Donation page to buyout Pitino - Fire Him!

Pitino's offense is not much difference than any other top 25 team. The good teams just have better shooters.

Much like Tubby, Pitino has recruited length/athleticism over pure shooters. The results are a poor shooting basketball team.

I agree that you don't fire a college basketball coach mid-season with-out extremely serious or disturbing circumstances, but the general feeling I got from the original post and some comments was; "We want him out of here tomorrow!", with no real thought of what we would do about the day after tomorrow.

I just see a lot of mud being thrown up against the wall in frustration, with-out any idea if any of it would actually stick.

Pitino's offense is not much difference than any other top 25 team. The good teams just have better shooters.

Much like Tubby, Pitino has recruited length/athleticism over pure shooters. The results are a poor shooting basketball team.
What about defenses that consistently rank 10th or worse in the conference. What about blocking out.

Not once did I see anyone dribble for almost an entire shot clock during this game when the announcers just called out how bad the ball movement is ... totally different offensive approach

Huh? The 4 games to start the Big Ten are all top 15 teams in the nation (three of them I consider serious Final Four contenders). Before the season began, many people on GH were saying they'd be happy if we went 1-3 during this stretch.

All of you can complain to your heart's content on the Fire Pitino thread that already exists, but a Donation-Fire thread after the season's first loss is an embarrassment and a total joke. I don't care how ugly that game was or your opinion of Pitino's time here. Makes this fanbase look terrible.
It was an honest question

No issues w saying that first 4 teams are all good

But to just be content losing to them is embarrassing

Not saying we should fire. But to deny everything being on the table year 8 is ludicrous.

Gophers will make the tourney back to back years. No need to fire Pitino.
You are on drugs. Two MN high schoolers went one and done last year - neither wanted to play for him. MN are lighting it up for some of the best teams in the country - they too didn’t want to play for him.

There is a reason they don’t want to play for him.

Only in America can you fail to do your job to the point that in year 8 having 60+% of the guys you recruit be considered useless is a way to DEFEND your performance

Well done, sir!

You are on drugs. Two MN high schoolers went one and done last year - neither wanted to play for him. MN are lighting it up for some of the best teams in the country - they too didn’t want to play for him.

I'm not trying to defend Pitino because his record indicates that he will be unlikely to establish any consistent level of success here. However, the very best of those Minnesota high school players likely would not have come here with a different coach either. The days of getting someone like Kevin McHale just because he was a native son are long gone.

They didn't want to play for the University of Minnesota. I doubt if we fire him and hire somebody like Medved or Dutcher all those guys like Nnaji, Dawson, Dianja are going to come here. At least they are going to have to win a lot of games before they can land those guys. And i think Richard can win a lot of games these next two years with this team he has assembled.

Of course some of the ones that left would have stayed to play for a successful coach. Someone maqy have built a powerhouse by now.
Exactly, and let's put the 5-stars aside for right now, since that seems to be the point of contention. For me, it's the 3- and 4-stars who've gone elsewhere and have gotten all-conference honors and helped their teams win conference titles and make deep tournament runs.

Exactly, and let's put the 5-stars aside for right now, since that seems to be the point of contention. For me, it's the 3- and 4-stars who've gone elsewhere and have gotten all-conference honors and helped their teams win conference titles and make deep tournament runs.
So many 3-4 stars are under rated and outplay many of the 5 stars. Most of the time they stay longer as well. Make use of redshirts . And please, please play great defense.

Look. When local sportscasters are running stories on MN players who went to other schools and are making big impacts, then pointing out how Pitino had no shot at recruiting them, you know it's time to move on from this ten year deathmarch. (That's counting Tubby's last two years, too.)

Last edited:

Look. When local sportscasters are running stories on MN players who went to other schools and are making big impacts, then pointing out how Pitino had no shot at recruiting them, you know it's time to move on from this ten year deathmarch. (That's counting Tubby's last two years, too.)
Maybe step away from the bottle once in a while.

If we didn't beat Louisville in the tourney Pitino would be gone. That was a young team with a first year coach. Blame them as much as Coyle. Now that we beat STL Pitino will be here another 5 years!!!

Only in America can you fail to do your job to the point that in year 8 having 60+% of the guys you recruit be considered useless is a way to DEFEND your performance

You miss the point. Pitino should be dinged for recruiting. Kudos though for coaching a team up that had two players and getting them to the verge of the dance. He has done an excellent job of maximizing the talent he has. Also maximized talent in 16-17 and 18-19. (17-18 wiped out with injuries.) Not sure if any other coach could have done better with these teams.

Still think he should of done more with two all-conference level players last year.

Especially a big and a guard.

You miss the point. Pitino should be dinged for recruiting. Kudos though for coaching a team up that had two players and getting them to the verge of the dance. He has done an excellent job of maximizing the talent he has. Also maximized talent in 16-17 and 18-19. (17-18 wiped out with injuries.) Not sure if any other coach could have done better with these teams.
I am positive that there are several coaches that would have done much better. He has recruited equal to UW and UVA and never came close to what they accomplished.

Again, saying nobody could have coached the bad roster he assembled better as a defense of his tenure is mind-boggling

Again, saying nobody could have coached the bad roster he assembled better as a defense of his tenure is mind-boggling
Just by being a top 5 conference defensive team we would have won many more games. There are many coaches who would do that.

Top Bottom