Mutaf to transfer

Where would Gach go ?

Pro. It's been reported before that getting to a spot where he can make money is a major priority for him (believe his family does not come from a lot of financial stability). So while he may not be an NBA draft pick, I do wonder if he looks at a G-league or overseas deal after this year no matter what.

Selfishly I hope that's not the case because I think the team could be decent enough next year if he and Robbins are back.

Disappointing but not surprising and you can't put this on Pitino. If he expected to play more than he has, that's on him.

Disappointing but not surprising and you can't put this on Pitino. If he expected to play more than he has, that's on him.

Especially considering that Mutaf isn't in great shape. I don't think he put himself into the best position to get minutes.

I think Mutaf really flashed as having the potential to be a special scorer, so I'm disappointed, but you're right, this one can't be on Pitino.

This also makes the Pohto signing sting less as we need to bring in another non big

Pitino was not happy when Mutaf scored with 25 seconds left in the MSU blowout, and you could see him apologize to Izzo right away. Maybe there's more to that and what led to the sudden departure.

Especially considering he left while the team is solidifying itself as top 20 in the nation.

How could you tell his D was that bad? He only played 10 minutes of garbage time all season.
You are right on limited time to tell. But what I could see was he was late on box outs allowing his guy to just move past him and was easy to dribble around in the limited time that I saw. Could easily be worked on and maybe his being out of shape led to slower feet on d.

It has to be tough for him to make the transition. Covid limited the team experience. He was a star in Turkey and probably had a tough time not seeing the floor. Wish him luck, but also wish he would have stuck with it longer.

I got bashed for suggesting Mutaf could possibly transfer if things didn't go well. He didn't even make it through half a season. He had pro offers from Turkish leagues he was weighing in addition to playing college ball. He looked interesting in the little time he got, but I am not sure he was even playing against scholarship guys in those non-B1G garbage time minutes.

In a vacuum, this is not a big deal and something that happens in most programs. It's concerning that it's consistent misses with 4 year guys who are not highly regarded in terms of offers/rankings especially those taken in the Spring.

I do not blame Pitino, he took a long shot at a kid, did not work out. No big deal. Happens everywhere. Coach finally realizes that defense is first and when shooting is off, even more so. Internationals almost always come in behind the curve as they have played flat footed and tall for so long. Kid was brave to even come over here, covid and culture, academics.

Honestly, if this opens up a spot for someone like David Roddy or Jamison Battle to transfer home next year, that would be huge for the program. Roddy is an absolute bulldog (like Jordan Murphy in guard form) and Jamison is a wing with size that shoots well and rebounds well.

Let's wait until Pohto gets here to criticize his signing.
The point I was making has nothing to do with Pohto as a player, I'm commenting on roster balance.

Why announce your going to transfer in the middle of a season that doesn't count against your eligibility?? Why not finish the season and get experience?

Honestly, if this opens up a spot for someone like David Roddy or Jamison Battle to transfer home next year, that would be huge for the program. Roddy is an absolute bulldog (like Jordan Murphy in guard form) and Jamison is a wing with size that shoots well and rebounds well.
With Pitino doing so well with transfers and Minnesota being a basketball hotbed maybe we see more Minnesotans come home when things don’t work out.

I do not blame Pitino, he took a long shot at a kid, did not work out. No big deal. Happens everywhere. Coach finally realizes that defense is first and when shooting is off, even more so. Internationals almost always come in behind the curve as they have played flat footed and tall for so long. Kid was brave to even come over here, covid and culture, academics.
Sounds like you think Pitino is getting it...perhaps becoming a better coach?

Why announce your going to transfer in the middle of a season that doesn't count against your eligibility?? Why not finish the season and get experience?

Pretty sure with spring semester not starting yet, he can transfer somewhere and potentially play this year

I assume he may not want to enroll for Spring classes and go home. Otherwise I agree.

Really disappointing. He had the potential to be dangerous offensive player. Transferring in the middle of the year from a team that his having some success is a terrible look but maybe he's homesick or just not a fan of Richard Pitino.

The point I was making has nothing to do with Pohto as a player, I'm commenting on roster balance.
This is the balance Gophers want, a lot of bigs so Chet doesn't have to BANG around. Gophers will probably be bigger and more experienced that Zags next year.

Top Bottom