaches that do not even want players that are not serious students and they are at schools that do not have agricultural recreation. The prooof is what they do after basketball. Some of these programs have many ex players with advanced degrees that have become scientists, doctors,lawyers.

I think more importantly how do they get along with along with a new Coaching Staff who expects a lot more from you.
That is part of the evaluation, the intangibles and the honesty in which they are offered, not seduced.

Washington is a skilled player, but is booby soft & was not cut out for the B1G. It doesn't surprise me one bit that he's having success at Long Beach St. That seems like a perfect fit.

He was a good (and willing) passer and an excellent ball handler. He was a poor shooter and not a particularly good finisher. He was a good rebounder for his size. Although he was not so good on defense, I don't think he was quite as bad as some people around here made him out to be. Carr isn't so great on defense either but he's a legit star in other facets of the game.

Top Bottom