Drew Peterson commits to Gophers!

We're already in the wild west with transfers and it's going to get worse. Unless a freshman is totally over-matched like Freeman or Greenlee, I don't want anyone red-shirting or sitting out. We will rarely see the benefit on the other side.
I'd agree with you most of the time but I think Peterson is pretty much locked in for the next couple years even if he has to sit. He talks about the business school at Minnesota in his interview with Fuller which tells you he's not just focused on trying to play professional basketball. I'm sure if he played well enough he'd give it a shot, but he's got more of an awareness of what his future looks like.

I think he's one of those kids that still fits in that 4/5-year range and he really seems to be focused on finishing up at Minnesota.

I'd agree with you most of the time but I think Peterson is pretty much locked in for the next couple years even if he has to sit. He talks about the business school at Minnesota in his interview with Fuller which tells you he's not just focused on trying to play professional basketball. I'm sure if he played well enough he'd give it a shot, but he's got more of an awareness of what his future looks like.

I think he's one of those kids that still fits in that 4/5-year range and he really seems to be focused on finishing up at Minnesota.
That is why i want him to sit. He will be stronger and work towards a Masters.

That is part of the plan, do not be common. This things are by design and part of a plan.

I know Wisconsin wanted reuvers to RS but plan was scraped when they needed pf in lost season

I have no problem with RS if coach and player want too, but even you're beloved Badgers seem to do it less. Maybe they'll get back to it, which takes away from your pieces added comment

I wish this boards obsession with Wi would end.

I'd rather shoot for your other favorite program, Virginia

This guy is better than Willis so it's a win!

Nice Trade!
He’s better than Willis but we don’t know if he’ll be eligible
I'm torn just because I love to see these guys come in and play right away, but I'm still thinking Peterson reaches a higher potential sitting out this year. It wouldn't kill us, we should be deep enough and talented enough this year with the guys we got. Give Peterson time in the weight room and against Big Ten competition as scout in Year 1 and I think he could develop into a nice playmaker as a RS JR and SR.

Robbins is a different story obviously. He's ready to go and we need him.
Disagree, we need Petersen this year.

I'd like to get to point we have that luxury. Pitino doesn't have benefit

And our next coach won't have that benefit, and if he's rs players and losing early, people will want him ( or unlikely her) fired

I know Wisconsin wanted reuvers to RS but plan was scraped when they needed pf in lost season

I have no problem with RS if coach and player want too, but even you're beloved Badgers seem to do it less. Maybe they'll get back to it, which takes away from your pieces added comment

I wish this boards obsession with Wi would end.

The negative or positive obsession for UW is because they have been so successful. FYI, i cheer for the Gophers when we play UW.

I wish this board's obsession with Wi would end.

That'd be basically one person that obsessively posts about his beloved BADgers and tries to derail every thread. Just click ignore, he's gone, problem solved.

I'd like to get to point we have that luxury. Pitino doesn't have benefit

And our next coach won't have that benefit, and if he's rs players and losing early, people will want him ( or unlikely her) fired
That is why you build with high character guys you can lose with first because you establish a culture and a identity first. Everyone can see what your doing and they buy in because it starts to take and you see it in a gifted leader day one. Once your own guys are jr's and seniors your meaningful and getting even better players and cultivating momentum every single day.

The negative or positive obsession for UW is because they have been so successful. FYI, i cheer for the Gophers when we play UW.

They've been consistently good with quite few early exits in Tournament

Of course their tournament success is 1000x better.

My concern is gophers getting better. I don't really care what wi does. I think change will be incremental. I think, and agree with you, time to move from Pitino. But until that happens Pitino and gophers have my support

That'd be basically one person that obsessively posts about his beloved BADgers and tries to derail every thread. Just click ignore, he's gone, problem solved.
You and i will now block each other saving the board the hassle. Everyone else can decide for themselves. I merely want what UW has. 20 years of a beatdown is long enough.

They've been consistently good with quite few early exits in Tournament

Of course their tournament success is 1000x better.

My concern is gophers getting better. I don't really care what wi does. I think change will be incremental. I think, and agree with you, time to move from Pitino. But until that happens Pitino and gophers have my support
Agree.

Gordon Hayward lite.

Quick 4-minute highlight video analysis: reminds me of how really good D3 players look, and i mean that as a compliment. Seems to have all the tools and tricks to score and create shots for himself and others might not be the most athletic player on the court but still gets by people and can score at all 3 levels. Moves very fluidly and has solid handles for his size could cause some mismatches. Hopefully they can get him to campus as early as possible and add a little bulk. Definitely seems to provide a type of game that we dont currently have on the roster. Hopefully he can keep his confidence up more akin to Springs vs. the Stulls of the world. Wide range of expectations from starting to Redshirting, fun to speculate with nothing else going on. Heres to hoping he can continue his upward trajectory and avg similar numbers to what he did at rice here next year. If he can get his 3% up to the mid 30s i think we would be in business.

Any word on his defense?

Looks like a team that could develop to have some good depth if Pitino allows and doesn't continue running the starters out there for 35+ minutes a night. (assuming eligibility) I am guessing they will schedule accordingly.

Very nice “consolation prize” after losing out on Walton. In fact, as much as I wanted Walton, I feel sort of a “good riddance” to him now, as ultimately he rejected our team to play for Cheater University. I’ve always hated Duke and now UNC is right up there with Puke. Walton dropped way down in the respect column for choosing them. Anyway, Peterson actually wanted to be here, so welcome to Minnesota! You are now one of us, while we won’t remember who that guy was that went to UNC (what was his name?) ... I don’t really care anymore!

