Drew Peterson commits to Gophers!

per Marcus:

Peterson, who said he picked Minnesota over Creighton and Vanderbilt, has two years of eligibility remaining, but he is hoping to be able to play immediately next season.

“Minnesota kind of stuck out to me from the beginning,” Peterson told the Star Tribune on Monday. “It’s a great academic school and business school as well. But I really liked the roster for next year. They brought in a few transfers already. So, I think we really have a good shot to make some noise.”

The Gophers acted quickly to fill their last scholarship after Hopkins four-star guard Kerwin Walton announced earlier Monday he was picking North Carolina. Peterson joins fellow transfers Liam Robbins (Drake) and Brandon Johnson (Western Michigan) to commit to the Gophers during the late signing period.

Pitino’s pitch to Peterson was that he could fill a similar role to former Gophers star Amir Coffey, who had an All-Big Ten season in 2019. Peterson resembles Coffey’s all-around game and size, as a big guard with the ability to shoot from deep, facilitate and attack in pick-and-rolls.

“I had a great virtual tour with them,” Peterson said. “They really emphasized getting a guy who is versatile, can help facilitate and be a do-it-all guy. I think I can fill that role with their team.”

“Coach Pitino emphasized he wants to me to come in and play right away,” Peterson said. “I’m going to do anything in my power, but I hope the [NCAA] meeting goes well May 20. Coach Pitino wants me ready to go, so hopefully we can get me playing first year.”

Go Gophers!!

The size lineup they can throw out there if Robbins gets eligible - 7’Robbins,6’9”Johnson,6’9”ihnen,6’8” Peterson and 6’ guard Carr with 6’9” curry, 6’10 Mitchell,6’8”omersa - kalshaur at 6’5” and Mashburn at6’2” the little guys - holy crap!
forgot about 6’10” Freeman and 6’5”’ Williams -if everything goes right we will be super deep....
Yeah this should be a deep team this year

I'm torn just because I love to see these guys come in and play right away, but I'm still thinking Peterson reaches a higher potential sitting out this year. It wouldn't kill us, we should be deep enough and talented enough this year with the guys we got. Give Peterson time in the weight room and against Big Ten competition as scout in Year 1 and I think he could develop into a nice playmaker as a RS JR and SR.

Robbins is a different story obviously. He's ready to go and we need him.

Peterson had a very nice trajectory of improvement from his freshman year

I'm glad we got plan B... Instead of weeks of chasing

Love the guys that want to be here but people need to remember that rice is a mid major and to not pay that much attention to highlights. The Murphy kid wants to sit a year. That is what i want for Peterson.
Why? Let him play this season, he’ll probably get eligible.

I'm torn just because I love to see these guys come in and play right away, but I'm still thinking Peterson reaches a higher potential sitting out this year. It wouldn't kill us, we should be deep enough and talented enough this year with the guys we got. Give Peterson time in the weight room and against Big Ten competition as scout in Year 1 and I think he could develop into a nice playmaker as a RS JR and SR.

It may kill Pitino

Love the guys that want to be here but people need to remember that rice is a mid major and to not pay that much attention to highlights. The Murphy kid wants to sit a year. That is what i want for Peterson.
Agreed. Still a good player with nice potential but he needs time to get there.

It may kill Pitino
But is Peterson really that impactful this year coming from a mid-major? His numbers weren't great last year, they were good, but they'll most likely take a big hit moving into the Big 10 and getting a lot less minutes/touches. If he does get eligible, I really just see senior year as hopefully his big impact.

I could be wrong about it all, but these kids coming from mid-major to high level have a significant adjustment period as the data shows. Especially a kid trying to handle the ball and break guys down off the dribble. It's higher speed, higher physicality. He's gonna need to hit the 3 ball at a higher clip too.

I'm supporting the sit a year.

Agreed. I think some here are little over confident
Love the optimism but it is based on edited highlights of a terrible mid major team. Let the young men gain some strength, adjust to new mates and a rugged conference.

We're already in the wild west with transfers and it's going to get worse. Unless a freshman is totally over-matched like Freeman or Greenlee, I don't want anyone red-shirting or sitting out. We will rarely see the benefit on the other side.

I see this guy playing next year. I think he will do better than demir did this year. I also think tre takes big steps to being a solid contributor. It will be a 3 role covered by those guys and maybe ihnen. I like it.

I think it's clear he is not a starter. Either Ihnen or Mashburn start with Carr and Gabe.

We're already in the wild west with transfers and it's going to get worse. Unless a freshman is totally over-matched like Freeman or Greenlee, I don't want anyone red-shirting or sitting out. We will rarely see the benefit on the other side.
Others are still continuing to do it with great success. It is in the recruiting, it is the kids choice. Some kids like the idea of reaching their full potential, adjusting to college life, getting stronger and learning from older, stronger players.

Love the optimism but it is based on edited highlights of a terrible mid major team. Let the young men gain some strength, adjust to new mates and a rugged conference.

Never heard of kid or saw him play. My hope is he can contribute, I don’t expect a star. My concern is time for team to gel

If pitino misses tourney, I suspect he’ll be fired. I suspect pitino knows this

Others are still continuing to do it with great success. It is in the recruiting, it is the kids choice. Some kids like the idea of reaching their full potential, adjusting to college life, getting stronger and learning from older, stronger players.

There are few programs, even Wi has reduced rs kids......

I agree in some cases like Freeman. This kid is already a sophomore. If he's giving us even 5-7 meaningful minutes/game I'll take that over a theoretical 2022-2023 season.

There are few programs, even Wi has reduced rs kids......
Watch what UW does this year. Remember, they leave it up to the player. UVA will redshirt two. Super long history of that and not stopping or slowing down. Jay Wright does it too. It is possible that we have asked and everyone declined.

bottom line - Pitino and the Gophers need to have two completely different plans for next year.

One plan if the transfers are allowed to play immediately - and

one plan if the transfers are not able to play immediately.

remember all the posts about how Carr was going to get a waiver? Now it's "they're going to approve the rule change so all the transfers will be eligible."

this is the NCAA. betting on them to do 'the right thing' or the logical thing is usually a losing proposition.

If the transfers are not eligible next year, it's a whole different kettle of fish - maybe even lutefisk.

Watch what UW does this year. Remember, they leave it up to the player. UVA will redshirt two. Super long history of that and not stopping or slowing down. Jay Wright does it too. It is possible that we have asked and everyone declined.

I’m aware, but it’s not that common. Wisconsin May indeed get back to rs more. As of late, they haven’t much

Yep Crowl would be a good redshirt candidate for Bucky. They will need a few minutes out of Carlson and he wants to play.

I’m aware, but it’s not that common. Wisconsin May indeed get back to rs more. As of late, they haven’t much
That is part of the plan, do not be common. These things are by design and part of a plan.

Last edited:

Top Bottom