Henry Lake-Pitino gone, will coach out remainder of season

Actually he can't:

It also includes an agreement that if Musselman leaves Arkansas, neither he nor anyone acting on his behalf won’t try to recruit any prospective student-athlete who was previously contacted or recruited by Arkansas for one year after Musselman’s contract is terminated, unless his new school previously recruited the student-athlete.

Boooo

I’d be really interested in seeing who IU would hire. I don’t think Beilien or Stevens would go there. Job isn’t what it used to be, but still would have a better pool to pick from than us.
Stevens only dream college job has been IU for his whole life.His words, not mine,

Stevens only dream college job has been IU for his whole life.His words, not mine,

I do believe he said that and it makes sense. It’ll be interesting to see if he still wants that dream or not

If you know anything at all about the Musselmans, you know they are work aholics. I bet Mus has a list of Transfer portal players he knows he would go after if he bolted Arkansas for any job at all times.

He and his dad literally live and breathe basketball. (well, his dad used too)

Actually he can't:

It also includes an agreement that if Musselman leaves Arkansas, neither he nor anyone acting on his behalf won’t try to recruit any prospective student-athlete who was previously contacted or recruited by Arkansas for one year after Musselman’s contract is terminated, unless his new school previously recruited the student-athlete.

If that's actually the language of the contract, then the school screwed up. The double negative means that it's open season for roster poaching from Arkansas. Sweet!

Oh you best believe they'll keep Ed on staff. Unless Pitino can drag him and Liam to his new school. Liam would really ball out at Wright State
Not many new HCs keep existing assts on staff. I'm also reasonably sure incoming coaches expect to lose a number of players from the previous regime. Pitino gone=Robbins gone.

Not many new HCs keep existing assts on staff. I'm also reasonably sure incoming coaches expect to lose a number of players from the previous regime. Pitino gone=Robbins gone.
Depends on who they hire.

Several coaches are known for working with bigs.

If you know anything at all about the Musselmans, you know they are work aholics. I bet Mus has a list of Transfer portal players he knows he would go after if he bolted Arkansas for any job at all times.

He and his dad literally live and breathe basketball. (well, his dad used too)

Yeah, if you're part of his staff, don't be shocked if you get a couple of 2am calls a week wanting to spend an hour or so discussing more options for defending the high ball screen or pick and roll. :)

I’m not sure what the current transfer rules look like, but would Robbins get immediate eligibility if he transferred again? Would he want to sit a year just to play one? I’m assuming he hasn’t graduated in 3 years to be able to grad transfer. If he really doesn’t want to sit out, we'd maybe have a chance to keep him, and I’d imagine the next coach would like to retain him.

He knew on Friday and deservedly so.

This thread quickly changed from a thread about the Friday meeting to a thread about machinations to get Musselman or whoever is the next coach. Almost nothing has been said about the purported fact that Pitino has been fired but will remain as the head coach for the rest of the season so here are my thoughts.

1) I assume that Coyle left this decision about remaining head coach for the rest of the season to Pitino.

2) It apparently never crossed Pitino's mind that the team and the assistants might be better off if he didn't remain for the tail end of the season.

3) Perhaps Pitino was delusional enough to think that he still could turn this season around.

4) Maybe Pitino psychologically had to maintain control to the bitter end.

If 2, 3, or 4 are true, then I'm even more disgusted with Pitino.

This thread quickly changed from a thread about the Friday meeting to a thread about machinations to get Musselman or whoever is the next coach. Almost nothing has been said about the purported fact that Pitino has been fired but will remain as the head coach for the rest of the season so here are my thoughts.

1) I assume that Coyle left this decision about remaining head coach for the rest of the season to Pitino.

2) It apparently never crossed Pitino's mind that the team and the assistants might be better off if he didn't remain for the tail end of the season.

3) Perhaps Pitino was delusional enough to think that he still could turn this season around.

Like I have said in previous posts....Despite several posters on here saying how much they enjoy Pitino's personality....I do not.....He can be an insecure, defensive prick at times....It was on full display last week on his radio show.....I wish him no ill will, but it's been time to move on from him for a long time.

I've been wrong so many times, that I just don't care if I'm wrong again. Happy to do so, for the sake of provoking discussion.

That said: makes no sense why he would leave Arkansas for Minnesota. Unless he really hates being/living in the south (which I personally would totally get) or he really wants to coach in the Big Ten instead of SEC? Seems like a much harder challenge, which perhaps is a motivation I suppose.

But, you're saying he loves the Gophers program ... because his dad was the coach here in the 70's for four years? And because he spent four years of his childhood in Minneapolis, before actually growing up in San Diego and Cleveland, then attending the U of San Diego?

Just on that surface, I'm not buying it.

Musselman will most likely go where his wife wants to go. ;)

Me thinks so too... and if I recall a few months back when Musselman was being discussed, 'Built' stated that she doesn't want to live here, therefore no chance for Muss.

Things change but I really don't see him coming here either. Potentially would take allot of money and I don't think the U can afford that.

Then again; what the hell do I know. I think it's exciting to discuss who will be next!

I don't want to assume the worst. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, it would be simply wanting to finish what you started and work being its own reward.

Me thinks so too... and if I recall a few months back when Musselman was being discussed, 'Built' stated that she doesn't want to live here, therefore no chance for Muss.

Things change but I really don't see him coming here either. Potentially would take allot of money and I don't think the U can afford that.

Then again; what the hell do I know. I think it's exciting to discuss who will be next!
She may have changed her mind after 2 years in Arkansas! Minneapolis might seem a lot brighter now.

It's possible they are both working on finding him a new landing spot, for monetary reasons. There's very little value in allowing an assistant to coach out the final 2 weeks.

Not many assistant coaches have nephews that were national players of the week

I don't buy the "wife doesn't like the weather" argument. At his salary, she can get a condo in Florida for the winter if she doesn't like snow. Eric strikes me as the type you don't want to be around that much during the season anyway.

I don't buy the "wife doesn't like the weather" argument. At his salary, she can get a condo in Florida for the winter if she doesn't like snow. Eric strikes me as the type you don't want to be around that much during the season anyway.
Why leave a P5 program that is desperate for a winner, and will support you in any way you need, and which you've done some nice things for in your first couple years ... for some other P5 program?

1) you have special/personal ties to the second program -- I don't buy that he feels that strongly about Gophers. Because his dad was coach here when he was 7-11 years old? Didn't grow up here, didn't go to the U.
2) you really hate the location of where you're at -- possible, but I don't think NW Ark is that bad
3) you're looking for a bigger/better challenge or a better/more elite program -- obviously not the latter, but the former is plausible

Pitino being let go is the worst kept secret in town...Why no statement from Coyle or the university yet?....Contract settlement with Pitino?...Waiting for confirmation from the new coach?

Top Bottom