Fresh Start Liam Robbins Thread

Offensively he did. That was never the question. The defensive issues will keep from being a first rounder or even drafted at all. Never improved on that end.
Garza didnt/doesn't have the tools to improve on that end.

Back to the basic question about Liam -- if he transfers will he have to sit a year? If so, I think he stays; if not, then I think he leaves and ends up at Vandy.

My own feeling is that the NCAA will let them all through this year since that's the line of least resistance. They already did something unprecedented this year by granting a 5th year of eligibility.

Offensively he did. That was never the question. The defensive issues will keep from being a first rounder or even drafted at all. Never improved on that end.

I think some team will draft him on the second round. Some players drafted on the second round are overseas stash players who never play for the teams who drafted them so why not use a second round pick for a two-time All American. Of course, years ago when they still respected the body of college work he would have been drafted much higher.

Garza is not that much different from a Tyler Hansbrough who was drafted #13 after a great four year college career. That was 12 years ago and they have even less respect for a college resume now than they did then but I still think some team takes a flyer on him.

Yep, but this is the summer of free love, man. Your girl leaving you for your best frenemy down the block.

We have to find ourselves some new girls then! They don't have to be gorgeous, they just have to be willing and functional.

Robbins was the one guy that could have held next season together.....so I am with you on keeping him. However....I disagree about choosing a "school that can get him a better look for the NBA". Really don't like that angle at all. It's basically the excuse made for Minnesota guys leaving the state to go play for a blue blood. In my opinion....if you have NBA talent....you'll get attention regardless of where you play. And it's not like scouts have to hunt down Casa de Autos live streams to see Big Ten games.
100%. I thought with bringing in the mid major guards Robbins would really make them more effective since it would help get them open if they understand spacing. Giving them the opportunity to use their shooting (assuming that is why they were pursued). He would also help erase blow bys. If we have mid major guards that are going to have to get themselves open or sticking on D, that is a recipe for trouble.

We have to find ourselves some new girls then! They don't have to be gorgeous, they just have to be willing and functional.
They always leave us after four years anyway.

Hindsight is 20/20.

In hindsight: Liam should stayed at Drake last year.

- he continues to develop and play for the same staff that got him to this level in the first place
- would've got to play in the NCAA tournament
- probably would've won the MVC with him
- swap places with Loyola in the bracket, get a chance to take down Illinois, stands to reason they'd have had as good a chance?

Then he could've transferred to Iowa, which I'm sure is his dream school, for 2021-22.

But instead, he jumped a year too early, played on a team that sunk like a rock, no March Madness, and now he will come off looking like an honorless prick for transferring to a rival, if he goes to Iowa.

I think some team will draft him on the second round. Some players drafted on the second round are overseas stash players who never play for the teams who drafted them so why not use a second round pick for a two-time All American. Of course, years ago when they still respected the body of college work he would have been drafted much higher.

Garza is not that much different from a Tyler Hansbrough who was drafted #13 after a great four year college career. That was 12 years ago and they have even less respect for a college resume now than they did then but I still think some team takes a flyer on him.
You just compared Garza with Hansborough? Have you lost your mind? Their games couldn’t be any different. Garza is incredibly skilled offensively, is a dead-eye three point shooter, and a go-to scorer. Psycho T got by on hustle and brute strength. Absolutely no comparison. Garza will have a lengthy NBA career.

You just compared Garza with Hansborough? Have you lost your mind? Their games couldn’t be any different. Garza is incredibly skilled offensively, is a dead-eye three point shooter, and a go-to scorer. Psycho T got by on hustle and brute strength. Absolutely no comparison. Garza will have a lengthy NBA career.
Psycho T played in a different Era and was 10X the athlete Garza isn't going to be able to defend at all in the NBA.

I wasn't comparing their games. I was comparing their college careers and their statures at the end of their careers. My guess is that Garza won't be drafted as high as Hansborough.

And I'm not out of my mind either.

Like burning down an old barn that was quickly rotting away, and building a shiny brand new one...

One of the local sports talk stations in Des Moines had one of the Hawkeye beat writers on this morning, and he was extremely confident that Robbins will be in an Iowa uniform this fall. That didn't make me feel good at all.
If he leaves fine but if he goes to a Big 10 school he should wait two years if possible.

Robbins was the one guy that could have held next season together.....so I am with you on keeping him. However....I disagree about choosing a "school that can get him a better look for the NBA". Really don't like that angle at all. It's basically the excuse made for Minnesota guys leaving the state to go play for a blue blood. In my opinion....if you have NBA talent....you'll get attention regardless of where you play. And it's not like scouts have to hunt down Casa de Autos live streams to see Big Ten games.
NBA teams draft on talent and skill but they strongly believe some coaches are far better at developing players then others and the players believe it as well.

