Drew Peterson commits to Gophers!

Correct, but I do think most great ones learn from other great ones.

I am worried about Peterson's ability to defend well in the B1G. I don't mean to be debbie downer, but I think he's off the bench right away at this point vs. guys like Ihnen or Williams who have experience in the conference and playing for this staff. Doesn't diminish the need for him and I'm glad he wants to be here, just think the adjustment will take some more time.
Your right they do learn from great ones. The alarming part is the ones that did not or do not know how to teach it or just do not have that special teaching gift. Look at who Knight taught it to. K,Beard abs several others that credit him but his own son could not get it done. Out of K's guys, none got it so far. Gard is the only guy from Ryan's staff that got it. Self got it, but several others from the tree did not. Izzo got it from Jud, Painter from Keady but not as a equal.

Your right they do learn from great ones. The alarming part is the ones that did not or do not know how to teach it or just do not have that special teaching gift. Look at who Knight taught it to. K,Beard abs several others that credit him but his own son could not get it done. Out of K's guys, none got it so far. Gard is the only guy from Ryan's staff that got it. Self got it, but several others from the tree did not. Izzo got it from Jud, Painter from Keady but not as a equal.

Don't forget Huggins. Cronin, Martin, Underwood.

How was Peterson's defense? I obviously have only seen clips of his highlights, so most were either of him passing or shooting.

This assessment is on a pretty limited sample of video, but from what I have seen, this is his biggest issue. His height while helpful on O, it hurts him on D when guarding guards. I have seen him get caught in the wash and seen small quick guards go around him. He also has a tendency to be too upright; not stay in his stance. I feel like if he is playing 3/4 it will mitigate some of that, but then there is a strength issue. I have also seen him get caught in nowhere land watching the ball and leaving his man for an open shot. There is a lot to work on in this area, but I believe D is largely a question of want. Coaching and his want is going to be the final answer to this question.

How was Peterson's defense? I obviously have only seen clips of his highlights, so most were either of him passing or shooting.

I was wondering about this as well. To me, that's a bigger concern than what he'll provide on offense. Can he defend at a Big Ten level. If he consistantly scores 9 and gives up 13, that's not a good formula for staying on the floor and helping your team win.

Peterson had a nice game for USC today. Had 19 against BYU, 3-4 from 3 and and had 13 and 24 in his two games before. He is starting for them.

Peterson had a nice game for USC today. Had 19 against BYU, 3-4 from 3 and and had 13 and 24 in his two games before. He is starting for them.

Hes been impressive so far. But his 2 games previous were 12 and 13 pts not 24.

Thanks for sharing the update. I'm sad we missed out on him because I think he is a versatile"glue" player we could have used.

But if the trade was to get Gach, then it was worth it.

FWIW, the two USC games so far were against Cal Baptist and Montana. Weird stat lines too -- he had 9 rebounds in 30 minutes against Cal Baptist, and 0 rebounds in 23 minutes against Montana (also knocked down 2/3 threes).

So did I and I started the dang thread! When I saw the thread pop up I literally said to myself "who the F is Drew Peterson" (sadly the only one I could think of was Stacy Peterson's murderer).

Go Gophers!!
Still traumatized I flashed back to "How in the hell wasn't that offensive pass interference for that push on Nate Wright?"

Honestly, I got excited and confused about this new recruit that I've never heard about.

I thought the deal with Drew was that it appeared he would not be eligible to play this year since he didn't qualify for any waiver scenarios and they postponed the vote on one time transfers. With that, it made sense to go out to the west coast to play, and now he is eligible and playing? They might as well have passed the one time transfer rule since it seems as though that is basically how it played out.

So did I and I started the dang thread! When I saw the thread pop up I literally said to myself "who the F is Drew Peterson" (sadly the only one I could think of was Stacy Peterson's murderer).

Go Gophers!!

You don’t remember every thread you start? Sad. I assumed you did.

We missed out on this guy. He would have been high impact on this team and would have taken a lot of minutes from Gach and all the minutes from Mashburn. Lanky, good D, handles the ball, knocks down shots and can put the ball on the floor. Overall, in the 4 games I've watched him play, he's selfless with high bball iq.

Go Gophers!!

I’m sure this type of selective memory really helps your golf scores, too! 😁

We missed out on this guy. He would have been high impact on this team and would have taken a lot of minutes from Gach and all the minutes from Mashburn. Lanky, good D, handles the ball, knocks down shots and can put the ball on the floor. Overall, in the 4 games I've watched him play, he's selfless with high bball iq.

I didn't watch the games, but his stats from those games aren't that impressive and he's playing far worse competition. Gach and Mashburn would put up better numbers in the Pac-12 than in the Big 10.

Okay, talking out my ass even more than usual....never seen Peterson play. But, I have seen Gach play. Did do some homework on Peterson in April. So my take:

Gach is the better player. The problem is he is playing 18 steps below his average, especially since Illinois.
If he would get to normal and then elevate to elite he’d make the conversation seem silly. But right now...without much info...I hope Peterson is playing waaaay better than Gach because Gach is struggling mightily.

Okay, talking out my ass even more than usual....never seen Peterson play. But, I have seen Gach play. Did do some homework on Peterson in April. So my take:

Gach is the better player. The problem is he is playing 18 steps below his average, especially since Illinois.
If he would get to normal and then elevate to elite he’d make the conversation seem silly. But right now...without much info...I hope Peterson is playing waaaay better than Gach because Gach is struggling mightily.

Gach seems to be having major confidence issues. I bet he gets things figured out soon.

Gach will find his rythm again, not worried about him

He got a couple garbage hoops at the end of the last game hopefully that helps.

I would like to double down on my opinion that we missed out on this guy. Great 'glue' guy. Not particularly great at any one thing but is solid across the board. IMO, these are the type of guys we're missing. We generally have 3 or 4 solid players and then a bench made up of borderline Big Ten caliber players.

I would like to double down on my opinion that we missed out on this guy. Great 'glue' guy. Not particularly great at any one thing but is solid across the board. IMO, these are the type of guys we're missing. We generally have 3 or 4 solid players and then a bench made up of borderline Big Ten caliber players.
He bailed and went to USC. Johnson & Robbins did great for the U of M. Easy come, easy go on recruiting transfers.

Top Bottom