Donation page to buyout Pitino - Fire Him!

Ridiculous thread after one loss...

If the Gophers beat a good Saint Louis team on Sunday, that better be the nail in the coffin to this thread for awhile.

So stop recruiting poor shooters and low IQ players. If you recruit 60% FT shooters then u better do extra to develop them
I agree, it's been a long time since we have had actual basketball players around here.

Get me some of the types of guards Wisconsin has EVERY DAMN YEAR. Little speed, talent or athleticm, but loads of instinct, basketball IQ, defense, shooting. and toughness.

If the Gophers beat a good Saint Louis team on Sunday, that better be the nail in the coffin to this thread for awhile.
Sad but nearly every fan base has big complaints after any loss. This one is especially tough because of how little has been accomplished over a long period of time.

Sad but nearly every fan base has big complaints after any loss. This one is especially tough because of how little has been accomplished over a long period of time.
I agree. After a 7 year sample size, I don’t think you can call this an overreaction. I would call it a boiling over point where people have seen enough. I just want the barn alive again. That’s all I want.

And if they beat Saint Louis U while promptly losing to Iowa and MSU in the barn and Wisc in Madison...?

Is that STL win keeping you going? 0-4 start in the B10 acceptable?

I agree. After a 7 year sample size, I don’t think you can call this an overreaction. I would call it a boiling over point where people have seen enough. I just want the barn alive again. That’s all I want.
I remember how fun and thrilling it used to be. I'd hate to think this program is permanently in the doldrums and that we'll never experience the fun we had again. I hear so many saying that it's impossible, as if it never happened, almost to the point of revising history that it didn't. I think non-competitiveness has become people's comfort zone and complacency their comfort food. Fine, then; it's impossible to win at the U. I'm in. Let's stop talking about it and give Richard a lifetime contract.

Like I said, Pitino seems to be a nice guy, I like him, he's likeable. But eventually......

I remember how fun and thrilling it used to be. I'd hate to think this program is permanently in the doldrums and that we'll never experience the fun we had again. I hear so many saying that it's impossible, as if it never happened, almost to the point of revising history that it didn't. I think non-competitiveness has become people's comfort zone and complacency their comfort food. Fine, then; it's impossible to win at the U. I'm in. Let's stop talking about it and give Richard a lifetime contract.
When the barn is rocking there is nowhere else I would rather be. It can be one of the most intimidating atmospheres in college hoops. I get chills thinking about the deafening noise.

I agree with you. It feels as though people think it’s a lost cause and winning is some foreign entity. I believe this program has a lot more in the tank. At this point I would take mediocrity. What we have witnessed over the last 7 years doesn’t even qualify for mediocrity.

Reactions: sal

I agree. After a 7 year sample size, I don’t think you can call this an overreaction. I would call it a boiling over point where people have seen enough.

I think it is a bit of an overreaction simply because it's one game to one of the higher regarded teams in the conference. There's no difference in the standings between a close loss and a nearly 30 point loss. If this kind of loss had to happen, I'd prefer that it happened early in the conference season.

I understand that this is really about a 7+ year record of underachievement. In the past, I called for Pitino's firing frequently. I decided that I wasn't going to do that this season because 1) I thought Pitino did a very good job with spring recruiting and I wanted to see how that played out and 2) I was just happy to see the return of college basketball. If he has another poor season, I think he should be fired and I believe the chances of that happening if the season turns out badly are pretty fair. The buyout is cheaper than it's ever been and a coach can only be protected for so long. I certainly won't be unhappy to see him go, but I'm not going to get to riled up about that until the sample size is more convincing.

I think it is a bit of an overreaction simply because it's one game to one of the higher regarded teams in the conference. There's no difference in the standings between a close loss and a nearly 30 point loss. If this kind of loss had to happen, I'd prefer that it happened early in the conference season.

