Fresh Start Liam Robbins Thread

Yes, I referred to him above. He was also ranked highly as a recruit: #78 (#20 Center) by 247; no ranking by Rivals but rated a 5 star; no ranking by ESPN.

Obviously, Robbins prefers playing on a raised floor in an older gym.
It's not older than me. I bet there are no obstructed seating as it was built in the 50's in lieu of the 20's. Raised floor? Yes. Maybe Conroy likes coaching at eye level.

I think that is especially important for Liam. He is still very raw and has progressed so much every year. Another year with the right coaching and he can improve his draft stock tremendously. It is time for Liam to break away from his family. He needs to look for a team that can develop his style of play. I am not familiar with the good big guy coaches. Isn't coach Thorson good at developing bigs?
Dave did not have many bigs but he sure is great at developing basketball players.

So Treyton Thompson is our starting center at the moment.... Yikes. Hopefully Fox gets on board and the dominoes start falling in our favor. Carr and Robbins were by far the two best players on this team last year, Mashburn was pretty good too. Hopefully Freeman renegs on the portal and comes back because we are hurting for BIGS
Freeman was in before Robbins right? Maybe now that Liam is for sure gone Sam comes on back. We need bigs, and I'm not sure what's out there that's better that we'd have a legit chance of landing.

Freeman was in before Robbins right? Maybe now that Liam is for sure gone Sam comes on back. We need bigs, and I'm not sure what's out there that's better that we'd have a legit chance of landing.
I can't imagine Freeman getting many offers out there at another P6. I could see him and Tre coming back, maybe Mitchell. All the others are gone

Yes, I referred to him above. He was also ranked highly as a recruit: #78 (#20 Center) by 247; no ranking by Rivals but rated a 5 star; no ranking by ESPN.
Has the size to play center in the Big Ten. Would be an interesting prospect if he decided to come here. No idea if he is even someone they are considering of course or if he would even consider us.

Wasn't he the starter for all of 2014-15, and 15-16?

No, 2014-15 we still had Walker and Elliot and Bakary was a freshman. Now, Pitino started dog housing Elliot not too long after the conference season started and Bakary started playing a lot more.

He was the starting center during the historical 2015-16 season and ascended to that role again as a senior after Lynch was suspended.

Has the size to play center in the Big Ten. Would be an interesting prospect if he decided to come here. No idea if he is even someone they are considering of course or if he would even consider us.

My guess is that he will have a decent share of offers. At worst, he's a backup center on a second tier P6 team.

My guess is that he will have a decent share of offers. At worst, he's a backup center on a second tier P6 team.
If it's all about playing time, he will get plenty here. If it's about a chance to win, he probably would not be leaving the Zags. Ergo, maybe we have a chance if Ben is interested and he fits what he is trying to do.

Robbins is officially going to Vanderbilt. Best wishes. Glad he didn't choose Iowa.

Vanderbilt has a highly rated center out of high school coming next year also, Lee Dort (who the Gophers had offered). Will be interesting how it plays out.

Vanderbilt has a highly rated center out of high school coming next year also, Lee Dort (who the Gophers had offered). Will be interesting how it plays out.
If Liam stays healthy, he will get plenty of playing time. He does seem to have a history of injuries, though. Obviously the ankle at the end of the season was brutal, but he also had another one preseason that slowed him out of the gate. Vandy is wise to have another one available, but at this level, experience is valuable.

Anyone have any info on rebracca? Looked really good last year against us. Want him here bad

NCAA voted today to pass the one-time transfer rule.

Starting next season, major college football and basketball players will be permitted to transfer one time before graduating without being required to sit out a year of competition.

The NCAA Division I Council voted Wednesday to changed the long-standing rule that has often deterred players in high-profile sports from switching schools, two people with knowledge of the council's decision told The Associated Press.

The people spoke on condition of anonymity because two-day meeting was still in session and the council's decisions would not become official until it ends Thursday. The Athletic first reported the council's vote.
The so-called one-time exception has been available to athletes in other NCAA sports for years, allowing them to transfer and play immediately. Athletes in football, men's and women's basketball, men's ice hockey and baseball have not had that available to them without asking the NCAA for a special waiver and claiming a hardship caused the need for a transfer.

