Mutaf to transfer

And living in Boulder is good??

Yeah, when you're in college it's pretty fantastic. LOTS cute girls from the coasts and the Midwest. Amazing setting right at the base of the mountains with tons of access to outdoors activities. Also a solid party scene.

I had a great time finishing my bachelor's there after transferring from the U. Back in the late 90s, Boulder and the U were miles apart socially.

Pitino just saying now mutaf left because of playing time. Talked about how difficult it is now to keep kids happy who arent playing. Interesting he said that Martice Mitchell has the best chance of anyone on the team to play at the next level.

I wish Pitino could have found spot minutes for him to keep him on board. I get that he was likely a major liability on defense but a good coach can find spot minute for a shooter, especially on a team that cant shoot. Could have given the team a boost.

I point you to D'angelo Russell. He is an entertainer and scorer. When he is on the court the Wolves are -22 against opponents. That means the other team beats the sh!t out of the Wolves when Russell is on the court. My question for you is simple. Do you want to be entertained or do you want to win?
Well, it’s half of my argument....why recruit him if you are not able to defensively minimize his weakness? Maybe you have a zone defense package they can excel in, maybe you see matchups from opponents in your scheme they can defend In? If you don’t have a vision and a plan to utilize their strengths and minimize their inabilities then yes...they are a liability...why trade for or recruit them? It’s my point.

Well, it’s half of my argument....why recruit him if you are not able to defensively minimize his weakness? Maybe you have a zone defense package they can excel in, maybe you see matchups from opponents in your scheme they can defend In? If you don’t have a vision and a plan to utilize their strengths and minimize their inabilities then yes...they are a liability...why trade for or recruit them? It’s my point.
In the situation with Mutaf, we're talking about an unproven kid from across the pond who comes to UMN late and can't break in to the lineup. He has had every practice to make it hard for coach to keep him on the bench. Do you think Pitino and all his assistants incorrectly evaluated Mutaf over the 3 months of practice? Remember, Mutaf was playing against kids who are lower in skills than what the B1G provides. It seems that Mutaf isn't a patient person and wasn't willing to be the understudy. That's his prerogative. I hope he finds that spot where he can be the immediate player. It likely won't be at a major US university.

There is a belief in many coaching circles that you can teach a kid to defend and be serviceable. Ihnen is proof that you can although he came in better defensively than Mutaf just due to being longer and a little more twitchy. This staff took Mutaf late and maybe had hopes they could fix that part. I think Richards been very good at spring recruiting all things considered, but it's just not my favorite way. It also leads to the turnover we continue to have.

There is a belief in many coaching circles that you can teach a kid to defend and be serviceable. Ihnen is proof that you can although he came in better defensively than Mutaf just due to being longer and a little more twitchy. This staff took Mutaf late and maybe had hopes they could fix that part. I think Richards been very good at spring recruiting all things considered, but it's just not my favorite way. It also leads to the turnover we continue to have.

It takes longer for the light to go on for some players than it does for others. Some players are more patient in the process to get to the point they need to be to play than others. Pretty tough to predict in the case of a player you've basically only seen on film and gotten to know on recommendations from other people who may or may not have had the same expectations as you.

Both sides took a shot, one side decided it wasn't working out and wants to explore other options. Now if he ends up going to Iowa, where they don't seem to care about defense, and ends up kicking our butt to the tune of 20 points a game for the next 3 years or so, then I'll be a little upset. :)

He was a good (and willing) passer and an excellent ball handler. He was a poor shooter and not a particularly good finisher. He was a good rebounder for his size. Although he was not so good on defense, I don't think he was quite as bad as some people around here made him out to be. Carr isn't so great on defense either but he's a legit star in other facets of the game.
I agree with this.

his biggest problem was probably self-awareness.

he wasn’t ready to be a scorer in the big ten yet and didn’t realize it. Which led to frustration for him.

It does not seem to me that Richard builds relationships with MN HS kids. This is just my impression. Did he build a relationship with Chet Holmgren, or did he wait until his growth spurt and recruitment blew up?