I understand that this is really about a 7+ year record of underachievement. In the past, I called for Pitino's firing frequently. I decided that I wasn't going to do that this season because 1) I thought Pitino did a very good job with spring recruiting and I wanted to see how that played out and 2) I was just happy to see the return of college basketball. If he has another poor season, I think he should be fired and I believe the chances of that happening if the season turns out badly are pretty fair. The buyout is cheaper than it's ever been and a coach can only be protected for so long. I certainly won't be unhappy to see him go, but I'm not going to get to riled up about that until the sample size is more convincing.
Fair enough, I understand where you are coming from. It is nice to have college bball, I agree. I’m with you that one game should never determine the worth of any player or coach. I think where we may disagree slightly is that for me the sample size is more than enough already.

In my sales role if I underperform for 2-3 years I will be fired. He gets paid much more than I do and it’s a similar role where the results are extremely measurable and clear to see.

And if they beat Saint Louis U while promptly losing to Iowa and MSU in the barn and Wisc in Madison...?

Is that STL win keeping you going? 0-4 start in the B10 acceptable?

Huh? The 4 games to start the Big Ten are all top 15 teams in the nation (three of them I consider serious Final Four contenders). Before the season began, many people on GH were saying they'd be happy if we went 1-3 during this stretch.

All of you can complain to your heart's content on the Fire Pitino thread that already exists, but a Donation-Fire thread after the season's first loss is an embarrassment and a total joke. I don't care how ugly that game was or your opinion of Pitino's time here. Makes this fanbase look terrible.

it's not after one loss, it's after 8 years of same issue. I don't have much hope for this season to be honest. year 8 we're still relying on transfers. I'm still watching a team that goes through long stretches of forgetting to move the ball, failing to box out, missed assignments

now some of above are probably due to the fact we're always playing with transfers and not guys that have been together

I don't hate transfers. Wi was a mess last year until Micah was available to them, suddenly they go on a tear. Transfers can be good to fill gaps, but when they're teh core of your team, that isn't good and that is where we are after year 8

My only thing I've seen positive out of Pitino, he generally does a good job with PG play

What is ridiculous is having guys on full scholarships to a Big Ten school that flat out just don't try. That is what is ridiculous. If I were coaching this team, I'd watch film and anyone not boxing out and playing lazy would be on the bench for the next couple games.

Pitino's teams have been consistently poor at defense, rebounding, and getting good shots in their offense.

And if SLU beats us by 20 does that put the nail in Richard’s coaching career at Minnesota, because I think it should based on the overall record he has produced here.

Huh? The 4 games to start the Big Ten are all top 15 teams in the nation (three of them I consider serious Final Four contenders). Before the season began, many people on GH were saying they'd be happy if we went 1-3 during this stretch.

All of you can complain to your heart's content on the Fire Pitino thread that already exists, but a Donation-Fire thread after the season's first loss is an embarrassment and a total joke. I don't care how ugly that game was or your opinion of Pitino's time here. Makes this fanbase look terrible.
You have got to be joking.

The Illinois game was the embarrassment. The performance of the team. The repeated mistakes and lackluster offense. Giving up 90 points. Getting beat is one thing. 4-5 guys WATCHING as the opposition boards.

Being slaughtered is quite another.

Well after 3 plus days of reading all the negative comments deserved or not, l’m wondering if you received 5 dollars towards the buyout or just a penny for there thoughts?

You have got to be joking.

The Illinois game was the embarrassment. The performance of the team. The repeated mistakes and lackluster offense. Giving up 90 points. Getting beat is one thing. 4-5 guys WATCHING as the opposition boards.

Being slaughtered is quite another.
I am in 100% agreement with you. I think our fanbase is quite patient to be honest. Do you think any “real” program would tolerate a 48-83 conference record? I can assure you the answer is no. We have given RP a very generous shot at this. I don’t think this thread is embarrassing at all.

I agree, it's been a long time since we have had actual basketball players around here.

Get me some of the types of guards Wisconsin has EVERY DAMN YEAR. Little speed, talent or athleticm, but loads of instinct, basketball IQ, defense, shooting. and toughness.

But but...the Gophers have "length"!

