Ihmir Smith-Marsette Commits

mkAz

Reaction score
I think he deserves his own thread! Welcome aboard. He looks like a great athlete. At a position of need too.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/4489961/5846cfabc124d82334946975' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hard to overstate how satisfying it is to beat Iowa head to head on a guy they wanted. He visited Iowa last week, MN this week. PJ wins round 1.

My first impression is with his slight frame he looks nearly identical to rookie-season Randy Moss. Obviously nobody is Moss except Moss.

My second impresssion is he does look very athletic. Like Demetrius Douglas I wonder where he will ultimately end up.

Hard to overstate how satisfying it is to beat Iowa head to head on a guy they wanted. He visited Iowa last week, MN this week. PJ wins round 1.

My first impression is with his slight frame he looks nearly identical to rookie-season Randy Moss. Obviously nobody is Moss except Moss.

My second impresssion is he does look very athletic. Like Demetrius Douglas I wonder where he will ultimately end up.

Beat Iowa for Van Dyne and Ibrahim too. So 3-0 with Fleck.

One would hope, in the weight room.

OK - help me out. When a recruit is identified as an "Athlete," that usually means his college position is not certain - that he has the ability to play multiple positions. Where is this kid projected to wind up?

OK - help me out. When a recruit is identified as an "Athlete," that usually means his college position is not certain - that he has the ability to play multiple positions. Where is this kid projected to wind up?

WR or DB. I mean he weighs 155 pounds.

He does look like a fantastic athlete, really good hands. I'm hoping he can bulk up some. I wonder how well he can hold up against the run, especially if he will have to play right away.

It will be very interesting to see who ends up being a DB from this class, and how that might change down the road.

You have to like that he can return punts too, that was a trouble spot last season.

If I recall correctly, Eric Murray was about the same size as a HS Senior.

Rivlas listed Murray at 5'11" 173. To be fair they list Marsette at 6'2" 175. That's bigger than I've seen him listed elsewhere.

I saw Smith-Marsette at the game yesterday, and he is definitely a skinny dude (I walked by him in the concourse); but that is what strength programs are for. Hopefully we can piece together enough secondary depth where he can redshirt and get his weight up a bit before he sees the field. Great length and speed though, I think he could be a nice corner down the road.

I was sitting close enough to be able to see the recruits during the Gopher-Maryland game yesterday, and at one point during the game Marsette looked like he was sleeping; I looked over a few minutes later and he was standing on the bleachers and dancing during a time-out. Ah, to be a teenager again. By the way, they had the entire staff of 9 sitting with the recruits yesterday (and Fleck and his wife were behind the Gopher bench), so they definitely had the full-court press on.

Yeah, I imagine he's the typical press coverage guy with all of his length. Needs weight badly but that shouldn't be too much of a problem after (hopefully) a RS year and S&C. He'll jam guys at the LOS.

He's also an elite high school hurdler. Competes at the national level and wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He will end up at Rutgers after after this little game of his backfires, his twitter account is leading me to believe Iowa doesn't have a spot for him.

Which is really disadvantageous. Hope PJ has a surprise CB up his sleeve or pray that some of the 10 will be eligible.

You are so worried about the cornerbacks, and if we recruited any. They are high school kids, and many, if not most, will switch positions, as will current guys on the roster. Read the article in the Star Trib today about the Vikings and recruiting stars. I don't want to get in a debate about number of stars, but what is interesting is all the guys they mentioned who were recruited out of high school at totally different positions than they played in college, and now the NFL. Robison was a linebacker out of high school, and Rhodes was a WR who is now a cornerback. Eric Murray came here as a WR and became a longtime starter at corner.

Fleck and staff may have a number of the recruits, or current players already pegged as corners who are listed by recruiting services as WR, S, QB.

You are so worried about the cornerbacks, and if we recruited any. They are high school kids, and many, if not most, will switch positions, as will current guys on the roster. Read the article in the Star Trib today about the Vikings and recruiting stars. I don't want to get in a debate about number of stars, but what is interesting is all the guys they mentioned who were recruited out of high school at totally different positions than they played in college, and now the NFL. Robison was a linebacker out of high school, and Rhodes was a WR who is now a cornerback. Eric Murray came here as a WR and became a longtime starter at corner.

Fleck and staff may have a number of the recruits, or current players already pegged as corners who are listed by recruiting services as WR, S, QB.

I think most of the people recruited as defensive backs will play defensive back.

Douglas could end up at WR/DB
Estese could end up at WR/DB/QB

But I think the rest of them end up at DB.

I think most of the people recruited as defensive backs will play defensive back.

Douglas could end up at WR/DB
Estese could end up at WR/DB/QB

But I think the rest of them end up at DB.

I agree. My point wasn't that some of the D backs may switch, but that high school positions really dome matter all that much, and others may just switch to corner. No need to worry about Who specifically is identified as a high school corner.

Top Bottom