Starting this fall semester, all athletes will be operating under the same rules: Transfers will be allowed to play right away.

Those in fall and winter sports must notify their schools they intend to transfer by May 1; in spring sports, the notification date will be July 1. The notification dates begin in 2022.

For this year, athletes in all sports will be required to notify their schools about their intent to transfer by July 1.

I see nothing in here about a second blanket exception.

Liam has already transferred one-time, from Drake to Minnesota. That he got a waiver to play right away (presumably from the first blanket exception), does not mean that he didn't transfer.

Unless he gets another waiver, he will have to sit. Prove me wrong.

Liam has already transferred one-time, from Drake to Minnesota. That he got a waiver to play right away (presumably from the first blanket exception), does not mean that he didn't transfer.

Just because a formal announcement on the transfer situation happening right now has not been made doesn't mean that one won't be made in the future. Obviously, no one can prove you wrong at this point but undoing all of the transfers that don't meet this qualification will cause a lot of headaches all around so I'm betting the NCAA won't take that path.

Just because a formal announcement on the transfer situation happening right now has not been made doesn't mean that one won't be made in the future. Obviously, no one can prove you wrong at this point but undoing all of the transfers that don't meet this qualification will cause a lot of headaches all around so I'm betting the NCAA won't take that path.
Nothing would be undone.

You transfer because you want to be at a different school, as a student athlete. Right?

People really need to get this straight: a transfer, in of itself =/= immediate eligibility. They are two entirely separate things that need no linking.

Secondly, a lot of the portal transfers happening are guys who would be transferring for the first time.

Not the second time in two years, like Liam is doing.

I say Liam sits. Unless he decides to come back to the Gophers.

Agreed, it doesn't specifically address circumstances where there has already been an undergraduate transfer. Unclear whether that is to be interpreted as allowing or disallowing a second undergraduate transfer, but there either is or will have to be a determination of that point. As it relates specifically to Liam, do we know if he is close enough to a degree to qualify as a grad transfer by next fall?

Secondly, a lot of the portal transfers happening are guys who would be transferring for the first time.

Not the second time in two years, like Liam is doing.

I say Liam sits. Unless he decides to come back to the Gophers.
Agreed, it doesn't specifically address circumstances where there has already been an undergraduate transfer. Unclear whether that is to be interpreted as allowing or disallowing a second undergraduate transfer, but there either is or will have to be a determination of that point. As it relates specifically to Liam, do we know if he is close enough to a degree to qualify as a grad transfer by next fall?
Some clarity from a document entitled "NCAA Proposed Four-Year Uniform Transfer Eligibility Exception Question and Answer Resource" (Updated March 26, 2021, before the rule was adopted):

Question No. 4: Would the uniform transfer eligibility exception be available to a student-athlete who previously transferred from another four-year institution(s)?

Answer: No. The uniform transfer eligibility exception would only apply to a student-athlete transferring from another four-year institution for the first time, either as undergraduate or preserved for use as a postgraduate student [unless the discontinued/non-sponsored sport exception applied to the previous four-year transfer (see NCAA Division I Bylaw 14.5.5.2.6)]. Similarly, the exception would not be available to a 4-2-4-4 transfer student-athlete unless their first four-year institution discontinued or did not sponsor the student-athlete’s sport consistent with Bylaw 14.5.5.2.6.

It appears that the waiver process will still be open to those who wish to transfer a second time and it is unclear how that process will be impacted, if at all, by the new rule allowing a first transfer without penalty.

Liam will need a waiver to play for Vandy in 2021-22. No guarantee he’ll get it. Though losing Pitino and his uncle as coaches here probably helps his case.

Not too late for him to accept the sure thing: playing here next season.

What about Peyton Willis does this apply to him to
"Super" Grad Transfer Lol or so I hope, no way they would make him sit in his final year of eligibility but you never know, he did already redshirt a year due to transfer the first time he was here.

Top Bottom