Those of you that are complaining, are you willing to pony up to pay off RP and then quite a bit more cash to pay for the new coach? I think most of us think/know we need someone new, but the MN Athletic Department has typically been too tight with the purse strings to pay for a coach that will make a difference. I've seen it many times. The Gopher boosters that have the $$ (my opinion, maybe not theirs) to do something like this have been hesitant in a lot of sports over a lot of years.

I am in 100% agreement with you. I think our fanbase is quite patient to be honest. Do you think any “real” program would tolerate a 48-83 conference record? I can assure you the answer is no. We have given RP a very generous shot at this. I don’t think this thread is embarrassing at all.
As far as what this program tolerates...

If the Gophers win fewer than six conference games this year, Pitino's career conference winning percentage will fall below that of George Hanson, who resigned after one disastrous season.

Without knowing much about the exact finances of the situation, keeping Pitino around after this season will ensure the Barn is empty next year, costing millions of dollars and increased apathy in the program. We need to stop the bleeding.

Coyle is gonna have to man up and be willing to take shit from the press saying Pitino’s buyout could’ve been used to save track, but men’s bball is essential to an athletic program and Pitino has simply failed.

Coyle has made solid hires so far, and he’s a bball guy, so there is reason for optimism. If it ends up being Dutcher, then I’d imagine he’d be willing to coach here for a reasonable price. Bottom line: Pitino has got to go.

Most of the complaints about Pitino do not come from a place of expertise, it's just really a basic understanding of basketball. We aren't breaking down the read-option in football or anything. Most of the gripes (which I'm sure you're referring) are in reference to an absolutely stagnant offense without ball movement and way too much dribbling. It's kind of basketball 101. It took the announcers about 5 minutes of watching us play to point it out. It's an obvious and catastrophic flaw in our system. It's been a problem for 8 years.
True. But Tubby's offenses were the same. No ball movement, 1v1 offense. I don't recall Clem's teams being a virtue of x's-and-o's basketball either. Maybe it's just a U of M thing.

As soon as I saw this and started reading through the comments, my first thought was: "OK, we fire Pitino. Who is going to be the Head Coach, starting Jan. 1, 2021? I'm guessing we are talking Interim Coach for the rest of the season. Who will it be? Then, the second question is, who will be the Head Coach, starting Sept. 2021?

I'm not asking who do we like or who do we want. I'm asking, who is a absolute, sure bet to take the Minnesota job if it is offered? I keep seeing Dutcher mentioned because of the way his contract is worded, but are we positive he would leave San Diego and come to Minnesota over the summer, or is he just leaving the option open for a few years down the line?

Are there any other names, that the Gopher Hole Likes, that the Gophers athletic dept. is positive will take the job if offered?

True. But Tubby's offenses were the same. No ball movement, 1v1 offense. I don't recall Clem's teams being a virtue of x's-and-o's basketball either. Maybe it's just a U of M thing.

Tubby's offenses were better than Pitino's. I am not a huge Tubby defender either, I was fine with him being fired and I'm not advocating that we hire him after firing Pitino.

With Clem, he wasn't a technician but we had the basics of basketball down. It was also a different time (everyone played a bit different). He wasn't a technician, but our current offense is actually actively bad.

As soon as I saw this and started reading through the comments, my first thought was: "OK, we fire Pitino. Who is going to be the Head Coach, starting Jan. 1, 2021? I'm guessing we are talking Interim Coach for the rest of the season. Who will it be? Then, the second question is, who will be the Head Coach, starting Sept. 2021?

I'm not asking who do we like or who do we want. I'm asking, who is a absolute, sure bet to take the Minnesota job if it is offered? I keep seeing Dutcher mentioned because of the way his contract is worded, but are we positive he would leave San Diego and come to Minnesota over the summer, or is he just leaving the option open for a few years down the line?

Are there any other names, that the Gopher Hole Likes, that the Gophers athletic dept. is positive will take the job if offered?

You don't fire anyone mid-season. You wait to see how it shakes out. I mean, he could turn it around. Even if he doesn't, I would wait until the end of the season.

Top Bottom