Henry Lake-Pitino gone, will coach out remainder of season

The fact that this is even a thread right now is asinine. Pitino hasn't been fired yet. There's not one report on any local news site that he's being let go, just a tweet from H-Lake and we don't know who his "source" is. If WCCO wanted to go further with it and post the info they have, they could have. But they've chosen not to.

That said, is the writing on the wall? Absolutely. His tone postgame after Nebraska suggested he knows it's over. He's holding a media session and doing his radio show tomorrow, so I'm sure that will be about as much fun as a colonoscopy. But let's wait until he's actually gone to talk about replacements.

Nothing on 10pm news last night either.

They're obviously not going to say something until either we see tweets or reports from big national media (ESPN), or until the University issues a press release, which I assume will also have Coyle take questions.

Could've told him something like "if you don't win a game in March Madness, you're done here". Technically still a chance.

The fact that this is even a thread right now is asinine. Pitino hasn't been fired yet. There's not one report on any local news site that he's being let go, just a tweet from H-Lake and we don't know who his "source" is. If WCCO wanted to go further with it and post the info they have, they could have. But they've chosen not to.

That said, is the writing on the wall? Absolutely. His tone postgame after Nebraska suggested he knows it's over. He's holding a media session and doing his radio show tomorrow, so I'm sure that will be about as much fun as a colonoscopy. But let's wait until he's actually gone to talk about replacements.

Nah, lets talk about them now.

Pitino being let go is the worst kept secret in town...Why no statement from Coyle or the university yet?....Contract settlement with Pitino?...Waiting for confirmation from the new coach?
They are keeping Pitino's kids from finding out.

Depends on who they hire.

Several coaches are known for working with bigs.
You may very well be right. I'm just saying I will be very surprised if a new HC doesn't clean out and start with his own people.

Why leave a P5 program that is desperate for a winner, and will support you in any way you need, and which you've done some nice things for in your first couple years ... for some other P5 program?

1) you have special/personal ties to the second program -- I don't buy that he feels that strongly about Gophers. Because his dad was coach here when he was 7-11 years old? Didn't grow up here, didn't go to the U.
2) you really hate the location of where you're at -- possible, but I don't think NW Ark is that bad
3) you're looking for a bigger/better challenge or a better/more elite program -- obviously not the latter, but the former is plausible
Fair question, but the Big Ten is the Big Ten. Nothing against the SEC, but like I said in another thread, elevating a team in the best conference, competing against the best coaches in the country night in and night out allows you to grab at the brass ring of being thought of as one of the best.

Why leave a P5 program that is desperate for a winner, and will support you in any way you need, and which you've done some nice things for in your first couple years ... for some other P5 program?

1) you have special/personal ties to the second program -- I don't buy that he feels that strongly about Gophers. Because his dad was coach here when he was 7-11 years old? Didn't grow up here, didn't go to the U.
2) you really hate the location of where you're at -- possible, but I don't think NW Ark is that bad
3) you're looking for a bigger/better challenge or a better/more elite program -- obviously not the latter, but the former is plausible
Arkansas is a decent job. But outside of Nolan Richardson's time, it's not spectacular. And SEC basketball is generally not as strong as the B1G. Normally, we would not have a shot at luring their coach, but there are reasons he might be interested that don't apply to others.

Arkansas is a decent job. But outside of Nolan Richardson's time, it's not spectacular. And SEC basketball is generally not as strong as the B1G. Normally, we would not have a shot at luring their coach, but there are reasons he might be interested that don't apply to others.

I think that's true overall, but the SEC has won 3 national titles since the Big Ten's last 20 years ago, and has won 6 (to the Big Ten's one) in the last 30 years.

Question - I understand that the NCAA has been talking about liberalizing the transfer rules.

But Robbins transferred to MN under the 'family hardship' exemption. it was not a straight transfer.

so, does that impact his potential ability to transfer again?

Or, does he wait for Uncle Ed to get a new job, and claim he needs to transfer again to that school?

that could be the biggest issue if there is a lag between Pitino officially getting the axe, and a new coach being hired. the current players will have a lot of time to think - and there just might be some "under-the-table" recruiting going on.

I think that's true overall, but the SEC has won 3 national titles since the Big Ten's last 20 years ago, and has won 6 (to the Big Ten's one) in the last 30 years.
Its about winning it all, there is no denying that, but B1G has put multiple different teams in the final 4 as opposed to just FLA, UK, and then Auburn recently. The difference is that the SEC only goes 5/6 teams that are good tops, and the B1G goes 8 or more every year.

Should we also wait for players to officially graduate/leave the school before we talk about who might replace them in the lineup the following season?

I mean it's a message board, what else are we doing to do?

Nothing on 10pm news last night either.

They're obviously not going to say something until either we see tweets or reports from big national media (ESPN), or until the University issues a press release, which I assume will also have Coyle take questions.

Could've told him something like "if you don't win a game in March Madness, you're done here". Technically still a chance.

This is a message board. People can speculate. We'd had coach replacement threads for years.

This is a message board. People can speculate. We'd had coach replacement threads for years.
I mean, I'd agree Coyle shouldn't be on TV giving interviews about his next coach, but I think Coyle has been upfront with Richard

It's not like Nebraska situation that felt like they left Miles in the dark while they negotiated with hoiberg

Pitino would replace Dackich on B1G network

I mean, I'd agree Coyle shouldn't be on TV giving interviews about his next coach, but I think Coyle has been upfront with Richard

It's not like Nebraska situation that felt like they left Miles in the dark while they negotiated with hoiberg

I mean I don't care if Coyle does do that. He has every right to talk to other coaches. Just like Pitino has every right to talk to other schools. Its like coaches getting mad when kids transfer, but then they leave to a different school for more money.

I mean I don't care if Coyle does do that. He has every right to talk to other coaches. Just like Pitino has every right to talk to other schools. Its like coaches getting mad when kids transfer, but then they leave to a different school for more money.
I would find it in poor taste, unless it was publicly announce you're firing Pitino. If you're talking publicly about next coach while you have a coach under employ, it's a bad look, if you're at that point, just fire him.

We all feel decision has been made, but there is optics around it

I would find it in poor taste, unless it was publicly announce you're firing Pitino. If you're talking publicly about next coach while you have a coach under employ, it's a bad look, if you're at that point, just fire him.

Publicly I agree. I thought you meant to be talking to other coaches

Well well well, smarter heads have prevailed!

let’s hope Coyle can find a basketball PJ!
What was gophers football record this year? One fluke season with a favorable schedule and we’re ready to knight him. In two years people will be calling for his head too.

What was gophers football record this year? One fluke season with a favorable schedule and we’re ready to knight him. In two years people will be calling for his head too.
Surprised there weren't some after this year.

Unless he wins big, you are correct.

Right. This is what I think "the talk" between Coyle and Pitino was about. I think Coyle basically said, "We're moving on at the end of the season. I want you to know now because I'm going to start talking to people behind the scenes. You might hear about it and I want to be honest with you."

He has also shown that he will recruit tirelessly and has high aspirations for this program....Something that two fairly successful coaches in recent history(mason, kill) refused to do.

How dare thee besmircheth PJ!

The past season wasn't that bad and he had problems with COVID and players hurt it nothing like Pitin…..

He's different, ok!!!!

Top Bottom