Fleck prediction

I don’t hope he gets hit by a bus I just think he’s a shitty football coach. I don’t see how anyone watching this year would think otherwise so guys like you dumbfound me a bit and make me lol. It’s like the Vegas Vacation scene where the dealer invites Clark out back for a kick in the nuts—watching the games. Someone else say don’t watch— fans watch which is what I do. I’d guess I’m in the majority now overall that think PJ either is or may be a failed experiment. Time for change. Time for Saturdays to be fun again. Whatever he had in ‘19 is long gone.

When was Saturday fun before Fleck took over?

I’ve hardly missed a home game since Foggie’s freshman year. I’ve just watched us win 9 games two years straight for the first time in my life. I’m not a Pollyanna. I have high expectations like everyone else. I just also happen to have perspective which most on here lack.
They won those in the Big Ten West. He had a huge advantage with that. I also have been to home games since that time, and I don’t see it the same as you. He had opportunities in front of him being in this division no other coach had, and he has done nothing with it. I’m not calling for him to be fired, but things need to change dramatically because now he will not have the benefit of playing in an awful division. His wins against Wisconsin are much more that WI came back to the pack than us rising up to where they were. Still fun to beat them, but be honest about the division he has been in the last few years.

Ah, new to Gopher football like I figured. This isn't a plug and play institution, you should look up the program history from 1967-2017. You're watching a golden age for our program and the termination of Fleck is a guaranteed return to subpar football compared to our current standards.
But for ‘19 PJ is no better than Mason. Mason was here what 10-12 years? Plus, his offenses were so fun to watch it dampened the D being slow and bad and the collapses he was prone to. Golden Age makes me
LOL again. No comments on the players I named that PJ inherited from Kill-Claeys. Some of those guys were really, really good— better overall than what PJ has rolled out; sans Morgan ‘19, Bateman for a stretch and Mo every game.

I had a blast when Mason was the coach, for many even when Brewster was coach, and I had a blast while Jerry and Claeys were coaching - their defenses were fun to watch, and they left PJ a lot of the core talent he did well with in 2019. In fact, it was a blast while Jerry was here. 2014 was a blast and we had packed houses almost every week in 2015. The best attendance we have ever seen at the Bank other than the first two seasons came in 2013, 2014, 2015 (highest attendance). PJ’s teams, other than 2019 when we really only beat one good team during the regular season, have not been exciting, fun football. And, look at our attendance, he hasn’t been selling the place out.

He has a contract that we all know is a legally binding agreement. He will be coaching a few years.

For context, almost all the teams in the West are tied with Minnesota for wins, losses, and dumps.

I've done my roasting of Fleck over the weeks -- 3 horrible losses -- and yet he's never experienced multiple down years.

QB is so important. Was this the develop the QB year to suffer through?

Another problem coming is Gophers have a brutal schedule next season in a very different conference. Brutal.

Need better QB play, better defense -- lots of injuries too. How many to RB's? How many on defense in this game?

Today they were smoked by a bottom team.

But for ‘19 PJ is no better than Mason. Mason was here what 10-12 years? Plus, his offenses were so fun to watch it dampened the D being slow and bad and the collapses he was prone to. Golden Age makes me
LOL again. No comments on the players I named that PJ inherited from Kill-Claeys. Some of those guys were really, really good— better overall than what PJ has rolled out; sans Morgan ‘19, Bateman for a stretch and Mo every game.
Okay, so rehire Kill because he could recruit pro players? Also, firing the head coach isn't some magical bandaid because when you plug in the intangibles involved with this university being part of the hiring process, you're not going to get the second coming of Urban Meyer or Kirby Smart. We're fking Minnesota.

Fleck's record is significantly better than Mason's was, by a long shot. Glen ran the exact same offense PJ runs and was here for nine years. Mo was by far more fun to watch than Marion and Maroney, their legacy is in the early 00s resurgence of Minnesota football. Mo was the biggest impact player we've ever had at the rb position. I dont think you ever watched a game with any investment prior to 2019.

Last edited:

You must have a short memory maybe you missed the article about MB3 and Maroney this week. Come on, that O was the best of times if you didn’t enjoy that I got nothing for you. We lost in some incredibly frustrating ways under Mason, but it was overall fun and a blessing. AAK’s senior year was another and he overall was fun and the Cupito years overall had some bright spots and fun games. I’m not paying for Glenn. I’m just calling bullshit on the fact that people think these are the best of times.

