Donation page to buyout Pitino - Fire Him!

If you can't recruit good players, you can't win consistently. You don't need all 5 stars to win but you need enough talent and enough guys that fit your system otherwise you'll get fired.

The reason Coach K, Wooden, Summit, Auriemma, Knight, etc etc etc are all good is because they have good players. How did they get those good players? They paid them! (or recruited them) and that is why they win.

Tony Bennett doesn't have a team of 5 stars but he has talented guys that fit his system really well. It is on him if he has untalented guys that don't fit his system.

Pitino having a shit bench, no depth and guys that don't fit whatever his system is falls on him, as the head coach.

Agree

When will the refunds for the donations previously made arrive?

I made the difficult decision to not contribute. But would think it only fair if a minimal interest payment/user fee be included in said refund checks. :)

Last edited:

Job of coach is by end of season to have exceeded expectations. Happened in both 18-19 (those two wins over a highly rated Purdue team were nice) and 16-17. Most eveybody would classify those seasons as successful and enjoyable. 17-18 of course was wiped out. Last season we also exceeded expectations as explained in post 215.

Last season we were undermanned from a talent perspective. This season has yet to play out. The jury is still out on our freshmen - sophomore classes. At the end of the day it is not good enuf to have the talent to only be on ncaa bubble consistently. We will see.
A coaches job is to build a program that wins championships.

2012 was the debacle clasd of charles buggs and wally ellenson. 2013 commits to tubby were 3 guys who were going to be nearly as bad (cant remember their names.)

I get that, he had one bad recruiting class (2012). The 2011 class was strong. The 2013 was OK (Ellis and the PF who went to Texas Tech) when Tubby got canned, who knows how that would have finished.

I get that, he had one bad recruiting class (2012). The 2011 class was strong. The 2013 was OK (Ellis and the PF who went to Texas Tech) when Tubby got canned, who knows how that would have finished.
Was all for moving on from Tubby even though he only got 6 years. He was tired and comfortable in the soft landing we offered. Another terrible plan to hire to win the press conference.

Was all for moving on from Tubby even though he only got 6 years. He was tired and comfortable in the soft landing we offered. Another terrible plan to hire to win the press conference.

Yeah, I was all in favor of moving on from Tubby. I'm just saying the "injuries and suspensions" defense of Pitino would have then been true of Tubby. I think coaches, after a few years, are responsible for the roster. That includes recruiting guys who don't get suspended and having depth.

But yeah, I was in favor of moving on from Tubby too.

Foster

Yeah, I was all in favor of moving on from Tubby. I'm just saying the "injuries and suspensions" defense of Pitino would have then been true of Tubby. I think coaches, after a few years, are responsible for the roster. That includes recruiting guys who don't get suspended and having depth.

But yeah, I was in favor of moving on from Tubby too.
Every coach could complain about injuries. Excuses are a loser mentality.

Apparently nobody agrees with or understands me so you are in good company. Regarding last season, after carr and oturu will you agree that our other players would basically have not started on any other big ten team? So our starters were a 2nd and 3rd? team all conference players and 3 bench caliber players. Yet we finished 8-12 in the toughest conference and 5 of our losses were nail biters. To me that speaks of good coaching and poor recruiting.
That speaks to poor coaching because recruiting is part of coaching at the Collegiate level also if you got 2 all-conference dudes then you should have the right role guys around them to be successful. He didn't even have a system to get the most out of guys who weren't their 2 starting caliber players. Wisconsin roster isn't nothing that special but their coaching develops guys and put guys in the right position to win

That speaks to poor coaching because recruiting is part of coaching at the Collegiate level also if you got 2 all-conference dudes then you should have the right role guys around them to be successful. He didn't even have a system to get the most out of guys who weren't their 2 starting caliber players. Wisconsin roster isn't nothing that special but their coaching develops guys and put guys in the right position to win

Kind of a wash with all conf teams. According to coaches, gophs had a 2nd team and an honorable mention. Badgers had two 3rd team players. Now personally i would make the argument that oturu and carr were better that happ and trice. However not good enough to overcome the talent gap the badgers enjoyed with the non - all conference players.

Agree regarding recruiting.

Last edited:

Kind of a wash with all conf teams. According to coaches, gophs had a 2nd team and an honorable mention. Badgers had two 3rd team players. Now personally i would make the argument that oturu and carr were better that happ and trice. However not good enough to overcome the talent gap the badgers enjoyed with the non - all conference players.

