Ihmir Smith-Marsette Commits

You really got me. I’ve made two posts today, maybe five in the last week total. Now go count yours across these forums.
LOL. What on earth does that have to with your post or my response? Do “children” post more? Dear Lord.

Well he visited like a week before signing day, this was back when there was only one signing day. So yeah I’m sure Fleck did ask for a quick decision, I’m sure Ferentz did too. As for flying guys out to his school after he decomitted, not sure I believe that, interesting he didn’t go into detail about what was said at that point as well.

Fraudy McFraudpants with another hard hitting expose of coach Fleck.
I still remember this guy accusing PJ of being a meanie to poor, misunderstood Demry Croft. Of course, that's when he was Sir Spoofin to me because he vowed to go on a crusade to get rid of PJ.

LOL. “Reviving”. The search function! An ISM story posted in an ISM thread. The horror. What is ridiculous is what some posters will do if someone says something negative about PJ. We can’t have that!
Sounds like you need one of these -

1706271150848.jpeg

Have a great day, unless you’ve made other plans kiddo

Final thoughts before I let PJ’s mama bears have the floor.

- An SI story where a former recruit tells about his recruiting experience with Minnesota/PJ is 100% a legit topic for this board.
- Go ahead and think it is no big deal and common, also 100% legit. Saying that posting it is “childish”, “unintelligent”, “pathetic”, or shows someone is “off the deep end” is…. well… childish and pathetic.
- Do I think it is a big deal? Nah. I am way more concerned about PJ’s coaching ability than I am his recruiting. However, it would be good to remember this story at the annual “why are we getting all these de-commits” and “kids should honor their commitments” discussion.
- It is also a bit more evidence that Jerry Kill was right about PJ. An act.

For whatever (little) it's worth, this is talking about 2017 PJ Fleck. He was trying to build his first class here.

I guess I would not be surprised if he was applying a "lot" of "pressure" to get kids to commit. Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of coaches do similar things.

- An SI story
:sneaky:

No, this story was written by Bring Me The News, and then published under SI's FanNation.

SI did not write this story.

Does SI even have writers employed anymore??

Final thoughts before I let PJ’s mama bears have the floor.

- An SI story where a former recruit tells about his recruiting experience with Minnesota/PJ is 100% a legit topic for this board.
- Go ahead and think it is no big deal and common, also 100% legit. Saying that posting it is “childish”, “unintelligent”, “pathetic”, or shows someone is “off the deep end” is…. well… childish and pathetic.
- Do I think it is a big deal? Nah. I am way more concerned about PJ’s coaching ability than I am his recruiting. However, it would be good to remember this story at the annual “why are we getting all these de-commits” and “kids should honor their commitments” discussion.
- It is also a bit more evidence that Jerry Kill was right about PJ. An act.
Jerry Kill was the act. The annual discussion on decommits is usually related to NIL and some people are only starting to get a grip on that.

As I stated in the other thread that was already talking about this, context does matter.

1. This was just a few weeks after Fleck was hired so they were already way behind when it came to recruiting. This would have occurred pretty late in the recruiting process too. It's probably pretty high pressure for just about anyone then, especially for a coach that is way behind because they were just hired.

2. It's Iowa, one of our biggest rivals. We know Ferentz hates Fleck. I'm sure ISM heard about it all the time in his time there. While I'm not saying the story is completely made up, I think the chances it's exaggerated are pretty high. Iowa player on an Iowa podcast.

3. It's always easier for a player to make claims like this because they know the coach can't respond. It's always one side of the story.

4. Even if it's all completely true, it isn't a big deal. Not every coach and program uses those tactics, but it's pretty common. These idiots will always try to make it seem like it's only Fleck that does it. ISM comes off looking worse here than Fleck IMO.

Last edited:

As I stated in the other thread that was already talking about this, context does matter.

1. This was just a few weeks after Fleck was hired so they were already way behind when it came to recruiting. This would have occurred pretty late in the recruiting process. It's probably pretty high pressure for just about anyone then, especially for a coach that is way behind because they were just hired.

2. It's Iowa, one of our biggest rivals. We know Ferentz hates Fleck. I'm sure ISM heard about it all the time in his time there. While I'm not saying the story is completely made up, I think the chances it's exaggerated are pretty high. Iowa player on an Iowa podcast.

