Henry Lake-Pitino gone, will coach out remainder of season

I would donate to a “buy out Mussleman” fund. Of course, the horrible irony in this is that if he fired Pitino when he should have years ago, he could have had Mussleman relatively easily. Now he has to work hard for it.
I just told my wife that there may be some money going out next month.

Last edited:

If he’s healthy he’d be a home run for sure. I like him more than anyone else we’ve mentioned.

Would suck if he decided he felt good enough to give it another go, signed on for 5 years, and then 1.5 years in, it turns out the grind IS STILL too much for him to handle healthwise and has to step down.

If he’s healthy he’d be a home run for sure. I like him more than anyone else we’ve mentioned.
He is one of the best coaches in Conference history. Knows how to eye talent and skill. His teams play smart. Incredibly nice guy. If we are moving on better make it quick . If IU opens they will take whoever is best.

Arkansas fans seem to think their Associate HC would get the job, so maybe they're willing to drive a harder bargain. Still assume they could meet in the middle
wouldn't imagine many recruits/parents would be overly thrilled with that option and really wouldn't avoid the issue for them. Who knows though

He is one of the best coaches in Conference history. Knows how to eye talent and skill. His teams play smart. Incredibly nice guy. If we are moving on better make it quick . If IU opens they will take whoever is best.

Looking at the Big 10 Tournament schedule Pitino will be done in 10 days after we lose our first round game. I hope that's fast enough to send him packing and to set our sights on his successor.

I’d be really interested in seeing who IU would hire. I don’t think Beilien or Stevens would go there. Job isn’t what it used to be, but still would have a better pool to pick from than us.

Would suck if he decided he felt good enough to give it another go, signed on for 5 years, and then 1.5 years in, it turns out the grind IS STILL too much for him to handle healthwise and has to step down.
Given our luck, it feels likely that's what would happen.

Same here. Only what i was told, no idea of motive. Different agent told me that Coyle likes Grant. Pretty sure he likes several of them. He likely has a short list of 5 and none of us will be in on that information.

This is where I'm at. I think his list is probably pretty guessable. Maybe 1 surprise we wouldn't expect/think is gettable/etc. but there are only so many coaching candidates for B1G level jobs. Unlike Teague, I think Coyle get one off his list.

I want Dutcher!
I've always wanted Musselman to coach the Gophers, and I'm hoping that they get him... but if they don't, I really hope they bring in Brian Dutcher. He's kinda old, but would be an awesome coach to stabilize the program and create a good footing for the next coach.

I’d be really interested in seeing who IU would hire. I don’t think Beilien or Stevens would go there. Job isn’t what it used to be, but still would have a better pool to pick from than us.
I'm a Gopher fan, but just seeing Assembly Hall on TV takes my breath away. If I don't get there in my lifetime, I'll be disappointed. If I feel that way, how does someone like Stevens feel? I could be wrong, but I think he jumps at that job.

I'm a Gopher fan, but just seeing Assembly Hall on TV takes my breath away. If I don't get there in my lifetime, I'll be disappointed. If I feel that way, how does someone like Stevens feel? I could be wrong, but I think he jumps at that job.

No doubt there is tons of history. Just has been a tough job. Archie is a good coach. I think it was on Hummel and Goodman’s pod with Holtmann as a guest, that they were talking about how Stevens loves Butler and could end up back there someday.

No doubt there is tons of history. Just has been a tough job. Archie is a good coach. I think it was on Hummel and Goodman’s pod with Holtmann as a guest, that they were talking about how Stevens loves Butler and could end up back there someday.
Make no mistake, I'd love if he ended up back there.

Gophers can beat anyone on any given day. May be too early to report this. I am not kidding, look at the home record with Robbins.
Speaking of Robbins... if Pitino is shown the door, Robbins will be in the portal in a few months.

Things like that happen.

He can bring them with
Actually he can't:

It also includes an agreement that if Musselman leaves Arkansas, neither he nor anyone acting on his behalf won’t try to recruit any prospective student-athlete who was previously contacted or recruited by Arkansas for one year after Musselman’s contract is terminated, unless his new school previously recruited the student-athlete.

Top Bottom