Fresh Start Liam Robbins Thread

Urbandale

Reaction score
Like burning down an old barn that was quickly rotting away, and building a shiny brand new one...

One of the local sports talk stations in Des Moines had one of the Hawkeye beat writers on this morning, and he was extremely confident that Robbins will be in an Iowa uniform this fall. That didn't make me feel good at all.

Like burning down an old barn that was quickly rotting away, and building a shiny brand new one...

One of the local sports talk stations in Des Moines had one of the Hawkeye beat writers on this morning, and he was extremely confident that Robbins will be in an Iowa uniform this fall. That didn't make me feel good at all.
Now that Garza is gone, I can't blame him for wanting to play with a coach that teaches players to feed into the post.

I would take Vanderbilt if I were him. Far more prestigious degree (and my undergrad degree is from Iowa so that's not old-fashioned Gopher fan Iowa hate speaking) in a much better location. They've also had significantly more players enter the NBA than Iowa this century.

The only advantage Iowa has is being closer to home.

I've been holding out hope that Robbins would return to Minnesota, but the beat writer said he'd talked to him the day before and the only two schools on the menu were Vanderbilt and Iowa.

He also indicated that Liam has a sister, with whom he's very close, who has special needs.

Ugh.

I would take Vanderbilt if I were him. Far more prestigious degree (and my undergrad degree is from Iowa so that's not old-fashioned Gopher fan Iowa hate speaking) in a much better location. They've also had significantly more players enter the NBA than Iowa this century.

Luka Garza showed impressive development at Iowa. That has to be encouraging for a guy like Liam too. I’ll hate it if he goes there, but I won’t be confused by it.

Luka Garza showed impressive development at Iowa. That has to be encouraging for a guy like Liam too. I’ll hate it if he goes there, but I won’t be confused by it.
Offensively he did. That was never the question. The defensive issues will keep from being a first rounder or even drafted at all. Never improved on that end.

Well, OK, but Vanderbilt has placed 5 guys who were 6'10" and over in the NBA this century including two who are active currently. Iowa has placed 2 this century and one only played 3 games while the other played 46 games.

I expect Garza will get there but he was player of the year and likely a two time first team All American.

I'll give some credit to McCaffrey for his development but Adam Woodbury was a higher ranked recruit than Garza and he sure didn't develop impressively starting at center for four years under McCaffrey.

Liam is one I really wanted to keep. He has much more NBA potential than Garza. The reality is that if Liam continues to play after college, it will not be by his sister. It would be in his best interest to choose a school that can get him a better look for the NBA. I do not think that is Iowa.

The prestige of a degree is overrated, usually doesn't matter where you get it

As you advance in your career, not so much. For that first job, often matters depending upon the job.

It really matters what you do with it, but some degrees open more doors and let you start at a different rung.

Well, OK, but Vanderbilt has placed 5 guys who were 6'10" and over in the NBA this century including two who are active currently. Iowa has placed 2 this century and one only played 3 games while the other played 46 games.

I expect Garza will get there but he was player of the year and likely a two time first team All American.

I'll give some credit to McCaffrey for his development but Adam Woodbury was a higher ranked recruit than Garza and he sure didn't develop impressively starting at center for four years under McCaffrey.
Yeah, I'm not arguing that Iowa is his best option, I would just understand if the combination of Garza's development and the fact he grew up there makes Iowa appealing to him.

I can't blame him for wanting to play with a coach that teaches players to feed into the post.

Well said although I think Robbins got far more feeds than most Gopher centers during Pitino's tenure. Robbins is gone but we may have a coach who stresses feeding the post now. We'll see.

This thread lacks vaccine talk.

Liam should leave Minnesota. Go play for Stackhouse and get tons of time for the Commodores. He will look better in that conference not facing some absolute monsters night in and night out. Liam can stroke it a bit, athletic enough to be a stretch 5 and defends well enough. Blocks shots at a high rate. Will always struggle against the Cockburn types but who doesn’t?

Now that Garza is gone, I can't blame him for wanting to play with a coach that teaches players to feed into the post.
He is so weak compared to Garza though. Could be a big disappointment for the Iowa fans.

Totally depends on what you are wanting to do. Graduate school - depending on area of interest, your undergrad matters a lot. Business interests, your business school degree will make a huge difference to what doors are open. Teacher, social worker.... doesn't really matter. Vanderbilt degree could make a huge difference in many areas over an Iowa degree, but if Liam wants to be an accountant Tippie at Iowa is the place to be.

Liam is one I really wanted to keep. He has much more NBA potential than Garza. The reality is that if Liam continues to play after college, it will not be by his sister. It would be in his best interest to choose a school that can get him a better look for the NBA. I do not think that is Iowa.

Robbins was the one guy that could have held next season together.....so I am with you on keeping him. However....I disagree about choosing a "school that can get him a better look for the NBA". Really don't like that angle at all. It's basically the excuse made for Minnesota guys leaving the state to go play for a blue blood. In my opinion....if you have NBA talent....you'll get attention regardless of where you play. And it's not like scouts have to hunt down Casa de Autos live streams to see Big Ten games.

He is so weak compared to Garza though. Could be a big disappointment for the Iowa fans.
Not saying he will be Garza by any means, but he was basically an all conference player before he got hurt. The Gophers were also incredibly inept at feeding the post/rollers to the basket. Robbins already a better defender than Garza though. Hard to replace an all-time college player like Garza, I don't think Hawkeye fans would mind Robbins as a 1-2 yr replacement at center.

Well said although I think Robbins got far more feeds than most Gopher centers during Pitino's tenure. Robbins is gone but we may have a coach who stresses feeding the post now. We'll see.
Some of that was on Robbins as he didn't always have the best of hands after receiving a pass, but he seemed to always be working to get open and was seldom rewarded. When he was, good things usually happened.

Totally depends on what you are wanting to do. Graduate school - depending on area of interest, your undergrad matters a lot. Business interests, your business school degree will make a huge difference to what doors are open. Teacher, social worker.... doesn't really matter. Vanderbilt degree could make a huge difference in many areas over an Iowa degree, but if Liam wants to be an accountant Tippie at Iowa is the place to be.
Totally agree with you that schools make a huge difference in many fields of work. The alumni connections are very valuable.

Back to the basic question about Liam -- if he transfers will he have to sit a year? If so, I think he stays; if not, then I think he leaves and ends up at Vandy.

Top Bottom