Has to be hard for a recruit to hear that they are second fiddle to someone. I am assuming Pitino told him that his offer was only good if Walton didn't commit. I am just happy this saga is over.

Others are still continuing to do it with great success. It is in the recruiting, it is the kids choice. Some kids like the idea of reaching their full potential, adjusting to college life, getting stronger and learning from older, stronger players.
It also helps with guys getting on track for graduation because not all credits transfer

Has to be hard for a recruit to hear that they are second fiddle to someone. I am assuming Pitino told him that his offer was only good if Walton didn't commit. I am just happy this saga is over.
That he was “second fiddle” makes me pull for him all the more to succeed. Hope he works his butt off and becomes a nice player for us.

I am excited. Seems like a nice player, I like that he wants to be here and with his commitment, I’ve totally moved on from Walton. However: I can’t get the name Brock Stull out of my head. So- I’m being cautious with my optimism

I am excited. Seems like a nice player, I like that he wants to be here and with his commitment, I’ve totally moved on from Walton. However: I can’t get the name Brock Stull out of my head. So- I’m being cautious with my optimism
Peterson does not look like a threat to get pudgy any time soon...

Bulking up is so 90s. I don't think its necessary for a today's basketball player to get huge. He could add 5-10 lbs this summer and be good to go. The bigger issue: can he raise his 32% 3-point shooting clip? He needs to be 35-40% to help this team.

Thought somebody should put a video up before page 4....;)
Okay, couple questions: I have been seeing 8 ppg....how does someone with these highlights only avg 8? 2. Peterson is a huge upgrade over Willis....no? 3. Why were we waiting? Does Walton have a better highlight video? Walton is shorter. Walton can't make a decision. This guy gets the opportunity and boom "I'm coming!" Go Gophers!
We do need the NCAA to help us out one time.

Gordon Hayward lite.

Quick 4-minute highlight video analysis: reminds me of how really good D3 players look, and i mean that as a compliment. Seems to have all the tools and tricks to score and create shots for himself and others might not be the most athletic player on the court but still gets by people and can score at all 3 levels. Moves very fluidly and has solid handles for his size could cause some mismatches. Hopefully they can get him to campus as early as possible and add a little bulk. Definitely seems to provide a type of game that we dont currently have on the roster. Hopefully he can keep his confidence up more akin to Springs vs. the Stulls of the world. Wide range of expectations from starting to Redshirting, fun to speculate with nothing else going on. Heres to hoping he can continue his upward trajectory and avg similar numbers to what he did at rice here next year. If he can get his 3% up to the mid 30s i think we would be in business.

Any word on his defense?

Looks like a team that could develop to have some good depth if Pitino allows and doesn't continue running the starters out there for 35+ minutes a night. (assuming eligibility) I am guessing they will schedule accordingly.

He was the third leading scorer on a 15-17 Conference USA team with a few 0 fer games, a 1-9, some 2-8's. A very very lite Gordon Hayward.

Okay, couple questions: I have been seeing 8 ppg....how does someone with these highlights only avg 8? 2. Peterson is a huge upgrade over Willis....no? 3. Why were we waiting? Does Walton have a better highlight video? Walton is shorter. Walton can't make a decision. This guy gets the opportunity and boom "I'm coming!" Go Gophers!
11.1 ppg- 6.5 rb- 3.5 assists 32.8 3 pt % 2.7 to Everything good except the turnovers.

Willis had about the same 3 point % but shot terribly in Big Ten play after shooting well in non-conference. Peterson looks like an upgrade.

Bulking up is so 90s. I don't think its necessary for a today's basketball player to get huge. He could add 5-10 lbs this summer and be good to go. The bigger issue: can he raise his 32% 3-point shooting clip? He needs to be 35-40% to help this team.
I did a quick calculation over his last half dozen games (emphasis on "quick"). Over those games he shot 46% from the field, 39% from 3 point land, FT was 85% and he averaged 16.5ppg. All really solid numbers. Also looking at team season stats, he lead Rice in rebounds (6.5pg), assists (3.5pg) and steals (1.opg). You don't see that trifecta very often.

Season ave for this recent year was 11.1ppg. Agreed, seems like a great pickup to the team. Come on NCAA, give us the go to make it all happen...

Never heard of kid or saw him play. My hope is he can contribute, I don’t expect a star. My concern is time for team to gel

If pitino misses tourney, I suspect he’ll be fired. I suspect pitino knows this
Thst was my original point! In a perfect situation he sits the year,but this is an all hands on deck deal.

To quote that great bucket philospher, Michael Ray Richardson , 'The ship be sinking"

Also sounded per his interview both he and coach want him to go this year if he's eligible.

I did a quick calculation over his last half dozen games (emphasis on "quick"). Over those games he shot 46% from the field, 39% from 3 point land, FT was 85% and he averaged 16.5ppg. All really solid numbers. Also looking at team season stats, he lead Rice in rebounds (6.5pg), assists (3.5pg) and steals (1.opg). You don't see that trifecta very often.
Better odds with that Tri than me hitting one at the track?

Petersen is a good Minnesota name!

I wish the young man success here!

This worked out well for us with Willis. :rolleyes: I expect Carr back, but that could be a kick in shorts too. I agree it works well in certain situations, but like someone else mentioned earlier, the amount of transferring is unreal. So it's entirely possible that Drew sits, plays one year and then grad transfers. No thanks,

Top Bottom