The talent gap with the rest isn't that large if you look at classes for both squads. It's player development more than anything and also maximizing your teams strengths

The gap between Gard and Pitino is significant. Coaches know this.Carlson, Wahl, NR and their parents think so. They did not pick UW based on UW having better players. They pick who they think is a better coach. Through the rosters, over the years the recruiting is damn near equal. Still think we have deeper talent, they have no one like Carr and that we should take them. Would go along way to finally finishing ahead of them in the conference.

Last edited:

Given the 2nd half schedule, how many more are mad as me?
Loss to Maryland and now Purdue.

after first half of the schedule, we all expect more wins.

I'll donate what I won betting Purdue when we were up 12 in the 1st half.

Coyle has known for at least a couple of years he needs to make a change. He has punted each and every season.

Nearly anyone that follows this team knows for certain, tonight, RP simply isn't a coach that can elevate this program and bring consistent NCAA appearances and much better conference finishes.

Coyle has known for at least a couple of years he needs to make a change. He has punted each and every season.

Nearly anyone that follows this team knows for certain, tonight, RP simply isn't a coach that can elevate this program and bring consistent NCAA appearances and much better conference finishes.

Coyle's theory seems to be to just wait it out until hardly anyone cares about this team anymore. It's working pretty well.

Where are the Pitino bobos??

You get what you're willing to settle for.

The Gophers get a lead in the first half and then get out-played badly in the 2nd half. This has happened far too many times in Pitino's years here.

It was just a matter of time before the real team came to light. I said a long time ago that we would not be good. We have a less than average coach, with mediocre players. That is not a good mix. Cant really recruit. Cant really coach. Cant really get a fan based fired up about their team.

Take the money hit and find a coach that will get people excited about Gopher Hoops and who can start recruiting. How can we not have one shooter on the team? I can go to my local high school and find a kid who can shoot a better percentage than our guys.

Coyle's theory seems to be to just wait it out until hardly anyone cares about this team anymore. It's working pretty well.
Certainly followed that strategy with men's hockey. Seems intent on doing the same with men's basketball.

I’d have let him go two years ago when one of his up year teams finished under .500 in the big ten

My goal for gopher basketball isn’t to finish top 50 in the country. It is to finish top 4-5 in the big ten more years than not.

It is what it is. I thought he’d get this year because everyone knew they’d be bad last year including Coyle. I do think he could get fired this year.

20 games left.
I think 6 or fewer wins (including St. Louis) and he is for sure gone. I think 7-13 or 8-12 the rest of the could be gone but he has a chance to stay.
If they go 9-11 the rest of the way do they make the tourney at 15-12? I’d think they’d be close to the bubble considering 10 games remain against top 25 teams.
Everything I said here I still stand by.
I think 15-12 and a big ten tourney win and they make the ncaa tourney and he keeps his job.

miss the tourney and he is gone

is what I think will happen. What I want to happen is different. Will let the season play on and be open to changing mind but I thought he should be let go when 2 seasons ago we were under .500 in conference. Nothing so far this year has changed my mind yet.

A few weeks ago after they announced the schedule change to the NCAAs i would have said you are safe to work Thursday as they are just doing the first 4 games. As we currently look it seems like the first 4 games are firmly in play so better make sure you can get Thursday through Monday off =).

Certainly followed that strategy with men's hockey. Seems intent on doing the same with men's basketball.
The conference change had more to do with it in hockey than anything...but yeah.

Everything I said here I still stand by.
I think 15-12 and a big ten tourney win and they make the ncaa tourney and he keeps his job.

miss the tourney and he is gone

is what I think will happen. What I want to happen is different. Will let the season play on and be open to changing mind but I thought he should be let go when 2 seasons ago we were under .500 in conference. Nothing so far this year has changed my mind yet.
I know someone referenced Coyle setting championship aspirations for the Gophers in this past offseason (maybe the offseason before that) and he had made that clear to Pitino. Covid offseason just made the move impossible and I'm fine with that. I think Coyle is an intelligent guy and realizes what he sees when he watches these Gophers under Pitino.

Winning no games or missing the NCAA tournament and I fully believe Coyle moves on from Pitino. Coyle has to be confident in his ability to hire coaches. PJ has been great. Bob Motzko has been better. And I still think Lindsay will get the womens hoops back to a tournament level and beyond.

I think the only way Richard stays around is if he wins 1+ tournament games. 1 win in the tournament might not even be enough for him to keep it, specifically if they get embarrassed in the second round, or play in a way where they clearly were not going to win the game, similar to how Tubby was fired after our first round win.

Top Bottom