3. It's always easier for a player to make claims like this because they know the coach can't respond. It's always one side of the story.

4. Even if it's all completely true, it isn't a big deal. Not every coach and program uses those tactics, but it's pretty common. These idiots will always try to make it seem like it's only Fleck that does it. ISM comes off looking worse here than Fleck IMO.
Point 1. is the only thing that really matters and contains the most factual information. The rest is all speculation. The kid was in the grinder of recruiting, late in the process and coaches wanted him. He should take it as a compliment.

I would guess it's pretty standard for a coach to tell a player who's not ready to commit that the scholarship might not be there if they wait too long. A coach better be looking for Plan B in that case. Conversely, a player who doesn't want to announce it on social media should be a red flag to the coach that the player isn't solid on the commitment. Maybe the coach doesn't care about that. Interesting anecdote, but not at all cringeworthy.

I would guess it's pretty standard for a coach to tell a player who's not ready to commit that the scholarship might not be there if they wait too long. A coach better be looking for Plan B in that case. Conversely, a player who doesn't want to announce it on social media should be a red flag to the coach that the player isn't solid on the commitment. Maybe the coach doesn't care about that. Interesting anecdote, but not at all cringeworthy.
Yeah it seems ISM wanted to commit to MN only to make sure he had a spot there if he wanted to actually commit. Kinda hold the spot essentially.

I mean I don't doubt that PJ has used some strange high pressure tactics on the recruiting trail, but yeah we only ever get to hear one side of these stories. And while ISM put together a nice career at Iowa, he also racked up a DUI and is on his 4th NFL roster in a fairly short period, so I question whether he's the most mature young man out there.

Every coach uses those tactics in some way or another. Been coaching for 10 years - they either say commit on the spot, or they say oh take your time, make sure its the right decision and then they text everyday after saying lets go, whats the hold up.

Its recruiting. If a kid takes the time to go on a visit there is interest and you try to close them before someone else can. Not that hard to understand.

I don’t think that specific bit of it, the ultimatum in Fleck’s office, was the issue.

So much as it was that he’s saying they stopped the bus on the way to the airport to ask him to post it then and there. And then again when dropping him off.

That’s the “story” anyway.

No college has an unlimited amount of scholarships & roster spots. Roster management is fluid, challenging, & needed. If one does not manage their roster their roster will manage them. It's never good when the inmates are running the prison. "Sh.t or get off the pot." His history-actions confirms he was never worthy of wearing a Gopher's uniform.

Smith-Marsette made the right choice. He was 4-0 as a player against Minnesota. And 2 of those games weren't particularly close.

I know you hate P.J., but he/the staff did nothing wrong in that story, and Smith-Marsette comes off like the naive dipshit that he was/is.
Check your sarcasm meter...

Smith-Marsette made the right choice. He was 4-0 as a player against Minnesota. And 2 of those games weren't particularly close.
If this is what constitutes making the right choice glad we didn't get him. Making the right choice should be relationships, fit, preparation for the next level, education etc. etc. Going 4-0 against MN seems pretty narrow minded.

Iowa's best finish while he was there was 2nd in the West. Maybe he helps get MN to Indy in 2019, we'll never know.

Point 1. is the only thing that really matters and contains the most factual information. The rest is all speculation. The kid was in the grinder of recruiting, late in the process and coaches wanted him. He should take it as a compliment.
What strikes me is that, if they really wanted him, they should have gotten a clue after a couple of times asking him to post. It wasn't as if the act of posting his verbal commitment would lock him in as committed.

What strikes me is that, if they really wanted him, they should have gotten a clue after a couple of times asking him to post. It wasn't as if the act of posting his verbal commitment would lock him in as committed.
That's why I think the story is exaggerated. Posting it online isn't some binding contract or anything. Lots of players post it online and change their minds quickly. And it's not like he was a big time recruit either. I don't this his commitment announcement would generate a lot of excitement with other recruits.

That's why I think the story is exaggerated. Posting it online isn't some binding contract or anything. Lots of players post it online and change their minds quickly. And it's not like he was a big time recruit either. I don't this his commitment announcement would generate a lot of excitement with other recruits.
The kid didn't want Iowa to know he just got talked into a commitment obviously.

Top Bottom