Drew Peterson commits to Gophers!

Can Ihnen go from an 11 minute 4 pt guy to a 20-25 minute 10-11 point 6 board guy? I think so. His last 7 games he averaged 7 pts 5 boards in 19 minutes...

Yes, I do as well. Of course, he still needs to work on defensive focus. Even when he was doing well offensively and with rebounding, he still had some embarrassing moments on defense late in the season.

Tourney disappointments will happen to everyone that consistently, hell nearly yearly that make the tourney , especially as high seeds. Izzo and Wright have had theirs as well, Self. Heck Keady won the conference at least 6 times and never made the final 4. That is the nature of a tournament. UW, Duke and UVA have had extraordinary success. If you sustain it long enough your position for tourney success. Those loses sting fans and players whenever they occur but hurt less when you win it all like Duke and UVA. Perhaps UW has theirs coming. Perhaps Peterson, whom the Nadgers scouted numerous times in high school and never offered prospers at a unexpected level and the Gophers blow hot. We all watch because we do not know for certain what will happen.

Love the guys that want to be here but people need to remember that rice is a mid major and to not pay that much attention to highlights. The Murphy kid wants to sit a year. That is what i want for Peterson.

Forget about highlights for a moment, badgerboy. Guys are mentioning his ability to shoot his hands in his face and his ability to create his own shot. Shooting 41.1% from the field is good for a guard no matter where you play.

Forget about highlights for a moment, badgerboy. Guys are mentioning his ability to shoot his hands in his face and his ability to create his own shot. Shooting 41.1% from the field is good for a guard no matter where you play.
Actually his shooting % from two is 41% is average his 3 point % is also not great.

I think the biggest thing Peterson will provide is lineup flexibility. I do have questions about his defense, but at least he has length. Carr, Willis, and Gabe was admittedly a small lineup. I also think this will help Gabe. It's another player who can handle the ball. Hopefully this means he'll be more like Freshman Gabe than last year Gabe.

Very average and will likely take a dip moving up to the big ten.
Or they get better because he might get more open looks. Teams probably focused on him and Murphy. He will not be the focal part of our offense which maybe could lead to more open looks that he is not use to seeing. Just throwing that out there. Could go both ways

Tough to say. Looks like he can fill the wing in transition and could get some layups. The ball will not be in his hands as much which can lead to some poor shoots. Playing with a big like Robbins who can do some work on the block might get him some easy looks from three like Gabe last year.

Should be interesting.

His overall fg percent is 41% his 2pt fg % is 48% while his 3pt is 33%.
Thank you, very average numbers. under the efficiency numbers for winning, however he could improve dramatically under a better scheme and better screens. Also his passing and length could be huge assets. We are going to find out.

He has a herky jerky type game watching the highlights. Quick pull ups hesitations and a little bounce. Almost like watching some lefties play.

I know it is a highlight film thus I watched it to see how he creates to get shots off.

He has a herky jerky type game watching the highlights. Quick pull ups hesitations and a little bounce. Almost like watching some lefties play.

I know it is a highlight film thus I watched it to see how he creates to get shots off.
Wow. I was trying to put my finger on this. You nailed it.

only if he plays guard as he played the 3 at Rice
He actually handled the ball sometimes. According to Ryan James article, there were times he was bringing up ball and was the main press breaker at certain points.

Those loses sting fans and players whenever they occur but hurt less when you win it all like Duke and UVA.
Ya think?

In the last 12 years, these are the results for Duke, UVA, and UW when they've won the conference:
- Duke 2009-10 -> National Champions
- Virginia 2013-14 -> Sweet 16
- Virginia 2014-15 -> Round of 32
- Virginia 2017-18 -> Round of 64
- Virginia 2018-19 -> National Champions
- Wisc 2014-15 -> National Runner-up
- Wisc 2019-20 -> ???

Amazing that the fans can live with that ....

Thank you, very average numbers. under the efficiency numbers for winning, however he could improve dramatically under a better scheme and better screens. Also his passing and length could be huge assets. We are going to find out.
For some perspective, Akeem Springs was a 29.9% career 3-point shooter before coming to Minnesota. He shot 38.3% his Senior year.

Peterson's game has been most often compared to Amir Coffey. He can drive, pull up from mid-range and shoot the 3. What I like most is if you watch his film, he gets his shot off quickly like Blake Hoffarber did. He also looks to be a facilitator. Pitino and the staff showed him film of Coffey on his virtual visit to see how he would be used in the offense. He won't be a primary ball-handler like Coffey was, but he'll be able to create offense.

Pitino doesn't go get guys like Robbins and Peterson if he doesn't have full confidence 1 or both will be eligible this season, regardless of how it happens. What I find interesting is that many D-1 coaches have come out adamantly against the 1-time transfer, it essentially turns college hoops into free agency.

This team has second weekend NCAA Tournament potential if everyone is eligible, and if Curry can find a way to contribute in any meaningful on-court way.

Peterson's game has been most often compared to Amir Coffey. He can drive, pull up from mid-range and shoot the 3. What I like most is if you watch his film, he gets his shot off quickly like Blake Hoffarber did. He also looks to be a facilitator. Pitino and the staff showed him film of Coffey on his virtual visit to see how he would be used in the offense. He won't be a primary ball-handler like Coffey was, but he'll be able to create offense.

Pitino doesn't go get guys like Robbins and Peterson if he doesn't have full confidence 1 or both will be eligible this season, regardless of how it happens. What I find interesting is that many D-1 coaches have come out adamantly against the 1-time transfer, it essentially turns college hoops into free agency.

This team has second weekend NCAA Tournament potential if everyone is eligible, and if Curry can find a way to contribute in any meaningful on-court way.

Maybe there should be a rule that D-1 coaches cannot take new jobs, but once every 8 years, and they would need to go through some arbitrary board that randomly says they can or can't take a new job? I find it ironic that they are afraid of 'free agency' but yet they love it for themselves.

Correct. Its obviously gonna be a little more difficult playing in big ten, but mid majors are still D1 basketball. There are alot of good players out there and they all dont play in 2 conferences.

How was Peterson's defense? I obviously have only seen clips of his highlights, so most were either of him passing or shooting.
Will try and find the defensive efficiency ratings for all individuals. My grandson has it for every power 6 school and player. Watching both Murphy and Peterson it is clear they both have work to do. Nearly everyone of these guys can be a very good defender but so often the case it simply is not stressed enough or taught well.

Look at all the coaches that were asst. coaches for head coaches that preached great defense and still can not teach it themselves/

Correct, but I do think most great ones learn from other great ones.

I am worried about Peterson's ability to defend well in the B1G. I don't mean to be debbie downer, but I think he's off the bench right away at this point vs. guys like Ihnen or Williams who have experience in the conference and playing for this staff. Doesn't diminish the need for him and I'm glad he wants to be here, just think the adjustment will take some more time.

What I find interesting is that many D-1 coaches have come out adamantly against the 1-time transfer, it essentially turns college hoops into free agency.
Coaches would do all kinds of things, that they think would help them keep their jobs.

Coaches don't get to run things. That is true, everywhere, every sport.

Will try and find the defensive efficiency ratings for all individuals. My grandson has it for every power 6 school and player. Watching both Murphy and Peterson it is clear they both have work to do. Nearly everyone of these guys can be a very good defender but so often the case it simply is not stressed enough or taught well.
Totally agree. I think alot of d is will power. Also team defense can make an individual defense look worse than it is.

Top Bottom