My area? ..is Minneapolis. Boulder is one of my favorite spots to travel to and in, however. I'm a huge fan of Colorado and Oregon in general. :)

I lived in Colorado for 5 years, now live in Oregon. They are fantastic places. Minneapolis is great to visit family in May-October :cool:

I wish Pitino could have found spot minutes for him to keep him on board. I get that he was likely a major liability on defense but a good coach can find spot minute for a shooter, especially on a team that cant shoot. Could have given the team a boost.
Sucks that the NCAA moved to a system where you can’t let up during any game. Pitino is ensuring the Gophers look good to the committee. If anyone is the blame for younger players not getting time to develop during games it’s the NCAA.

Come on. You can be sure that Pitino had plans for him, but he didn't stay around long enough to prove himself valuable enough to have the coach change the defensive strategies just for him. With the current mix of the team and the emphasis on defense, how can you expect the coach to change up the style to allow a unproven freshman to get playing time.

Like Pitino said, he thinks Mitchell probably has the most potential as a big guard to play at the next level, but he can't even get him in the games. We are blessed with a deep roster and with that comes bench time for many players that would have been playing in the past. It is like any higher level program, you have to wait your time to develop or force the coach to play you because of what you do in practice.

So to summarize ... change the defense so unproven players get time early

Might as well change the offense as well ... it’s not like wins and losses matter

It does not seem to me that Richard builds relationships with MN HS kids. This is just my impression. Did he build a relationship with Chet Holmgren, or did he wait until his growth spurt and recruitment blew up?
Pitino was one of the first high majors to offer, I believe he was offered at some point in his sophmore season before his ranking blew up. He has also been working with the 2022/23 class for awhile as he has multiple offers in-state for those classes.

NOT about Mutaf transferring . But Oscar T. the big boy for West Virginia left the team and transferred to Kentucky. Example of now what. Is he eligible at Kentucky this year ! This is how blue bloods can take your better players and this is what they will do. Groom a kid for a couple hundred practices, you already invested hundreds of thousands in him and he bolts for a blue blood. Transfer market will change and it will hurt the lesser programs and hurt those players left behind.

NOT about Mutaf transferring . But Oscar T. the big boy for West Virginia left the team and transferred to Kentucky. Example of now what. Is he eligible at Kentucky this year ! This is how blue bloods can take your better players and this is what they will do. Groom a kid for a couple hundred practices, you already invested hundreds of thousands in him and he bolts for a blue blood. Transfer market will change and it will hurt the lesser programs and hurt those players left behind.
And the ncaa will love it.

And the ncaa will love it.
Remember that they have not ruled that there will be total free agency. And that university administrators and athletic directors as well as student athletes are on committee's that vote. Tons of fans are in favor of a no sit rule. I prefer you sit unless your coach left for any reason.

Last edited:

Funny that we get the reaction followed by the facts. Kids are allowed to leave, just like coaches and administrators. Anyone who doesn't agree with that is foolish.
I think most people would be in agreement that no matter how open the transfer rules get, college players shouldn't become eligible to play for a new team within the same season. Even if it spans a semester break, like basketball does. That's too much, in my opinion.

I think most people would be in agreement that no matter how open the transfer rules get, college players shouldn't become eligible to play for a new team within the same season. Even if it spans a semester break, like basketball does. That's too much, in my opinion.

I completely agree. No way should that be allowed. But if a kid wants to transfer mid-season they have every right to do so. Just like students can leave a school at any time.

I completely agree. No way should that be allowed. But if a kid wants to transfer mid-season they have every right to do so. Just like students can leave a school at any time.
Right, and be able to be on scholarship and practice with the team at the new school.

Now, simply as a matter of practicality, doing so within a semester is not advisable unless things are really bad (abusive, or something like that).

Right, and be able to be on scholarship and practice with the team at the new school.

Now, simply as a matter of practicality, doing so within a semester is not advisable unless things are really bad (abusive, or something like that).

For sure. But not many kids transfer mid-semester, that I can think of (general students or athletes)

I haven't seen anyone saying kids should be immediately eligible if they transfer at the semester break but I could see how it is possible (graduations and the like)

For sure. But not many kids transfer mid-semester, that I can think of (general students or athletes)

I haven't seen anyone saying kids should be immediately eligible if they transfer at the semester break but I could see how it is possible (graduations and the like)
True. That would be somewhat more interesting, to graduate at the end of the fall semester. A backup that gets little minutes, and wants to transfer out of the league and perhaps from a high-major down to a mid or low major, in his last season of eligibility.

Maybe that would be a reasonable exception.

Top Bottom