I had a blast when Mason was the coach, for many even when Brewster was coach, and I had a blast while Jerry and Claeys were coaching - their defenses were fun to watch, and they left PJ a lot of the core talent he did well with in 2019. In fact, it was a blast while Jerry was here. 2014 was a blast and we had packed houses almost every week in 2015. The best attendance we have ever seen at the Bank other than the first two seasons came in 2013, 2014, 2015 (highest attendance). PJ’s teams, other than 2019 when we really only beat one good team during the regular season, have not been exciting, fun football. And, look at our attendance, he hasn’t been selling the place out.

You know how I know you're full of shit? You are praising a bunch of head coaches (outside of Mason.....which was nearly two decades ago now) who had nowhere near the success that Fleck has had. Maybe you were drinking a lot more back then?

You know how I know you're full of shit? You are praising a bunch of head coaches (outside of Mason.....which was nearly two decades ago now) who had nowhere near the success that Fleck has had. Maybe you were drinking a lot more back then?
The comparative difficulty of the Big Ten today is so watered down compared to the past is so easy to see again I don’t understand when people don’t.

You must have a short memory maybe you missed the article about MB3 and Maroney this week. Come on, that O was the best of times if you didn’t enjoy that I got nothing for you. We lost in some incredibly frustrating ways under Mason, but it was overall fun and a blessing. AAK’s senior year was another and he overall was fun and the Cupito years overall had some bright spots and fun games. I’m not paying for Glenn. I’m just calling bullshit on the fact that people think these are the best of times.

So nearly twenty years ago? A lateral move in terms of success. Maybe you have a short memory.....but Bateman/Johnson/Morgan made for a pretty memorable offense just a few years back.....while also ending the year as a top ten team.

So nearly twenty years ago? A lateral move in terms of success. Maybe you have a short memory.....but Bateman/Johnson/Morgan made for a pretty memorable offense just a few years back.....while also ending the year as a top ten team.
‘19 was great. What happened?

The comparative difficulty of the Big Ten today is so watered down compared to the past is so easy to see again I don’t understand when people don’t.

That's a lame argument and wrong. I've noticed that the posters bitching the most are newer gopherhole members. My guess younger folks that don't remember how bad this program was and for how long. Instant gratification crowd.

That's a lame argument and wrong. I've noticed that the posters bitching the most are newer gopherhole members. My guess younger folks that don't remember how bad this program was and for how long. Instant gratification crowd.
Purdue today and Purdue of Brees and Allstott. Wisconsin and Iowa today versus Wisconsin under Alvarez and Iowa pre son OC. Come on.

What happened after Barber and Maroney?
Defense got worse, and Mason got fired. I was answering a question about when gophers football was fun, not about whether it was perfect or even above average.

I don’t think he should be let go, I wasn’t sold when he was hired, but warmed the last few years with the occasional frustrations. I remember him saying something, when he was hired, to the effect that our PTSD would be gone because the past was the past. Unfortunately what went around came back. PTSD once again.( I mean no disrespect to folks with true PTSD.)
The rope is considerably shorter than a couple months ago though, the other thing is his sideline demeanor has changed, he looks like he does not want to be there. Maybe he is burnt out, something is definitely wrong, I could see him resigning before being let go at this point, next year though….

Purdue today and Purdue of Brees and Allstott. Wisconsin and Iowa today versus Wisconsin under Alvarez and Iowa pre son OC. Come on.

Take a look at the conference then compared to now. There was a bit more parity back then.....but the conference was in no way stronger. If anything.....the eight game conference schedule back then inflated team records.

Defense got worse, and Mason got fired. I was answering a question about when gophers football was fun, not about whether it was perfect or even above average.

It's almost as though middling programs don't continue to ascend year after year? Take a look around the college landscape. This isn't unique to Minnesota. You try and get a coach that can bring stability to the program. Sometimes the team is going to have down years. Panicking over what looks like a 5-7 win year after winning nine.....two years in a row......is asinine.

It's almost as though middling programs don't continue to ascend year after year? Take a look around the college landscape. This isn't unique to Minnesota. You try and get a coach that can bring stability to the program. Sometimes the team is going to have down years. Panicking over what looks like a 5-7 win year after winning nine.....two years in a row......is asinine.
Careful, you're being too reasonable. No room for that here, you might be accused of accepting mediocrity

It goes back to whether the conference is close to as good now as it was—which we won’t agree upon. I truly think that PJs nine wins seasons are a bit of a facade. Do you enjoy watching these games and how PJ goes about his business on Saturdays?

