Fresh Start Liam Robbins Thread

Every NBA scout i have talked to with will tell you they know that certain college coaches develop players far better than other college coaches. Only a fool thinks that it does not matter who you play for as far as development.
I think that is especially important for Liam. He is still very raw and has progressed so much every year. Another year with the right coaching and he can improve his draft stock tremendously. It is time for Liam to break away from his family. He needs to look for a team that can develop his style of play. I am not familiar with the good big guy coaches. Isn't coach Thorson good at developing bigs?

How does Garza compare to Ethan Happ? I thought given Happ’s college production he’d be a 2nd rounder. Boy was I wrong. Obviously Garza has the 3 point range that Happ didn’t have but they both lay bricks at the FT line.
Again, a couple of very good college players that could dominate a game, but do not fit in the NBA. Kinda like Murphy at the U.

Liam to ISU?

I'm a Cyclone alumnus and even I'd be hard pressed to advise him to do that. He'll have a dozen better options and chances of landing in Ames are pretty much zero. Staying with the Gophers would be better than ISU right now. Kinda think he's going to be a Hawkeye which will make both the Gopher and Cyclone fan bases unhappy.

I think the post here saying he should have stayed at Drake another year was probably the best retroactive hot take.

Anthony Bennett #1 pick, Kwame Brown #1 pick, Nik Stakus #8, Jan Vessly #6, Marvin Bagley

Good list, let me add a few more

Michael Olowokandi #1 (played 9 years but he was bad. Also, Glen Taylor said nobody on the team liked him so that's why they had to trade him)

Darko Milicic #2

Rafael Araujo #8

Dragan Bender #4

I think that is especially important for Liam. He is still very raw and has progressed so much every year. Another year with the right coaching and he can improve his draft stock tremendously. It is time for Liam to break away from his family. He needs to look for a team that can develop his style of play. I am not familiar with the good big guy coaches. Isn't coach Thorson good at developing bigs?
My question would be who has Thorson developed. Being a good coach and having that reputation is nice and all but show me results. Maybe he did well 25 years ago with John Thomas or something but if I’m looking to improve I want a coach that has proven results. Liam should find that for himself. Maybe Ed Conroy is the guy but seems like he may not be also

My posts were about Vanderbilt as a destination vs. Iowa. The ship has sailed on him staying at Minnesota so there was no reason to discuss that.

Well that's concerning. If Liam doesn't feel the new regime can improve his game, what does that say about our chances of getting quality bigs in future classes.

This kid is tied closely to his family. He goes to Vandy or Iowa for that reason. He is certainly not NBA ready. He may never get there. I hope he does. Our current coaching staff will recruit 4s & 5s just fine. There is no reason to believe that they can’t.

Well that's concerning. If Liam doesn't feel the new regime can improve his game, what does that say about our chances of getting quality bigs in future classes.
I think his leaving has to do more with the fact they let his uncle go, and he’s obviously loyal to his uncle.

I think his leaving has to do more with the fact they let his uncle go, and he’s obviously loyal to his uncle.
This. Notice the timing of his entering the portal, just before his uncle moved to Vanderbilt, and his choices of potential schools close to family. Hard to blame him. This makes far more sense than Kalscheur, which makes almost zero sense to me.

Vanderbilt, let’s go!!! It’s really funny Iowa can’t get an Iowa native over Vanderbilt lol

Vanderbilt, let’s go!!! It’s really funny Iowa can’t get an Iowa native over Vanderbilt lol
What will Liam do when it is time to move on to the next level....will Conroy have to get a job somewhere in order for Liam to go?....Would hate to see him have to strike out on his own again, how did he ever survive those years at Drake without Uncle Ed by his side?

On the plus side, if he isn't going to be playing for us I am glad he is leaving the Big Ten.

Disappointed to see Robbins leave, but very happy he's headed to Vanderbilt and not Iowa.
Bad news is that makes the competition for Rebraka, with Iowa tougher. Overall though, it's good that he is there and not with Iowa.

Honestly I can't see Johnson sticking around for another year at this point with this much turnover. Besides Ihnen and Gatch there's nobody he played with here and not much reason to come back.

As I wrote previously, I think this is a better destination for him: more prestigious school, much better location, and a better record of placing players in the NBA this century.

Honestly I can't see Johnson sticking around for another year at this point with this much turnover. Besides Ihnen and Gatch there's nobody he played with here and not much reason to come back.
Is the argument that he doesn't want to play on a team full of people he doesn't know? There was no one here he had played with before at all. At this year he'd at least have Gach and Ihnen.

Well, he hasn't entered the portal so far and if he really wanted to do that he probably would have done it by now. There was no one Johnson played with here when he transferred in so I suspect that's not a major factor for him. What we don't know for sure is whether Johnson will decide to play college basketball next season but, at this point, I think he's more likely than not to stay here if he does.

Is the argument that he doesn't want to play on a team full of people he doesn't know? There was no one here he had played with before at all. At this year he'd at least have Gach and Ihnen.

Yeah, that's an obvious hole in that argument. Besides, for all we know, Johnson may not have liked most of those guys who transferred.

Would you want to play for Angry Fran? Endure all that abuse for a 1st or 2nd round exit?

On the surface, no, but it must be said that he had only two players enter the portal and one was a walk-on.

What will Liam do when it is time to move on to the next level....will Conroy have to get a job somewhere in order for Liam to go?....Would hate to see him have to strike out on his own again, how did he ever survive those years at Drake without Uncle Ed by his side?

You talk like Vanderbilt is chopped liver. It certainly is not. If you asked 100 people who have a clue about US geography and the relative rank of educational institutions to pick between Vanderbilt and Iowa, probably 75 would pick Vanderbilt.

You're also better off playing in the SEC if you want a pro career. More NBA players come from there than the Big Ten.

Top Bottom