Mutaf to transfer

With Pitino doing so well with transfers and Minnesota being a basketball hotbed maybe we see more Minnesotans come home when things don’t work out.
Funny you should say that as i know a program where all their transfers were kids they did not get the 1st time but the players remembered. Being 2nd can pay off.

Meh. He looks heavy and slow with little fast twitch the few times I saw him on the floor. He would get destroyed defensively in the Big-10 at wing or guard. He is also buried behind Gabe, Gach and Williams.

The point I was making has nothing to do with Pohto as a player, I'm commenting on roster balance.

We don't know how next season's roster will be balanced yet. We could have three or four openings available for spring recruiting.

If he showed up well in practice, why didn't he get more PT? Obviously he must not have probably for reasons mentioned in this thread. Too bad as he was fun to watch and seemed to be able to find the basket.

Honestly, if this opens up a spot for someone like David Roddy or Jamison Battle to transfer home next year, that would be huge for the program. Roddy is an absolute bulldog (like Jordan Murphy in guard form) and Jamison is a wing with size that shoots well and rebounds well.

David Roddy is doing great at Colorado State, a team that is having a pretty good season itself, just knocked off San Diego State on the road a few days ago. Battle is also doing well although his team has not been successful so far.

If I recall, he picked the Gophers without a visit to campus. Pandemic reality might create a lot more cases like this with guys being recruited and choosing schools with limited information and interaction. Buyers remorse in both directions is likely to skyrocket until recruiting can get back to normal.

Sad to see him go. His flashes showed offensive skills we don't have a lot of on the roster.

Freshmen basketball players who aren't in shape don't really impress me much.

Guys like that better be exceptionally tall or skilled (Melo at Syracuse).

Since Pitino has arrived have there been any of his recruits that transferred to another P6/High Major that was a significant contributor?

Since Pitino has arrived have there been any of his recruits that transferred to another P6/High Major that was a significant contributor?
Not that I can think of.

Not that I can think of.

They way of the NCAA world now more than ever is that after a player is recruited is to create an environment that productive ones stay as long as possible (until they go pro or conclude their eligibility). When major contributors bail, I will be concerned.

Not that I can think of.

The only one I can think of who even transferred to a power conference team (USC) was Buggs (a Tubby recruit) and he was a very marginal player during his one year there.

The only one I can think of who even transferred to a power conference team (USC) was Buggs (a Tubby recruit) and he was a very marginal player during his one year there.
Tubby had a couple transfers who excelled elsewhere. Pitino has not.

I was intrigued by Mutaf's size and skill set, and he certainly went right after the basket in his limited PT. I hope Pitino did all he could to convince him to stay because I think Mutaf could have helped the team next year. I suspect arriving to campus late, being out of shape (at least to my eye), and possibly struggling in practice all contributed to his lack of PT. Quitting after one semester though?

Payton Willis is shooting it well at C of C and averaging 14 points. Not a P5 school but could have used his shooting this year.

Who really knows what Mustaf might have done if he was playing significant minutes against the other teams' top players?

Fans have a tendency to get excited about players based on limited playing time in blow-out or garbage time situations.

with no inside information, there are multiple possibilities:
kid got homesick
kid wanted more playing time
some kind of conflict with coaches
just didn't like MN and/or covid restrictions

I hope/assume Pitino was honest with the kid about his prospects for playing time. But kids have a tendency to hear what they want to hear. I see that a lot at the HS level - kids (or their parents) get bent out of shape when the kid does not get the playing time that they think they deserve. Coaches do not want to run off any kids - they need the bodies for practice - but if a kid is not going to play significant minutes on varsity and the coach is clear about the situation, some kids can deal with it and some kids bolt.

Who really knows what Mustaf might have done if he was playing significant minutes against the other teams' top players?

Fans have a tendency to get excited about players based on limited playing time in blow-out or garbage time situations.

with no inside information, there are multiple possibilities:
kid got homesick
kid wanted more playing time
some kind of conflict with coaches
just didn't like MN and/or covid restrictions

I hope/assume Pitino was honest with the kid about his prospects for playing time. But kids have a tendency to hear what they want to hear. I see that a lot at the HS level - kids (or their parents) get bent out of shape when the kid does not get the playing time that they think they deserve. Coaches do not want to run off any kids - they need the bodies for practice - but if a kid is not going to play significant minutes on varsity and the coach is clear about the situation, some kids can deal with it and some kids bolt.
The worst is when you tell a kid they won’t play much, if at all, and tell them to be ready for that.

they join the team, then are pissed they don’t play

It’s like....I told you you weren’t going to play before the season started so you could quit before the season started if that wasn’t okay with you.

He looked like a crafty lefty and appeared fearless. Consider me disappointed.

But given the way today's eligibility has transformed, expect a lot more of this in the college game

Everyone needs instant gratification or I'm leaving and taking my ball with me.

Absolutely zero patience in society these days.
Every player who plays in 2020-21 gets an extra year of eligibility.

Other than Carr, who we know is going to the NBA, the entire roster as is could choose to come back next year.

If he's not playing this year, then he probably won't play next year either. Wild guess

And then the blanket transfer waiver.

Wild guess he's looking elsewhere for more playing time.

Tubby had a couple transfers who excelled elsewhere. Pitino has not.

Pitino has had a few transfers who are doing well at the destination schools (Washington, Willis, and Greenlee, and Fitzgerald did all right at Stephen F Austin). They just didn't do that at power conference schools.

Pitino has had a few transfers who are doing well at the destination schools (Washington, Willis, and Greenlee, and Fitzgerald did all right at Stephen F Austin). They just didn't do that at power conference schools.
Not quite the same as Tubby transfers who excelled at Iowa State and California. Of course, Mr. White never really got a chance here.

None of the three above are good starters at this level. All of them are good basketball players but with limitations that prevent them from excelling against the highest level players. Greenlee's 3 point percentage is incredible though (and he has done it on decent volume - 36 shots).

David Roddy is doing great at Colorado State, a team that is having a pretty good season itself, just knocked off San Diego State on the road a few days ago. Battle is also doing well although his team has not been successful so far.

I really liked Battle in high school and he was the guy I wanted when the thread about a high impact transfer (Guess we'll have to "settle" on Robbins) was started.

I thought Roddy's body language and teamwork was disgraceful in the SSS one game I saw him in high school so hopefully that was a one off but it's all I have to personally base my opinion on him.

Not quite the same as Tubby transfers who excelled at Iowa State and California. Of course, Mr. White never really got a chance here.

DeVoe Joseph transferred to Oregon and Colt Iverson to Colorado St, both had success.

DeVoe Joseph transferred to Oregon and Colt Iverson to Colorado St, both had success.
We do not speak Devoe Joseph's name! Arghh..... I wrote his name.... ahhhh….

His departure really cost us. When Nolan went down, we went from #10 in the nation to garbage because Hoffarber had to pay point and Mavrick Ahenmisi. Arghh…...

Top Bottom