Okay, so rehire Kill because he could recruit pro players? Also, firing the head coach isn't some magical bandaid because when you plug in the intangibles involved with this university being part of the hiring process, you're not going to get the second coming of Urban Meyer or Kirby Smart. We're fking Minnesota.

Fleck's record is significantly better than Mason's was, by a long shot. Glen ran the exact same offense PJ runs and was here for nine years. Mo was by far more fun to watch than Marion and Maroney, their legacy is in the early 00s resurgence of Minnesota football. Mo was the biggest impact player we've ever had at the rb position. I dont think you ever watched a game with any investment prior to 2019.
Mason played in a whole different kind of conference than PJ has had the benefit of playing in. That’s not even close. He also inherited a much worse situation than PJ stepped into. It will be interesting to see what PJ does without the benefit of the awful West. My guess is he won’t do well, unfortunately.

And, while Mo was a good running back, he was not in the same league as Maroney, Barber, Thompson. Did you ever watch a game before PJ was here saying something like Mo being the biggest impact player we’ve ever had? He was good, but c’mon.

Last edited:

Oh, lord. Mo was a great, great player but not in the ball park of the other two because he couldn’t break the big one — then our O would stall in big moments too often. 21 and 22 took it to the house. Now I know how dumb you are I almost missed this post but glad I didn’t. God help is with fans like you.

It goes back to whether the conference is close to as good now as it was—which we won’t agree upon. I truly think that PJs nine wins seasons are a bit of a facade. Do you enjoy watching these games and how PJ goes about his business on Saturdays?

I like winning more games than we lose. I wasn't having fun losing the Axe every single year. We're having a down year.....but PJ has provided the most stability and success we've had in two decades. Think I'd rather see if some of the pieces from this years team develop into something better next year before yelling to burn it to the ground.

I'd ve
Mason played in a whole different kind of conference than PJ has had the benefit of playing in. That’s not even close. He also inherited a much worse situation than PJ stepped into. It will be interesting to see what PJ does without the benefit of the awful West. My guess is he won’t do well, unfortunately
I'd venture that coaching college football in the late 90s to early 00s was much easier than it is today. You could put more time into strategy and game planning because analytics and the constant connectivity aspect of recruiting not being as much of a factor. I don't think there's a benefit of playing modern football compared to the past. The game is so much faster and with analytics its certainly a different beast. Technology alone has added a huge dynamic to the sport.

Oh, lord. Mo was a great, great player but not in the ball park of the other two because he couldn’t break the big one — then our O would stall in big moments too often. 21 and 22 took it to the house. Now I know how dumb you are I almost missed this post but glad I didn’t. God help is with fans like you.
🙄 Yes breaking the big one is so important when your backs only have the vision to get three yards when you need four. Trust me, junior, Mo saved us on more game sealing drives than Marion and Maroney combined. His stats and the wins associated with him proves it. And one of you old bastards get in here and back me up, because this guy who read a single article last week is acting like he knows more about the history of Gopher football than he should get credit for.

I like winning more games than we lose. I wasn't having fun losing the Axe every single year. We're having a down year.....but PJ has provided the most stability and success we've had in two decades. Think I'd rather see if some of the pieces from this years team develop into something better next year before yelling to burn it to the ground.
He has had the benefit of the West. We have the Axe because WI regressed, not because PJ has taken us to where they were. PJ had a fun 2019, and choked away making it something special. He took advantage of the talent Kill left him. He has done nothing since then.

Fleck has a good base. He just needs better teachers and a more creative approach to teaching. He's earned our patience.
While I tend to agree with being patient, my patience has almost been worn away PJ himself. Yes, he does need a more creative approach, but Fleck has done absolutely nothing to show he realizes that. He is perhaps one of the most inflexible coaches I’ve ever seen. He thinks he’s right to the point that he interferes in the offense. He refuses to fire a special teams coach whose units are consistently at the bottom of college football….for years now. And I could go on and on. The one proactive thing he’s done was fire Robb Smith. He needs to show more of that decisiveness with his special teams coach, as well as with himself and how he thinks this modern game of football should be played.

Top Bottom