Like burning down an old barn that was quickly rotting away, and building a shiny brand new one...

One of the local sports talk stations in Des Moines had one of the Hawkeye beat writers on this morning, and he was extremely confident that Robbins will be in an Iowa uniform this fall. That didn't make me feel good at all.
Another reason to hate Iowa. Not that I really needed another reason.

They have Internet in North Dakota now???
Campus internet was the best game in town in 1996. Everybody else was watching their screen load horizontal line by horizontal line. Now we have microcomputers in our hands. I think I'd still like to go back to that time, but only if I got to know what I know now.

NBA teams draft on talent and skill but they strongly believe some coaches are far better at developing players then others and the players believe it as well.

Bullshit. Maybe players buy that line of crap....but there's no way that NBA scouts are as stupid as the typical rube.

Bullshit. Maybe players buy that line of crap....but there's no way that NBA scouts are as stupid as the typical rube.
Every NBA scout i have talked to with will tell you they know that certain college coaches develop players far better than other college coaches. Only a fool thinks that it does not matter who you play for as far as development.

Firing Pitino dropped a nuke on the entire program it seems. Some would say that's a good thing.

Anthony Bennett #1 pick, Kwame Brown #1 pick, Nik Stakus #8, Jan Vessly #6, Marvin Bagley

If he has the pro career or Raef LeFrenz, Nick Collison, Tyler Hansborough he should be overjoyed. I don't see that cause he is slow and a plodder and those guys strike me as being better athletes than him. I see him sticking for a few years and then becoming a Euro vagabond.

Garza isn't going to be able to defend at all in the NBA.
How does Garza compare to Ethan Happ? I thought given Happ’s college production he’d be a 2nd rounder. Boy was I wrong. Obviously Garza has the 3 point range that Happ didn’t have but they both lay bricks at the FT line.

How does Garza compare to Ethan Happ? I thought given Happ’s college production he’d be a 2nd rounder. Boy was I wrong. Obviously Garza has the 3 point range that Happ didn’t have but they both lay bricks at the FT line.
Huh? Bricklayer? He shot 72% from the line. Did anyone watch him play this year? He was literally unstoppable....by the same kind of guys that are going to get drafted in front of him. Makes no sense.

Well, OK, but Vanderbilt has placed 5 guys who were 6'10" and over in the NBA this century including two who are active currently. Iowa has placed 2 this century and one only played 3 games while the other played 46 games.

I expect Garza will get there but he was player of the year and likely a two time first team All American.

I'll give some credit to McCaffrey for his development but Adam Woodbury was a higher ranked recruit than Garza and he sure didn't develop impressively starting at center for four years under McCaffrey.

Does BJ, Thorson or Kemp have any history of developing bigs?

Garza will be a 12th man in the NBA but serves a purpose and kudos to him. All time great college player.

Every NBA scout i have talked to with will tell you they know that certain college coaches develop players far better than other college coaches. Only a fool thinks that it does not matter who you play for as far as development.
For this argument to have merit, there would have to more NBA players for more years from those coaches. Is that so?

Otherwise, what good is being "developed better" if it doesn't get you any more career success than another guy who wasn't?

Huh? Bricklayer? He shot 72% from the line. Did anyone watch him play this year? He was literally unstoppable....by the same kind of guys that are going to get drafted in front of him. Makes no sense.

The guys in the NBA aren't the Brandon Johnson's of the world and he simply doesn't have the speed to be more than a end of the bench guy - which is sill an awesome life compared to 99.99% of any one else's.

I stand by my previous post -

If he has the pro career or Raef LeFrenz, Nick Collison, Tyler Hansborough he should be overjoyed. I don't see that cause he is slow and a plodder and those guys strike me as being better athletes than him. I see him sticking for a few years and then becoming a Euro vagabond.

Totally depends on what you are wanting to do. Graduate school - depending on area of interest, your undergrad matters a lot. Business interests, your business school degree will make a huge difference to what doors are open. Teacher, social worker.... doesn't really matter. Vanderbilt degree could make a huge difference in many areas over an Iowa degree, but if Liam wants to be an accountant Tippie at Iowa is the place to be.
He hasn’t been at a school long enough to get a degree. Period. Most schools require 40+ credits at their university to get a degree. My guess? Throw in degree requirements there is no way he gets a BS from anywhere but drake or Minnesota.

I think Graza is prime example of a player that can do well in college, but will not be able to match up with all of the talent he could see in the NBA.

Top Bottom